Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] RIP Paolo Rossi

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Sad to hear of his sudden death this morning at the age of 64 , great striker who had an incredible world cup in 1982 RIP Paolo

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, no age to go.

He lit up the 1982 tournament, especially in that classic 3-2 match with Brazil.

He was like Toto Schillacci a few years later - largely anonymous domestically but then found goals easy to come by in one specific tournament. 1982 was Rossi's tournament.

Rip Paolo Rossi. You leave good memories.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes...another sad loss. Villain turned hero in one glorious afternoon in 1982, when he confounded everybody who was saying that this great Brazilian side would storm the competition. What a game of football. Brazil needed a point to go through. They had Zico, Falcao and Socrates in midfield ( wow !!! ) The classic poacher who came good with a hattrick and proved that it doesn't matter how good you are going forward, if you have flaws at the back, you can be exposed. He ignited that Italian side to go on and win the competition and became a national hero.
He was the central part of one of the great World Cup matches. Brazil scored two fantastic goals. They swept forward in glorious style but this little, tousle-haired Italian was having none of it and wrote his name into history. He always claimed his innocence in the Italian betting scandal, which saw him banned for two years and miss the 1980 Euro's. He had a point to prove and proved it. The bad boy came good. One of the greats of Italian football.
RIP

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
RIP Paulo, gone too soon, but, what an incredible World Cup he had in '82. A marvellous legacy which will always be remembered.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
He was like Toto Schillacci a few years later - largely anonymous domestically but then found goals easy to come by in one specific tournament. 1982 was Rossi's tournament.

Rip Paolo Rossi. You leave good memories.

I wouldn't say that he was largely anonymous domestically - he scored roughly a goal every two games in Serie A, that's a decent record. He wouldn't have been playing for Italy if he was a poor player.

But he was on fire in that tournament and, 38 years later, I still think that the Brazil-Italy game is the best one I've ever seen.

Maradona and Rossi within a fortnight :down: Hope Pele's feeling OK

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP Great player and shone brightly at the Spain '82 World Cup

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
A good couple of months without any more of my childhood heroes going would be great

RIP Paolo

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I wouldn't say that he was largely anonymous domestically - he scored roughly a goal every two games in Serie A, that's a decent record. He wouldn't have been playing for Italy if he was a poor player.

But he was on fire in that tournament and, 38 years later, I still think that the Brazil-Italy game is the best one I've ever seen.

Maradona and Rossi within a fortnight :down: Hope Pele's feeling OK

That Brazil v Italy game was one of the best ever World Cup games, there are highlights on YouTube worth looking at just for the commentary from the great John Motson

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Just looking at that Brazil/Italy game. It's sad to think that already four players from that game are no longer with us - it was fewer than 40 years ago!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
RIP Paulo, gone too soon, but, what an incredible World Cup he had in '82. A marvellous legacy which will always be remembered.

Would have been at the 1980 Euros but was serving a ban for the Totonero scandal..... Played for my mums team and a club I still try to follow - Perugia.

RIP Paulo.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
82 is the first World Cup that I was old enough to take a real interest in and still remember now. Every kid at school knew the name Paolo Rossi..... RIP

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I always think that top athletes should live longer than average...all that exercise, stronger heart and lungs etc, but it doesn't seem to work like that ???

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I am horrified - I went on my first Foreign Holiday with all my mates to Rimini in Italy and was there when Italy won the World Cup - Obviously the Country went mental and loads free drink flowed because of it. Paulo Rossi was the Golden Boy of that team. I thought he was younger than that.

Very Sad to hear that he is Gone:(

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
That Italian team of 1982 were very, very good. Just re-watched that match. Rossi could not put a foot wrong.

And because there was no VAR, it is pure theatre. Loved it.

RIP Paolo. Legend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here