Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Anthony Joshua

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Who else has ordered the big fight on Saturday night? Was a bit taken aback at first to see the £24.95 cost but the opportunity to see the peoples champion for the first time in nearly a year I am sure it will still get massive viewing figures. AJ is massively popular so people will stump up the cash and hopefully roar him on to another historic victory as he seeks to unify the heavyweight titles.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Who else has ordered the big fight on Saturday night? Was a bit taken aback at first to see the £24.95 cost but the opportunity to see the peoples champion for the first time in nearly a year I am sure it will still get massive viewing figures. AJ is massively popular so people will stump up the cash and hopefully roar him on to another historic victory as he seeks to unify the heavyweight titles.

giphy.gif :whistle:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
£24.95 to watch him fight another easy win? He’s a champion dodger that’s for sure.

Yawn.

Bit harsh, doubt AJ would be the peoples champion if he was a 'champion dodger'.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Has Joshua ever fought a class fighter in their prime? Answer is no. Has Fury dodged anyone? No.
About time we saw them fight each other. I know who I’d back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bit harsh, doubt AJ would be the peoples champion if he was a 'champion dodger'.
He obviously isn't some peoples' champion. Sky/PPV has taken boxing out of the mainstream - it's nice that the heavyweight champion is British, but getting excited about boxing beyond that?

Nah, not any more.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He obviously isn't some peoples' champion. Sky/PPV has taken boxing out of the mainstream - it's nice that the heavyweight champion is British, but getting excited about boxing beyond that?

Nah, not any more.

You're wrong, Sky and Sanchez Bailey sat he's the people's champion and I think they know more about this then you and I.

[tweet]1336067968426360833[/tweet]

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Since 2015 Joshua hasn’t fought anyone that he’s been anything less than a 1/10 favourite against, aside from old man past his prime Klitschko And even Ruiz the first fight he was 1/50 on to win. Until he beats the best he’s certainly not my ‘champion’

Modern boxing seems more about dodging fights you can very possibly lose, it’s not just Joshua but look at his last 10 fights, all fighters he’s clearly superior too, it gets dull. Probably waiting for Fury to be 40 before he takes that fight as well...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're wrong, Sky and Sanchez Bailey sat he's the people's champion and I think they know more about this then you and I.

Haven't heard of him/her. Their opinions don't matter to me. Boxing used to be a sport the whole world discussed in offices and factories the morning after a big fight.

Not any more. I doubt if more than 1 in 10 people could name any world champion at any weight, although a few would probably hazard a guess at Fury or Joshua. Boxing isn't a sport of the masses any more, whether you like it or not.
Thousands will know all about Tyson and Bruno and Hagler and Eubanks and Benn, etc, - but that was a generation ago (when it was available to everyone on terrestrial TV)! Just history now, for most people. Less of a work-place discussion topic than The Voice, or Get Me Out of Here.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Haven't heard of him/her. Their opinions don't matter to me. Boxing used to be a sport the whole world discussed in offices and factories the morning after a big fight.

Not any more. I doubt if more than 1 in 10 people could name any world champion at any weight, although a few would probably hazard a guess at Fury or Joshua. Boxing isn't a sport of the masses any more, whether you like it or not.
Thousands will know all about Tyson and Bruno and Hagler and Eubanks and Benn, etc, - but that was a generation ago (when it was available to everyone on terrestrial TV)! Just history now, for most people. Less of a work-place discussion topic than The Voice, or Get Me Out of Here.

Sorry I think you're wrong with AJ, he is massively popular. Despite high ticket prices he sells out everywhere he goes and has commanded some of the biggest audiences in boxing history. He could sell out Wembley Stadium many times over, he is an excellent role model for his legion of fans and that's why he's the people's champion. I don't think there are many people in the UK who don't know who AJ is.

May 5, 2020
Sussex

This,
Sky have turned boxing into a niche sport rather than something the whole country was buzzing about in the old days.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry I think you're wrong with AJ, he is massively popular. Despite high ticket prices he sells out everywhere he goes and has commanded some of the biggest audiences in boxing history. He could sell out Wembley Stadium many times over, he is an excellent role model for his legion of fans and that's why he's the people's champion. I don't think there are many people in the UK who don't know who AJ is.
Thousands now. Thirty or forty years ago, in the days when boxing was a national sport rather than a PPV niche one, those thousands would nave been millions.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
England 2003 winning World Cup rugby player diagnosed with dementia in his 40's, the same as some of the 1966 World Cup football winning team.
Not sure if I should be watching high profile boxing matches, but its something I enjoy. They deserve all the money they get.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Since 2015 Joshua hasn’t fought anyone that he’s been anything less than a 1/10 favourite against, aside from old man past his prime Klitschko And even Ruiz the first fight he was 1/50 on to win. Until he beats the best he’s certainly not my ‘champion’

Modern boxing seems more about dodging fights you can very possibly lose, it’s not just Joshua but look at his last 10 fights, all fighters he’s clearly superior too, it gets dull. Probably waiting for Fury to be 40 before he takes that fight as well...

I really don't understand this attitude.

Joshua has had 24 professional fights. In his last ten he has:

fought Dillian Whyte and won the British title.
fought Charles Martin and won the IBF world title
fought two easy defences.
fought Klitschko and won the WBO and IBO world titles
retained his titles in a mandatory defence against Carlos Takam, a two week replacement for Pulev.
fought Joseph Parker and won the WBA world title to go with his other world titles.
Fought Povetkin in a mandatory defence
Fought Andy Ruiz, another short term replacement, and lost.
Fought a re-match against Ruiz and won back all his titles.

Now he's fighting Pulev in another mandatory defence.

So in his last ten fights he has won the british title and three world titles(four if you count the IBO, which most people don't) and had mandatory defences. He lost one of those fights and had the rematch to get the titles back. Now he's in another mandatory defence.

Who exactly during those ten fights was he supposed to fight that is better than he has? The fights we all want to see are against Wilder and Fury. Wilder isn't going to happen because Wilder really is a champion dodger. Fury? There hasn't really been a realistic opportunity yet. It was never going to happen when Fury fought Wilder and since then we've had to wait on the first rematch and then for the second rematch clause to expire.

I think it's unfair to say that Joshua is a dodger. He has fought a consistently high calibre of opponent, higher on average than anyone else in the division. Yet he's the one that gets all the stick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here