Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player Ratings - Southampton (H)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Was at the game so apologies if I missed something obvious that you armchair pundits saw seven times

Ryan - 6 - did he make a save?
Lamptey - 6 - disappointing. They kept showing him inside and he subsequently looked poor
Webster - 6 - a couple of first half errors that could have been costly
Dunk - 6 - should he have done better for their first. Loved the passion, particularly in the last ten minutes
Veltman - 6 - just looks a bit lightweight to me
March - 6 - fabulous going forward first half, but seemed to get caught the wrong side for that dubious pen
Bissouma- 8 - Clear MOTM. Countless interceptions abd good challenges. Great distribution too
White - 5 - I didn’t notice him at all on the first half. Game seemed to be passing him by. Why play two defensive midfielders at home?
Gross - 7 - looked our best and at times our only creative outlet. Had three half chances that he might have done better with
Connolly - 6 - full of running but didn’t look a goal threat
Welbeck - 6 - started so brightly but faded second half

Maupay - 6
Ali J and Trossard N/A

Last edited:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Dire game. Boring line up. 3-5-2 has to end at home. We won’t win a home game with this formation.

All 6s except bissouma 7.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Player ratings v Soton

I can’t see another thread so here goes....
6 is average.

Ryan - 6 - didn’t do much wrong, didn’t have much to do actually, distribution was only so so.
Lamptey - 6 - first 20 mins was an 8 but then faded badly, his final ball is not yet consistent enough.
Veltman - 6 - steady, good player.
Dunk - 6 - not at his absolute best tonight but did OK.
Webster - 5 - solid but gave the ball away too often and too cheaply.
March - 6 - minus one for a silly foul (it was not a pen) otherwise I thought he did well, gives us balance.
Bissouma - 8 - MOTM, the best midfielder on the pitch, I fear we won’t keep him much longer.
White - 6 - did ok first half, faded badly second, I was surprised he wasn’t subbed earlier. IMO Potter needs to chose between Veltman and White for RCB.
Gross - 6 - marked up 1 for scoring, was a passenger for too many periods but still looked our most creative.
Welbeck - 6 - worked very hard and very good in the first half, faded.
Connolly - 5 - couldn’t get in the game at all, I was surprised it took GP over an hour to change it.

Maupay - 6 - looked a threat and lively when he came on, which should have been earlier IMO.
Trossard & AJ N/A

Soton are a good team, we matched them for long periods. Unlucky with a ridiculous decision but we don’t help ourselves.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Webster. Honestly, what does he bring to the team?
Rest of the team, all at sixes and sevens, but lacking a spark.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Ryan 6 - nothing to do about the goals, the distribution was not very good but it was difficult with Saints high pressure.

Lamptey 6 - his second worst game in the Albion shirt, didnt find spaces and took the wrong decision a lot of times. Still a threat.
Veltman 6 - average performance.
Dunk 5 - really needs to do better at the corner goal, of course winning the header against the Dane might not be possible but Dunk is in the position to disturb him but poor timing prevented him from challenging. Other than that, average.
Webster 5 - looked desperate to do well and that desperation led into doing things far more complicated than they should have been. Defending was ok.
March 7 - good first half, decent in the second.

Bissouma 8 - head and shoulders above everyone else tonight despite not being at his best.
White 4 - looked completely lost and Potter should have subbed him a lot sooner.
Gross 5 - some decent set pieces to no avail. Other than that it was a decent impression of the invisible man but not that good from a football perspective.

Connolly 5 - ran a lot, did very little.
Welbeck 7 - great first half, expected more from an experienced player like him in second half when the panic got obvious.

Maupay 4 - found great spaces and then gave away the ball over and over.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Ryan 5- played a few wayward passes and picked the ball out of his net twice. Think he may have caught one as well to his credit.

Lamptey 6- Not at his usual spectacular levels, but he did the basics. His only other noticeably average/poor game that I can recall was also against Saints at the end of last season, doubt that's a coincidence.

Dunk 6- The busiest of the three CBs, as usual. Did seem very aggressive, which made me a tad nervous. Couldn't really tell if it was him or Veltman at fault for the first and don't want to watch it back.

Webster 5- Gone right off the boil again recently. His supposed biggest strength (being a ball-playing CB) now seems to be his biggest weakness. Needs to be dropped.

Veltman 6- He was ok, prefer him at RB though. As per the second sentence on Dunk.

March 5- Good first half but bit of a stinker in the second. -1 as regardless whether the pen was in or out, it was a silly challenge which cost us a point (though we probably would've conceded anyway).

Bissouma 8- Best player out there by a mile. Turning into a proper midfield enforcer.

