Date: Monday 7th December 2020
Kick-off: 20:00 GMT
Referee: David Coote
Assistants: Dan Cook, Nick Hopton
Fourth Official: Graham Scott
VAR: Peter Bankes
Additional VAR: Stephen Child

TEAM NEWS

Brighton will monitor the fitness of Neal Maupay, who was forced off against Liverpool with a hamstring problem.

Tariq Lamptey is back from a ban but Adam Lallana is ruled out after injuring his groin at Anfield, while this game may come too soon for Davy Propper and Alexis Mac Allister.

Southampton will assess Danny Ings, who returned to full training on Thursday after a month out with a knee injury.

Nathan Redmond may also come back into contention following a hamstring issue.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton are winless in the six Premier League meetings (D4, L2), conceding at least once in all of these games.
    [*=left]Southampton are unbeaten in their past seven matches against the Seagulls in all competitions (W3, D4).
Albion

• [*=left]Brighton and Sheffield United are the only teams yet to win a top-flight home game this season prior to the latest round of matches.
    [*=left]Albion's total of 10 points is their lowest at this stage of a Premier League campaign.
    [*=left]They lost three of their opening four league fixtures, but have been defeated just once in their subsequent six matches (W1, D4).
    [*=left]Brighton's last eight Premier League goals have been scored by eight different players, including a Jake Livermore own goal.
    [*=left]Danny Welbeck has scored five league and cup goals against Southampton, the joint-highest figure of his career against a particular opponent.
    [*=left]Solly March is set to become the fifth player to make 100 Premier League appearances for Brighton.
Southampton

• [*=left]Saints have scored in 16 of their last 17 league games, including each of the past nine.
    [*=left]They have earned 997 Premier League points, so victory would make them the 11th side to reach 1,000 points in the competition.
    [*=left]Southampton have dropped 42 points from winning positions since Ralph Hasenhuttl's appointment in December 2018, more than any other side during that period.
    [*=left]Three of the six goals from direct free-kicks in the Premier League this season have been scored by James Ward-Prowse.
    [*=left]The last player to score more than three free-kicks in a single campaign was Yaya Toure, with four for Manchester City in 2013-14.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Graham Potter's Southampton Press Conference

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
eNywxx6.gif

soccerstreams100(dot)tv
soccerstreams(dot)net

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Gonna be a long day.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Gonna be a long day.

It’s been a long week! It seems an age since we last played.
I’m not confident of this one. Given our frailty in attack, defence at free kicks, you know what could happen. Ings, if he plays , and Ward-Prowse are dangers

Still.... up the Albion! You just never know with us. At least Lamtey is back...

Wrap up warm if you are going....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A step towards normality, been a long time coming.....

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Hamstring!? I thought he suffered a strop injury according to some on here? :shrug:

he's been training this week and is being monitored for availability tonight.
Doesn't sound like there was much of an injury to me.

Likely to be a reasonable amount of emotion, in the decision to come off, in my view.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
he's been training this week and is being monitored for availability tonight.
Doesn't sound like there was much of an injury to me.

Likely to be a reasonable amount of emotion, in the decision to come off, in my view.

Okay, if you say so Doc. :salute:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just an opinion, as is yours.

It's a bit of a derisive opinion though if you don't mind me saying – that one of our professional players chose to leave the field of play just because they were emotional. I've not really heard of that before. Sure, manager's hauling players off for being emotional, all the time, but a player choosing to go off, it's the kind of hearsay type thing that could be quite damaging to their reputation really. My opinion is just going off what the club have said, I don't really see why they would have motivation to lie.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Hamstring!? I thought he suffered a strop injury according to some on here? :shrug:

Ridiculous isn't it.

He misses chances in every game, but still has the mental strength to keep taking shots, thats why strikers get paid the most.

I don't recall him limping off after missing one against Leicester last season.

For some to think he would fake an injury and demand to come off after missing a penalty, it's frankly embarrassing.

