Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glasses/Spectacles and face masks at football

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've posted this in other threads but I realise it needs it's own special place.

Last night I spent the first 20 trying to sort out the constant fogging of my glasses and I see a number of people having similar issues.

1) I went for taking them off completely. I am not too blind so could still follow the game but it was challenge to identify every player.
2) Then I put them on just for when we were attacking, that worked okay. It was useful that our goal was easy to have time to do this!
3) Then after about 30 minutes of this juggling act I adjusted my snood (and mask on top), so that the snood was really high on my nose, the glasses wedged firmly on my nose to try and trap the air in. With the mask over the snood, this worked reasonably well.
4)Then I adjusted my glasses further down my nose and looked out from them a bit like a mad professor and this worked the best.

It was enough to watch the match after that in relative comfort although my nose is sore today from the wedging.

Anyone else fair better and have advice to add. I've investigated online and the above is pretty much the considered technique but I can't help but feel there is a better way?

ps) I can't wear contact lenses.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Washing up liquid. Smear over both sides of lenses then wipe clean. Saw this tip on NSC t'other day and gave it a spin. Works really well.

Further proof, should any be needed, that NSC can be a force for good, as well as evil :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've posted this in other threads but I realise it needs it's own special place.

Last night I spent the first 20 trying to sort out the constant fogging of my glasses and I see a number of people having similar issues.

1) I went for taking them off completely. I am not too blind so could still follow the game but it was challenge to identify every player.
2) Then I put them on just for when we were attacking, that worked okay. It was useful that our goal was easy to have time to do this!
3) Then after about 30 minutes of this juggling act I adjusted my snood (and mask on top), so that the snood was really high on my nose, the glasses wedged firmly on my nose to try and trap the air in. With the mask over the snood, this worked reasonably well.
4)Then I adjusted my glasses further down my nose and looked out from them a bit like a mad professor and this worked the best.

It was enough to watch the match after that in relative comfort although my nose is sore today from the wedging.

Anyone else fair better and have advice to add. I've investigated online and the above is pretty much the considered technique but I can't help but feel there is a better way?

So I forgot about all the tips pre-match, I don't always wear mine and they were a bit mucky.

So before KO I used the concourse toilet and washed them using the hand foam in the sink with warm water, used the hand dryer to dry them off and this really helped. Perhaps condensing moisture struggles a lot more on a freshly cleaned surface. (see [MENTION=205]Tom Hark, Preston Park[/MENTION])

I did use the mask strip on my nose to have my glasses further down than I would normally that left a lot more space. It wasn't perfect, but it was a lot better than when I arrived at the ground!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I wore contact lenses so foggy lenses wouldn't be an issue and I would be able to see an excellent performance in all its glory.

TBH, wearing a mask when in my seat was annoying though. I haven't 'moaned' about any covid measures before, but I would really prefer not to wear one when seated.

Crennis

Apr 13, 2011
Pompey (send help!)
I saw a risk assessment at work which suggests rubbing a freshly cut raw potato over (safety) glasses to prevent fogging; needless to say the company aren't providing the potatoes.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I wore contact lenses so foggy lenses wouldn't be an issue and I would be able to see an excellent performance in all its glory.

TBH, wearing a mask when in my seat was annoying though. I haven't 'moaned' about any covid measures before, but I would really prefer not to wear one when seated.

Yes - this seems very odd. No need to wear mask when seated in a cafe, pub or restaurant but mandatory when seated OUTSIDE when socially distanced. I'm with you on this one.

But then we do need to remember that most of the "rules" have been made "on the hoof" with no logic or science behind them at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Washing up liquid. Smear over both sides of lenses then wipe clean. Saw this tip on NSC t'other day and gave it a spin. Works really well.

Further proof, should any be needed, that NSC can be a force for good, as well as evil :thumbsup:

This is what bikers do to stop their goggles from misting up.

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
Washing up liquid was a tip I was given for stopping my car steaming up on the day of my driving test - it worked a treat. I told this tip to my mate, who came back and said it didn’t work, as he had put washing up liquid on outside of the car windows.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

So there was fog at the Amex last night!

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
don't worry you wont be going again for a long time - club has 23,000 people to offer a ticket to until your time comes round again

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London

I have the same issue
And I can’t wear contacts
And I can’t afford laser surgery

I don’t have an answer ☹️

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Contact lenses or corrective laser eye surgery?
Sadly I can't do either.

Excellent, I will definitely be trying this. Presumably you put it on without water and then just wipe off?

I saw a risk assessment at work which suggests rubbing a freshly cut raw potato over (safety) glasses to prevent fogging; needless to say the company aren't providing the potatoes.
I had heard this as a tip for windscreens if your wipers stopped working. In theory it should the same thing for glasses. Might try this if the washing up liquid doesn't work.

I suspect the VAR ref had the same problem
I recall wondering the same.

Yes - this seems very odd. No need to wear mask when seated in a cafe, pub or restaurant but mandatory when seated OUTSIDE when socially distanced. I'm with you on this one.

But then we do need to remember that most of the "rules" have been made "on the hoof" with no logic or science behind them at all.
It does feel that it is very much for show and how it looks on the telly, especially as they fear fans hugging each other when goals are scored. They need to show it working well and have therefore brought in quite draconian rules which hopefully can be gradually relaxed.

don't worry you wont be going again for a long time - club has 23,000 people to offer a ticket to until your time comes round again
How kind, but priority window 2 for the Sheff United game so hopefully I will again.

I have the same issue
And I can’t wear contacts
And I can’t afford laser surgery

I don’t have an answer ☹️
See all of the above. All worth a try.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I tried everything but had to admit defeat and release my nose from the mask in the end. I pose zero risk to anyone as I’ve been nowhere and seen nobody and have almost certainly had a vaccine.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I tried everything but had to admit defeat and release my nose from the mask in the end. I pose zero risk to anyone as I’ve been nowhere and seen nobody and have almost certainly had a vaccine.

How do you "almost certainly" have a vaccine. I thought they had only started today - unless you bought a dodgy Russian one off the interweb.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
have almost certainly had a vaccine.

Eh? You've said that a bit like "I've almost certainly already had Covid already". Is that what you meant?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Depends a little on the type of glasses but easiest method is to make sure the mask is close to the top of your nose and sit the glasses on top of the mask. They don’t fog then. Helps if you wear a mask with a wire strip to hug the nose.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
To repeat the advice I gave on another thread (i think this was the comment that Tom Hark was referring to) -

Put one very small drop of washing up liquid into about an egg-cup full of water, mix it around, then dip a cloth / tissue in the liquid.
Wipe the cloth on the inside and outside of your glasses.
They will not steam up.
(Genuine, not a wind-up)

I guarantee it works :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here