Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simplistically, what do you think is our biggest problem?

Simplistically, what do you think is our biggest problem?

• Scoring goals

Votes: 181 65.3%
  • Stopping the opposition from scoring goals

Votes: 96 34.7%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My gut feel from watching our games is that we just don't convert enough of our dominance into good chances, and not enough of our good chances into goals. In short, it feels like our main issue is at the attacking end of the pitch.

Stats, however seem to suggest the absolute opposite.

In the first 11 games of four Premier league seasons, we've never scored more than this season, and also never conceded more.

So, keeping things simple, at which end of the pitch is our main issue currently??

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We had 2, maybe 3 sitters last night. Bury those and we are talking a different game.

Missed pens. Missed sitters. Not bloody clinical in front of goal.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It feels like there are generally more goals being scored this season across all games.
VAR seems to be having an impact here with defenders working out how to deal with increased penalties being given against them.
This may attribute to our increased goals conceded and also indicate that our increased goals scored is similarly increased.

In short it isn't a simple question.
But it certainly feels like we don't convert enough of our chances.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The stats thread showed we've scored more goals at this point than in any previous season since promotion, so clearly that's not our problem.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The Manager. He's picking a team which isn't getting the results. He is the problem. Too many defenders on the pitch in various positions, but we're not good defensively. He is scared of the goalkeeper, so he's trying to build a team to protect him from having to face any shots. Which then has the effect of not creating enough chances and shipping simple goals.

Abandon the ineffective 3 at the back and start playing players in their natural positions and we'll shoot up the table. Terrible news for Veltman, Webster and March but it'll be better for the team to have a flat back 4 with Burn or Bernardo starting at left back.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Think it's simple, not quite good enough in either box. It is such fine margins at this level that you need a goalkeeper that can make saves when it's not expected every so often and strikers who are clinical when opportunities come about, and we lack both.

That will/is costing us big time in the long run as generally speaking the games are so tight.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The other team.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Scoring goals is more important than saving goals - you can't win if you don't score. In the PL one error is all it takes to lose a goal with the standard of strikers we play against we therefore have to score more goals as we are never going to be perfect in defence for 90 minutes.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Where's the option for 'Ongoing lack of investment in proven EPL-level quality players'? ???

Presumably you'll be piling in some of your millions to take our spending even higher than our position of the 5th highest net spenders in Europe?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The stats thread showed we've scored more goals at this point than in any previous season since promotion, so clearly that's not our problem.

My issue with that is we sacked a manager and hired a new one to be more attacking, score more goals. It's reasonable to conclude that by attacking more, you are going to concede a few more. Not ideal, but you can't hire a manager to be more attacking, then expect him to keep a tighter a defence than the manager you sacked for being too defensive.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It is ironic as we are scoring more than ever, but the chance conversion rate is totally undermining all the good play that team are producing. Last night was a case in point multiple decent moves (especially 1st half) that resulted in scrabble chances and we just balloon the ball over or send massively wide.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Our shooting is hideous. Connolly & Maupay missing the target entirely from inside the box (positions that I can guarantee opposition strikers would put away against us) happens far to regularly for my liking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is easy. We are conceding to many.

However, it appears we are missing too many toom but this is because we are creating far more chances than last year and, especially, under CH. That explains the mismatch between what we may feel to be the case and reality.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
My gut feel from watching our games is that we just don't convert enough of our dominance into good chances, and not enough of our good chances into goals. In short, it feels like our main issue is at the attacking end of the pitch.

Stats, however seem to suggest the absolute opposite.

In the first 11 games of four Premier league seasons, we've never scored more than this season, and also never conceded more.

So, keeping things simple, at which end of the pitch is our main issue currently??

As always I find myself agreeing with you, simply put if we converted fifty percent of our chances in front of the goal we would be richer by at least 6 points now, simple as that

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Scoring goals is more important than saving goals - you can't win if you don't score. In the PL one error is all it takes to lose a goal with the standard of strikers we play against we therefore have to score more goals as we are never going to be perfect in defence for 90 minutes.

I'd be fairly happy with our position if we'd not conceded any goals this season. We'd be 7 points clear at the top having only dropped points against Burnley of all teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here