White 5- Yeah, I don't get why we are playing him in midfield. Totally ineffective.

Groß 6.5- Some very nice play but also some wasteful finishing.

Connolly 5- Looked like CMS 2.0 tonight.

Welbeck 6- Some nice play but never threatened the keeper. Needs Maupay alongside him.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ryan - 5 - Some bad distribution tonight . We all know he's a little shorter than the average keeper but he always had that extra something which made up for it. Unfortunately that's been missing for a while.
Lamptey - 6 - Just faded out of the game and never got himself back in it.
Webster - 5 - Their pressing game was always going to bring his weaknesses to the fore.
Dunk - 5 - This season has been his worse. No presence in our box or theirs anymore.
Veltman - 5 - Why is he marking Vestergaard at set-pieces?
March - 5 - Good first half at times but his bad decision making holds him back so much. Why challenge for the penalty, completely unnecessary.
Bissouma-7 - Best player on the pitch first half but then does his usual going missing. Needs to realise we need him for 90 mins.
White - 6 - Touch seemed off a bit
Gross - 6 - Can do some good stuff when he has bags of time but his lack of pace must make him a joy to play against. Couple of chances blasted way over the bar.
Connolly - 5 - Sorry Aaron you're way out of your depth.
Welbeck - 7 - Can unlock defences but his teammates weren't up to it.

Maupay - 6 - Lost faith in you ever scoring again.
Ali J and Trossard N/A

Potter - 3 - Too defensive at home is not working. When the game is slipping away so guilty of freezing like a rabbit in the headlights. Really questioning his motivation of the team now.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
Connelly poor tonight, messed up several promising situations first half.

Maupay also shite when he came on, so maybe its time to give Swiss Andy a go or Welbeck and Trossard up front.

Agree that Dunk hasn't looked the same player this season, by and large. He's not been bad but by no means the standout levels of the past few years

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ryan 6 - nothing to do about the goals, the distribution was not very good but it was difficult with Saints high pressure.

Lamptey 6 - his second worst game in the Albion shirt, didnt find spaces and took the wrong decision a lot of times. Still a threat.
Veltman 6 - average performance.
Dunk 5 - really needs to do better at the corner goal, of course winning the header against the Dane might not be possible but Dunk is in the position to disturb him but poor timing prevented him from challenging. Other than that, average.
Webster 5 - looked desperate to do well and that desperation led into doing things far more complicated than they should have been. Defending was ok.
March 7 - good first half, decent in the second.

Bissouma 8 - head and shoulders above everyone else tonight despite not being at his best.
White 4 - looked completely lost and Potter should have subbed him a lot sooner.
Gross 5 - some decent set pieces to no avail. Other than that it was a decent impression of the invisible man but not that good from a football perspective.

Connolly 5 - ran a lot, did very little.
Welbeck 7 - great first half, expected more from an experienced player like him in second half when the panic got obvious.

Maupay 4 - found great spaces and then gave away the ball over and over.

Think you missed a couple of defensive headers from Dunk which could have gone badly had he not got involved and he was a lot better than Webster so 6 for him at least. Would move Lamptey up to 6.5 as he did a lot of work.. March fine. Wellbeck missed a good chance and could have set tone for the game had it gone in. a Connolly clever lob won us the penalty... So Connolly 6 Wellbeck 6.5 . Thought Trossard had to score as well .

The margins are thin we were poorer 2nd half but we were pretty good in first and should have gone in 3:1 .

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I wonder how many times Dunk got a 5, from anyone, over the last 3 seasons, and how many times he's got 5 this season.
A worry.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
6 average with Webster and Connolly a 4. Both not good enough in my opinion.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Ryan - 6 Time to put Sanchez back in who has better distribution and height for set pieces

Veltman - 6 solid
Dunk - 5 looked an angry man all the game. His composure has disappeared. Would be near to getting dropped if Webster wasn’t shot.
Webster - 5 Looks an accident waiting to happen playing on the left

Lamptey - 6 good first half worst he has played second
White - 5 Not a midfielder. Please put him back where he belongs
Bissouma - 8 The only player to come out of the game with any credit
March - 6 ok but glimpses of the old March

Gross - 5 Ran around a lot but is shocking at 50/50 tackles and gets left isolated with his lack of pace
Welbeck - 7 good first half and no service second
Connolly - 5 blew his chance. What happened to the player we saw in Liverpool game.

Maupay - Thought he could not be worse than Connelly but he was. Time to give Zeqiri a shot next to Welbeck
Trossard - n/a
Ali J - n/a

Please play Alzate He had one bad game against Everton and not been seen since. Tell us why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here