Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Brighton 1964 Rockers v Mods

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Mods & Rockers

Found some wonderful old clips of the seafront, bored working class kids finding their identities siding with who they can identify more with.
The Mod working class, smartly dressed, Italian scooters, Modernernirst who wanted to move away from dated Rock'n'Roll, so they went further back to the blues for influence and jazzed it up with an English feel.
The Rocker or Ton up Boy again working class, dressed for work and practicality when working on a greasy bike, with the sound of Gene Vincent ringing in their ears whilst smoking a fag whilst doing a 100mph on the North Circular.

I was only born in 1969, so by the time I was a youth these had come around again although this time the rockers had disappeared and the Mod revival was in full swing late 70s early 80s. Although I like the scooters I could never be a mod, having been listening to my dads Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochran records from a young age, I progressed to Rockabilly but we had no mass seaside fights with anyone, just the local youth and skinheads in towns or clubs and at gigs.

So who was there in the 60s ? was it all just really handbags ? who had a scrap in the 60s ?

https://youtu.be/pN7EIpqrPw8

https://youtu.be/8K5AgYw97cY

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I had a Bonnie 750 in the 80's , but spent more time taking apart and repairing then I ever did riding though :blush: . Wonder were she is now

Scoters were for wimps

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Was a Velocette Venom, 500cc single cylinder, just slightly tuned, man (or should I say boy) at the time. Being a 17 year old Police Cadet I made sure to stay way out of the way of trouble. I was also a member of the Southern Observers Motorcycle club that met at the Stamford Arms, Preston Circus on Thursday nights. Most weekends there was an event of some sort on, track racing at Brands, (dare I mention CP), Thruxton, Snetterton etc. Winter time saw us at grass track or trails events, often marshalling so we ensured never to be around weekends when trouble was likely.

So answering the OP's question all us true bikers stayed well out of the way of trouble - they did used to pull my leg somewhat at Lewes Police Station though!

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
I was 10 and desperately wanted to go down the seafront to see what was going on. Unfortunately mum wasn’t having any of it.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
I was there, aged 2. My parents decided on a leisurely stroll along the seafront with me in a pushchair. A hasty retreat was made. Years later I asked them, as intelligent people, what were they thinking, but, apparently, it was completely unforeseen. Even the police were caught out when it kicked off.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
There was some pretty nasty clashes I've heard, possibly even as bad or worse than football hooligan meets.

I'd be f*cked though. I like the dress style of the Mods but prefer the music of the Rockers.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I was born on Monday 3rd August 1964, which was the last year the Bank Holiday was at the beginning of the month, it was all going on the day Harty arrived ��

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
My dad (a rocker) was there. Got into a fight and ultimately jumped off the Palace Pier, kicked his boots off and swam back to shore. :)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I was a teenager in the early 60s.... I remember it very well, from a distance though.My conventional upbringing kept me away from the action

The same. I left school in 64. The seafront fights were generally between out of towners although I think some of the locals did get involved. I don’t remember any problems in Portslade or Shoreham.
It was just on Bank holidays, and when the police turned out in force, they all went to Margate or Southend instead.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
We are the Mods, we are the Mods, we are, we are, we are the Mods.
Only born in 1968 but in my 40th year as a Mod. (Still love original rock and roll - Little Richard, Chuck Berry) Can't stand motorbikes and leather clothing, both genuinely stink!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here