Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The worst decision of the night...

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Danny Welbeck getting absolutely clattered INSIDE the box and having a foul given against him. The ref made a gesture to suggest he used his shoulder to make a foul. He didn’t. He got cleaned out.

It’s probably the most “clear and obvious” mistake I’ve seen in our games since VAR came in. I’ve seen a lot of “missed” incidents or verifications of fouls, but the ref got this totally wrong and VAR did naff all to help.
41674fd41d7782da5956146543b57bf5.jpg

Or did I miss something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
Funny seeing this, I was going to start a similar thread.

I'm not sure how much it's been covered elsewhere but It's beyond me how the ref gave a free kick against Welbeck.

Upon seeing the replay, it's clear Welbeck's fouled and inside the Southampton box. How has VAR not picked up on this?

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perfectly good header by the Saints defender who gets Welbeck on the follow through.

Never a foul. Never a pen.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I believe it ended up as a free kick to Saints? How do you explain that? My first reaction was penalty but the replay showed a very physical challenge so I kind of get, no foul or pen but a free kick against Welbeck? No way

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I think people are conveniently fogetting that we were utter dog shit in the game and are using VAR as a pathetic excuse to try and deflect away the real reason we lost.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I think people are conveniently fogetting that we were utter dog shit in the game and are using VAR as a pathetic excuse to try and deflect away the real reason we lost.

Bore off will you. I made a thread about a decision and once again you're adding nothing to the discussion.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I believe it ended up as a free kick to Saints? How do you explain that? My first reaction was penalty but the replay showed a very physical challenge so I kind of get, no foul or pen but a free kick against Welbeck? No way

Oh I think it's easy to explain, it was a nasty clash, Welbeck looked hurt and he wanted to stop the game so they should get treatment. The ref actually gives us a little moment to continue our attack but when it breaks down he stops the game. Can't give a foul against them as it would be a pen (and it wasn't), so gives a foul against Danny. Yes, could have been a drop ball. But this was simpler. Welbeck seemed fine when ref explained to him.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You know what... I've watched it back again and again and I think I've started to convince myself it might not actually have been a pen :ffsparr:

The defender does win the header, cleaning out Welbeck in the process.

Stand by what I said though. The decision to give a foul against Welbeck in this instance was the worst decision of the night.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Not setting up with this. Playing to our defensive strengths you'd have a back 4 of Veltman, Dunk, Webster, Burn with Lamptey in front of Veltman and March in front of Burn and White in front of the back four. Bissouma in the middle and Welbeck up top. I'd get Alzate in to the other spot. We wouldn't concede many goals with this formation ( I know, we wouldn't score many either - which we don't anyway!) and would be better at set pieces.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You know what... I've watched it back again and again and I think I've started to convince myself it might not actually have been a pen :ffsparr:

The defender does win the header, cleaning out Welbeck in the process.

Stand by what I said though. The decision to give a foul against Welbeck in this instance was the worst decision of the night.

I was only a few rows back in the North next to it and while it was a robust challenge and he took every opportunity to take man and ball, he won the ball cleanly. Danny wasn't hurt, I think he heard the reaction of the crowd and decided to stay down in case VAR was taking a look. As a former centre half, would have been very disappointed if that's given as a foul.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

really... utter dog shit ?... you thought we deserved to lose the game ?.... it wasn't a great game I admit, 2 sides cancelling each other out, but we did not deserve to lose it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The worst decision of the night?
I thought the answer was going to be- playing Ben White in midfield.

Yep, start to wonder if we should have let Leeds have him. Increasingly inconsistent

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here