Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The elephant in the room

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Alzate.

Why does our most exciting young player never get played.

If he's recovering from covid then don't put him on the bench.

Does one bad game against Everton really fall you that much out of favour?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It can't be based on one bad game else several of our players would be joining him in the wilderness

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont know but even if Potter wouldnt say that much about it it wouldnt hurt if just one of these beyond reasonably paid journalists would ask him the question.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It’s a total and utter mystery. He was MOM against United and a crucial part of our impressive early season performances. We are without doubt a poorer side with White in there rather than Alzate. We’re nowhere near as dynamic and decisive.

Alzate is a classy, talented, NATURAL midfielder. White is an outstanding defender doing a job in midfield and to be fair to him, he was very good first half today but it’s just not his position. Going forward, it can’t happen again, we’re handicapping ourselves from the off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
And it’s weird that he never brings him on. So why have him on the bench even?

Is it some kind of ploy from GP? I think he should be first team, but if he’s not going to use him as sub even, it seems like a wasted spot on the bench.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Think the answer lies in the fact that in 5 appearance he has committed 14 fouls, enough to put him 26= in PL. Klich & Soucek are top with 24, but they have played 10 & 11 respectively. An average of 2.8 fouls per game is scary enough to suggest there is some rawness that needs ironing out.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Alzate is indeed very exciting, but Bissouma and Gross are better players IMO. There’s an argument for Alzate to be played more, and definitely over White in midfield. Unless Potter really fears that a midfield 3 with Alzate, Gross and Bissouma isn’t defensive enough?

This isn’t something worth over analysing. I think it’s a matter of not risking Alzate where the players on the pitch are capable.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Think the answer lies in the fact that in 5 appearance he has committed 14 fouls, enough to put him 26= in PL. Klich & Soucek are top with 24, but they have played 10 & 11 respectively. An average of 2.8 fouls per game is scary enough to suggest there is some rawness that needs ironing out.

depends where you commit those fouls, if he is committing them up field does it matter how many , commit one on the corner of the penalty area then .....

I like others saw a flowing team at start of season which now seems to be very stifled.....

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Alzate is indeed very exciting, but Bissouma and Gross are better players IMO. There’s an argument for Alzate to be played more, and definitely over White in midfield. Unless Potter really fears that a midfield 3 with Alzate, Gross and Bissouma isn’t defensive enough?

This isn’t something worth over analysing. I think it’s a matter of not risking Alzate where the players on the pitch are capable.

The midfield in the second half were becoming less and less capable as the game went on.

Bissouma did his usual habit of going quiet, White is pretty much with his centre backs and Gross is woefully outpaced. The combination meant that we were completely dominated in that area.

Something had to be changed but the only real option was Alzate in that position. It seems like Alzate doesn't even get brought on even when we are desperate anymore.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Well that’s fine, and I trust Potter to know the player better than me.

But why have him on the bench then? I mean, if he’s not going to come on, give that spot to someone else?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I would question Alzates effort and commitment I'm training, GPott sees much more if him than us and he's a different player to White, more dynamic yes but also more erratic and more prone to errors and caught out of position. White allows those in front of him to do their jobs, unfortunately tonight those in front were not at their best.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The White in midfield thing, is out of an attempt to shoehorn our 4 very good central defenders into the team.

One has to drop out to accommodate a midfield change.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
How does a young player improve if he never plays?
Seriously. I know he played recently for the U23s, but he doesn't on the whole. He is now not even coming off the bench?
So, unless we are saying that playing competitive isn't a factor in young players improving, how on earth is he going to reach his potential? Same for Molumby. They basically only play international football.
Look at the way Liverpool handle Curtis Jones. Look at the Arsenal youngsters. Look at the development of Lamptey, Reece James, Mason Mount, Calvert Lewin, you can go on and on. Young players improve if they play.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Well that’s fine, and I trust Potter to know the player better than me.

But why have him on the bench then? I mean, if he’s not going to come on, give that spot to someone else?

Well only they know. Maybe he’s fit enough to play if needed? Like if Gross gets injured early on. I’m sure Alzate played in the U23’s recently so he must be fit enough for some action.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Because there is a total adamance from Potter to play both White and Gross come what may at the moment even if it means shoving a CB into midfield. Alzate should be in front of both for midfield positions. Always.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here