Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Boultbee Flight Academy Spitfire Simulator

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Back from Goodwood having had my first Spitfire Mk9 Simulator Flight (belated Birthday present from Mrs Jakarta).

Thoroughly recommended for aspiring Spitfire Pilots of all ages. Managed to deck it on my first loop attempt :blush: but subsequent one was much better and did rolls to left and right. You go from Goodwood in whatever direction you want, I flew around the IoW and back to Goodwood in my 30 minutes. I'm booking my next flight for the New Year and will definitely get a few more sessions in before I do the real thing next summer, hopefully do some take-offs and landings next time.

As a bonus my Instructor took us into the Boultbee Hangar to look at the 2 Spits currently there and Mrs Jakarta and I had our photo taken in front of their Mk9 in D-Day trim.

Then went to Fox Goes Free Pub for late lunch, pint of Sussex Gold and a very good Burger, Christmas has come early. :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Back from Goodwood having had my first Spitfire Mk9 Simulator Flight (belated Birthday present from Mrs Jakarta).

Thoroughly recommended for aspiring Spitfire Pilots of all ages. Managed to deck it on my first loop attempt :blush: but subsequent one was much better and did rolls to left and right. You go from Goodwood in whatever direction you want, I flew around the IoW and back to Goodwood in my 30 minutes. I'm booking my next flight for the New Year and will definitely get a few more sessions in before I do the real thing next summer, hopefully do some take-offs and landings next time.

As a bonus my Instructor took us into the Boultbee Hangar to look at the 2 Spits currently there and Mrs Jakarta and I had our photo taken in front of their Mk9 in D-Day trim.

Then went to Fox Goes Free Pub for late lunch, pint of Sussex Gold and a very good Burger, Christmas has come early. :thumbsup:

Sounds absolutely brilliant. Goodwood is a great place to experience speed and I've had some great times and experiences there. I've still got to sort a birthday present from my kids there, but my plan is to be a lot lower than you, if both our events go to plan :thumbsup:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That sounds fantastic.
Did you get a real sense of speed and handling?

Yes it does pitch and roll. Handling is amazingly sensitive, you can fly it with your fingertips in a straight line, obviously roll and loop requires rather more input and the simulator does make the control surfaces more difficult the harder you pull the joystick in whatever direction.

An absolutely joyful experience, got to do it again.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Yes it does pitch and roll. Handling is amazingly sensitive, you can fly it with your fingertips in a straight line, obviously roll and loop requires rather more input and the simulator does make the control surfaces more difficult the harder you pull the joystick in whatever direction.

An absolutely joyful experience, got to do it again.
Sounds excellent and good preparation for the real thing.good luck.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can you simulate dogfights with Germans?

I believe the simulator does do missions as well, you are supposedly flying a fully armed LF Mk IX as flown in 1944-45, I would guess that you have to do a few warm up flights before you are unleashed on the Luftwaffe, in my case maybe more than a few...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here