Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Match experience last night?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Leaving the football bit to one side I was wondering what those that attended the match last night thought of the experience generally?

For me I got the train up and back with no hassles. Getting in was relatively easy with a quick scan and an ID check. No beer was a downer and the burger I had was shockingly bad.

The atmosphere was better than I expected despite everyone being spread out (fair play to those in the North Stand who kept the songs going for most of the game :clap2:). Being spread out was the worst bit TBH, not being able to sit next to my son and chat easily wasn't great and and I saw the stewards moving a couple of young kids away from their parents which felt heavy handed. Also good to see some things never change; still puzzled by the people who left at 80 mins I assume to beat the non existent rush?

All in all I'd go again if the Tiers fall kindly for me, felt good to be back :thumbsup:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I enjoyed it, there was a sense of normality, us playing well for a half and then losing to a shocking VAR decision.

I found it bizzare that I wasn’t allowed to stand with someone from the same household as me, it seems strange that I can have someone behind me closer than a member of the same household but I can understand why they do it as it people would probably lie and stand together and it saves the hsssle of deciphering who and who isn’t telling the truth. It felt like the AMEX could comfortably cater for well in excess of 2000 safely.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
No beer ? not seen that discussed

Was that a one off or the rules for all games.

That is a put off to attending

The rules are you can serve beer but you have to be seated and you're not allowed to take booze into the stands. I assume getting in a load of chairs and having people congregating on the concourse drinking wasn't worth the hassle for the club

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The rules are you can serve beer but you have to be seated and you're not allowed to take booze into the stands. I assume getting in a load of chairs and having people congregating on the concourse drinking wasn't worth the hassle for the club

Out of interest, are the club permitted to sell beer outside the stadium?

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Out of interest, are the club permitted to sell beer outside the stadium?

Don't know but the Harvey's bar was shut as well. I guess the club could get around it and say they were take-away sales like those bars on the seafront

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It was great to be back.

The East stand was quieter than I would have liked, so no change there.
Will be back in the North stand as soon as i get a chance

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The whole thing was well planned out and well executed by the club.

That said the whole experience was incredibly discombobulating.

My evening was:-

Leave home - 18:30 (a least 90 minutes later than 'normal')
Get held up by the A27 closed at Broadwater.
Leave BW at about 19:10.
Feel anxious about being late.
See stadium for the first time 19:30
Arrive at Stadium 19:31 :ohmy:
Reversed in parking space in Bennett's, as instructed.

Tickets and ID took a few seconds.
QR Code read from phone screen, no need for paper copy
In for pie and fizzy pop, just as warm up was ending.

THE CLUB MUST PUT GOSBTS WORDS BACK UP FOR MONTAGE.

Most of us missed the start as it seemed like the volume was down.

Home in the further reaches of B(w)est Sussex 34 minutes after final whistle.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I had my first visit to 1901. I appreciated the free pie and drink and a pep talk from Mullers buts it’s not for me. They did have beer though.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
It was great to be back at the Amex again, although it was a very different experience from usual. I parked in the bridge car park, usually I come by train but I’m not comfortable with spending over 4 hours on the train at the moment. Having said that, the trains that I saw arriving at Falmer before the game seemed pretty quiet. I thought that the hand sanitiser station on the way to the stadium was a good touch, although probably a little superfluous on a night like last night when nearly everyone was wearing gloves. I didn’t see any hand sanitiser in the concourse area or in the toilets though, but maybe I didn’t look hard enough, as I had brought my own with me anyway.

It was a little odd not being able to sit immediately next to my daughter, but I can see why it would make it easier to steward if everyone sits in their designated seats, so I don’t really have an issue with this. I also commented to my daughter that during the game I preferred her being a few seats away, as she tends to want to talk during the game and I don’t! I tried my best to keep the singing going in the East, but I’m not one for singing all the way through the game, sometimes I want to just chill for a bit and watch the game. Despite this, I did find the moments of silence a bit awkward.

Rather fortuitously I ended up in my usual seat, so it was very strange not having my usual neighbours. I quite enjoy catching up with the people around me and having a moan about what’s happened on the pitch at half time, so this was something missing from my usual match day experience. On a positive note, not having to queue to get a pie before the game was a bonus. Ordinarily I’d have a beer as well, but seeing as I was driving this didn’t bother me last night.

I didn’t notice anyone leaving early, but if they did, I really don’t understand their motives, but each to their own. Getting out of the car park at the end was fine too, I probably sat in the car for around 10 mins before we got out. The northbound closure of the M23 was a bigger issue for me as I didn’t know about it and a ridiculous detour via Felbridge which added about 40 mins to my journey time and caused me to get home at around 12.45 - can’t blame the club for that though.

As for the game and VAR, that’s one for another topic....

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
I had my first visit to 1901. I appreciated the free pie and drink and a pep talk from Mullers buts it’s not for me. They did have beer though.

WHA? You had beer? I had to resort to drinking the hand sanitiser in the bogs

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
weird, because the bars were open for the chelsea friendly.
wonder what made them close them?

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
The noise on the telly is impressive. Much better than the canned stuff.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Most of us missed the start as it seemed like the volume was down.

I was going to ask about/mention that - the tannoy volume in the East seemed pretty quiet, I thought. From what you're saying, as a regular, I believe, that's not normally the case?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was going to ask about/mention that - the tannoy volume in the East seemed pretty quiet, I thought. From what you're saying, as a regular, I believe, that's not normally the case?

Tough to say either way for the general content.

But I'd wager the princely sum of 6 English pence that GOSBTS was most definitely quieter than usual.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Queues for drinks at HT seemed just as long as normal?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here