Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Following on from the BBC censorship....

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Meh.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I don't know why anyone bothers covering it. It's not a song that lends itself to multiple interpretations. You can do it in a whisky soaked, down at heel, romantic style or you can not do it. If you do the first option then who'd want to listen to your version when we have Kirsty & The Pogues?

For me the only good thing about the latest attempt by the 'we fear change' culture warriors to use the song as a wedge issue was the little bit of attention it provided to the Pogues as a whole. This article from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-frank-capra-christmas-fairytale-of-new-york makes the point that we get Fairytale to saturation point every year, but that we seldom get any of their other masterpieces on the radio.

If Bon Jovi wants to cover a Pogues song, there are so many to choose from and quite a few (Misty Morning Albert Bridge, A Rainy Night in Soho, Lullaby of London, Thousands are Sailing) that could withstand his Springsteen-lite approach far better than Fairytale could. If he wants to make a Christmas album then why choose something dark and painful? Sing the happy ones. If you want a song to suggest that you have a complicated artistic side, write your own.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
I don't know why anyone bothers covering it. It's not a song that lends itself to multiple interpretations. You can do it in a whisky soaked, down at heel, romantic style or you can not do it. If you do the first option then who'd want to listen to your version when we have Kirsty & The Pogues?

For me the only good thing about the latest attempt by the 'we fear change' culture warriors to use the song as a wedge issue was the little bit of attention it provided to the Pogues as a whole. This article from The Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-frank-capra-christmas-fairytale-of-new-york makes the point that we get Fairytale to saturation point every year, but that we seldom get any of their other masterpieces on the radio.

If Bon Jovi wants to cover a Pogues song, there are so many to choose from and quite a few (Misty Morning Albert Bridge, A Rainy Night in Soho, Lullaby of London, Thousands are Sailing) that could withstand his Springsteen-lite approach far better than Fairytale could. If he wants to make a Christmas album then why choose something dark and painful? Sing the happy ones. If you want a song to suggest that you have a complicated artistic side, write your own.

Spot on, Stato!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yeah but don't forget Woody lives in Australia where they don't censor ANYTHING and where mullet powered rock lite has always been right up there with shit beer and casual racism. I bet it's MASSIVE there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah but don't forget Woody lives in Australia where they don't censor ANYTHING and where mullet powered rock lite has always been right up there with shit beer and casual racism. I bet it's MASSIVE there.

Almost as massive as moving to Australia then spending most of your time looking to be offended by the UK and UK institutions.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Thread done.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Awful.

I've seen Bon Jovi in concert a couple of times and very much enjoyed it, but that is embarrassingly shite on multiple levels.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
For the nth time, it's not BBC censorship – a different version was approved for ONE radio station. The rest of them are free to play the original.

As for that cover? Not my bag, but each to their own :shrug: I'm sure the people losing their shite over the Radio 1 decision was be equally up in arms at JBJ for 'ruining' the song...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

dingalingaling ....!! aye , yes and firkin do one.....:upyours

:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Awful.

I've seen Bon Jovi in concert a couple of times and very much enjoyed it, but that is embarrassingly shite on multiple levels.

I saw Bon Jovi play their first ever UK show as support to Kiss at the Brighton Centre. All of the people I went with were raving about them, whereas I was deciding that heavy metal was becoming a bit of a dead end for me. A year or so later, they were number one in the charts and I was going to see the likes of The Wedding Present, Robyn Hitchcock and The Pogues instead. Kiss didn't even wear make-up!

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
35 years ago I remember hearing a song called Runaway by a band I'd never of called Bon Jovi and it filled my young heart with joy.

This just fills my old heart with sorrow.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
For the nth time, it's not BBC censorship – a different version was approved for ONE radio station. The rest of them are free to play the original.

Yes. Its a radio edit. Radio stations play them all the time and this one was recorded by the band who support its use.
The BBC featured the full lyrics of FOTNY in its most watched TV show of 2019 - a show that they're repeating in primetime BBC 1 this xmas eve.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
Its terrible,it sounds like a really, really bad kareoke version rather than a cover.
It's a Shame because Bon Jovi have a great sound,he should have done a bon Jovi version of an old Christmas classic rather than try to copy a modern classic.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Couldn’t be more wrong.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was a shit song originally ( about as Christmassy as diarrhea - a song about beating up your partner ?? FFS ) and it's still shit whoever covers it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here