Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Danny Wellbeck

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Just wondering what opinions are so far on his signing.

I was underwhelmed when we signed him, and his first couple of performances were ordinary, but after his superbly taken goal against Villa I began to wonder if his signing might yet prove a masterstroke. Against Southampton, I thought he was lively and dangerous in the first half, but anonymous in the second.

Overall, I'm still not sure about him. He's about as valuable as Connolly to us Imo, albeit for different reasons. I just wonder whether someone better might have been available in January?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
On Monday I was struck with the thought that the team's policy is now:-

Pass to Danny.

It was classic Fresh Prince :lol:

The thing is, it might just work, he's rather good.

Edit - Oh and I took exception with one poster saying Maupay is really off form.
I was countering with 'the was panenkaing a couple of months ago'.
Monday night would suggest I was wrong, he really looked like a player that doesn't trust himself.
Not an accusation that can be leveled at Mr Welbeck.

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

I was underwhelmed when we signed him, and his first couple of performances were ordinary, but after his superbly taken goal against Villa I began to wonder if his signing might yet prove a masterstroke. Against Southampton, I thought he was lively and dangerous in the first half, but anonymous in the second.

Overall, I'm still not sure about him. He's about as valuable as Connolly to us Imo, albeit for different reasons. I just wonder whether someone better might have been available in January?

I don’t disagree with any of the above, I’m looking forward to one day seeing him score a couple of decent goals for us but fear he’s overdue an injury anytime soon.

In a side note and I appreciate this could be construed as lazy racism but every time I watch him he minds me of Eddie Murphy’s sidekick in Coming To America

4f97aeb32a7af6cd19620a23dc5c3f5e.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I don’t disagree with any of the above, I’m looking forward to one day seeing him score a couple of decent goals for us but fear he’s overdue an injury anytime soon.

In a side note and I appreciate this could be construed as lazy racism but every time I watch him he minds me of Eddie Murphy’s sidekick in Coming To America

4f97aeb32a7af6cd19620a23dc5c3f5e.jpg

Absolutely brilliant film. So clever how they played so many different characters...the barber shop was superb!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I think if fit he is our no.1 striker. He is imho far more valuable to the side than both Connolly and Maupay already. He has understood the club from the get go. Having now seen him live, he is stronger in the air than I thought, his movement and link up play is very good. If we can have the guile to get him into good positions, he will score.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think if fit he is our no.1 striker. He is imho far more valuable to the side than both Connolly and Maupay already. He has understood the club from the get go. Having now seen him live, he is stronger in the air than I thought, his movement and link up play is very good. If we can have the guile to get him into good positions, he will score.

Yes,I agree.
And he is getting better each game.
He is now our main striker but leaning towards a mauapy partnership rather than Connolly.

scooter1

How soon is now?

I would have said that most of the team were anonymous in the second half until they scored the 'penalty'.
I to was underwhelmed when we signed him, as historically it seems he's gone missing between October and March most years. However, he's doing well and is currently fitter than I presumed. Hopefully this can continue and he can start putting some away. It does mean that Maupay seems to now be playing support striker, and this is a position i'm not sure he's suited to..

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

Yes all of this.

I was delighted when we signed him as I knew what a good player and character he was and his performances so far have been really impressive. He's our best striker and now possibly up there with Bissouma as our most important player as without him, like Biss, we don't have a suitable alternative and we're left with a strike force of just Maupay and Connolly which would not fill me with confidence for the rest of the season at all.

As I said elsewhere, he's exactly what we've needed from a striker for the entire time we've been in the Premier League.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Much, much more value to us than Connolly who really has flattered to deceive IMO. Think he needs to go and play the second half of the season in the Championship.

I too was really underwhelmed by Welbeck but he has been excellent. First choice for me by a fair distance.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, looks to have goals in him

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm hoping to see him strike up a good partnership with his smaller, nippier strike partner. Hopefully he'll be able to create chances for them as well as taking his own. His work rate has impressed me so far. Like all strikers he will have games where he is shackled but overall its looking like a positive signing for me

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i think he will do well with Maupay , Connoly is too raw , i just don't understand why , when you have all week on the training ground that when you are sent on as sub the assistant mgr has to show you what to do on a piece of paper or an iPad ....ffs come on eh...??

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I think he is the most "complete" striker we have - far more awkward to deal with and different to both NM and AC - stronger in the air, stronger technique, physically able to offer something different. I think his combination with Maupay at Villa looked really promising as Maupay appears more willing to drop in deeper at times, whereas connolly arguably happier playing on the shoulder, running towards goal..

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Still mildly awestruck at having him playing in Albion blue, in the same vein as us having Kuszczak between the sticks always felt somewhat surreal to me. I know I should get over these things, but.

Peggy Babcock, Babcock Peggy
Danny Wellbeck, Wellback Danny

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I've lost track of this thread now but I can honestly say I prefer Billy Connolly to Eddie Murphy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here