Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Plumbing advice

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Where else to turn other than NSC.

I detected a leak from the kitchen ceiling this morning and have a plumber coming tomorrow. Will the plumber access the pipe from the kitchen ceiling or the upstairs floorboards?

I assumed it would be via the floorboards but a quick look at google suggest a horrific hole in the ceiling is coming my way.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I detected a leak from the kitchen ceiling this morning and have a plumber coming tomorrow. Will the plumber access the pipe from the kitchen ceiling or the upstairs floorboards?

I assumed it would be via the floorboards but a quick look at google suggest a horrific hole in the ceiling is coming my way.

One thing you can rely on with plumbers, is how careful they are with a multi-tool and a crow-bar.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming

Wanna swap with me? My ( just started ) leak I've just traced to the Macerator in the eaves of the loft conversion. Water it certainly aint that's collecting in my kitchen strip-light diffuser. Hey-ho eh?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Have you tried.............:facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I know which I would guess but I wouldn't want to upset one of NSC's longest standing cliques. You'll get some professional information shortly, between lunch and afternoon tea :wink:

Unless it's one of the clique coming tomorrow :eek:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Taking sections of ceiling down is always the last resort! and rarely ever done.
Is the floor tiled?
Can you see where the leak is coming from, noticed any water behind toilet/basin?
Is the leak getting worse? If so it could be on a hot/cold/heating supply. If not it could be on a waste pipe.
When you noticed it had someone just used the toilet or had a bath/shower?
What's the silicone seal look like around edges?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Taking sections of ceiling down is always the last resort! and rarely ever done.
Is the floor tiled?
Can you see where the leak is coming from, noticed any water behind toilet/basin?
Is the leak getting worse? If so it could be on a hot/cold/heating supply. If not it could be on a waste pipe.

The floor is carpeted in the upstairs bedroom.

I have only noticed water on the ceiling in a long thin line presumably where the plaster boards join.

It’s not getting any worse. I only noticed it after the heating had been on for an hour.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
The floor is carpeted in the upstairs bedroom.

I have only noticed water on the ceiling in a long thin line presumably where the plaster boards join.

It’s not getting any worse. I only noticed it after the heating had been on for an hour.
Oh I see, well he'll deffo be having the carpet/floorboards up then. Have you noticed the pressure on the boiler has dropped

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Use a screwdriver and slowly "dig" a hole in the ceiling near to the leak avoiding the joist if you can this will allow the water to drip through obviously use something to catch it in downstairs it will stop the possibility of damage to the whole ceiling. Once it's fixed and dried out then you only need to fill a small hole and re-paint perhaps using a stain block.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
When they go up through the ceiling it’s because of tiled floor or sunken shower tray. No other reason.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Is the floor tiled?

Guess who had to take part of their own ceiling down? :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here