Probably reveals more about how they would react in his position than the reality of him actually pulling a muscle.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's a bit of a derisive opinion though if you don't mind me saying – that one of our professional players chose to leave the field of play just because they were emotional. I've not really heard of that before. Sure, manager's hauling players off for being emotional, all the time, but a player choosing to go off, it's the kind of hearsay type thing that could be quite damaging to their reputation really. My opinion is just going off what the club have said, I don't really see why they would have motivation to lie.

It isn't meant to be derisory at all.
I have posted several times that I think Maupay probably needs an arm around the shoulder at the moment.

It's a matter of record that Neil has been going through some stuff lately.
We don't know the nature of the training ground bust up, but clearly emotions were running high at that point.

In our last game, he went down in centre-field, 5 minutes after missing a penalty.
I don't recall any sudden burst from him, or a challenge, that might have triggered a tweak.
But accept I could well be wrong on this.

The injury was deemed bad enough at the time to substitute him, but after a week's monitoring, "it's not as bad as originally thought"
Not as bad as who originally thought? Presumably Maupay.
Hence my guess that the injury may have been more of an emotional response from the player, than a physical injury.
More psychosomatic than just going off due to emotions ( I probably could have been clearer on this point)

Personally I don't think this reflects badly on Maupay, because I don't think he is a selfish dickhead.
I do however feel he is an emotional player and hasn't been quite the same since Welbeck joined.

Fortunately our manager has a degree in emotional intelligence and will be able to turn any issue, Maupay may or may not have, around.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It isn't meant to be derisory at all.
I have posted several times that I think Maupay probably needs an arm around the shoulder at the moment.

It's a matter of record that Neil has been going through some stuff lately.
We don't know the nature of the training ground bust up, but clearly emotions were running high at that point.

In our last game, he went down in centre-field, 5 minutes after missing a penalty.
I don't recall any sudden burst from him, or a challenge, that might have triggered a tweak.
But accept I could well be wrong on this.

The injury was deemed bad enough at the time to substitute him, but after a week's monitoring, "it's not as bad as originally thought"
Not as bad as who originally thought? Presumably Maupay.
Hence my guess that the injury may have been more of an emotional response from the player, than a physical injury.

Personally I don't think this reflects badly on Maupay, because I don't think he is a selfish dickhead.
I do however feel he is an emotional player and hasn't been quite the same since Welbeck joined.

Fortunately our manager has a degree in emotional intelligence and will be able to turn any issue, Maupay may or may not have, around.

I don't disagree he's been having a tough time, but these are highly trained athletes. I seem to remember Lallana went off on debut and then started next game, nothing was really said. I have no frame of reference really about what it is to have a body in peak physical condition :)mad:), but I've been in a squash match, had to stop because it felt like I'd pulled my hamstring, cancelled my games coming up, but 3 days later with daily stretches and the leg was fine. I actually was able to walk straight after fine, it was just painful to lunge etc. What you're saying is a guess really, linking 2 and 2 together, my opinion is that it's a guess that is damaging to the reputation of our player, and not sure once the club says it was a hamstring, you still need to feel it's not the truth.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
A big factor for tonight will be whether Ings and Redmond are fit. Ings has 5 goals in 8 games. The cold may discourage Ralph from risking Danny's hamstring.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I don't disagree he's been having a tough time, but these are highly trained athletes. I seem to remember Lallana went off on debut and then started next game, nothing was really said. I have no frame of reference really about what it is to have a body in peak physical condition :)mad:), but I've been in a squash match, had to stop because it felt like I'd pulled my hamstring, cancelled my games coming up, but 3 days later with daily stretches and the leg was fine. I actually was able to walk straight after fine, it was just painful to lunge etc. What you're saying is a guess really, linking 2 and 2 together, my opinion is that it's a guess that is damaging to the reputation of our player, and not sure once the club says it was a hamstring, you still need to feel it's not the truth.

Absolutely a guess.
Could easily be 2+2 = 5.

The idea that people considering it a possibility is "ridiculous" seems a little odd to me though.
Had he pulled up, sprinting back to defend, or had a history of injury and taking sensible precautionary steps (Lallana) fair enough.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here