Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Small Axe - BBC

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone else been watching this series of feature length dramas on BBC? Stand alone stories of black immigrants in London in the late 20th century. Really good. Covers the house parties, sound systems, police racism, Brixton Riots, The Mangrove in Notting Hill (one of my favourite episodes so far) and tonight's one was all about author Alex Wheatle and his imprisonment after the riots.

Really well done, all directed by Steve McQueen, great drama and packed full of black history that is an eye opener for me. And some great tunes, to boot.

Not one dud amongst them so far. All available on iplayer. A real tonic from the usual Sunday night claptrap on the beeb. :clap2: :drink:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p08vxt33/small-axe

Fair port

Apr 19, 2012
Anyone else been watching this series of feature length dramas on BBC? Stand alone stories of black immigrants in London in the late 20th century. Really good. Covers the house parties, sound systems, police racism, Brixton Riots, The Mangrove in Notting Hill (one of my favourite episodes so far) and tonight's one was all about author Alex Wheatle and his imprisonment after the riots.

Really well done, all directed by Steve McQueen, great drama and packed full of black history that is an eye opener for me. And some great tunes, to boot.

Not one dud amongst them so far. All available on iplayer. A real tonic from the usual Sunday night claptrap on the beeb. :clap2: :drink:

Totally agree great series so far and learning a lot along the way plus great music

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Totally agree great series so far and learning a lot along the way plus great music

Great isn't it. I was too young to remember that era, and being a white fella from Portland, not likely to have come across much of it so as you say, learning a lot.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Yes watched the last two, especially enjoyed last weeks with John Boyega as the policeman. Beautifully shot as well.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Awesome stuff and my 12 year old daughter waits for me to vet them, then watches. Only one I wouldn't let her see was the Lovers Rock episode. That was partly because it was claustrophobic and I think Lovers Rock is the most boring form of music this country has ever created. Love the endless plugging of the Black Jacobins - one of my favourite books. I was born in Lambeth and spent the first 4 years of my life in Brixton before moving to Shoreham. When the riots happened I was 12 and all the kids thought I must be well hard if I grew up in Brixton. I'm not though!

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p08vxt33/small-axe

Yes, I was championing Mangrove on a dedicated thread after I'd watched it three weeks ago but my enthusiasm didn't appear to be matched as it didn't elicit a single response...

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...liant-BBC-drama-on-iplayer&highlight=Mangrove

I've been watching them all but I haven't caught up with last night's yet. I found the appearance of Leee John of 80's pop combo Imagination in Red, White and Blue quite surreal.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
We did some blues parties in Somerleyton estate in
In Brixton in the 80s. A mixture of joy and occasional fear
Had to carry out bass speaker up to the top floor on one occasion. Some floors had lights some not. Turned a corner on an unlit floor and came face to face with big bloke swinging a very large knife on a chain. I think he was going to rob myself and our singer who had the other end of the speaker, but singer recognised him. It was Nitty Gritty, who was quite a big artist at the time, but carried on the gangster life style. He ended up being shot and killed in New York when he pulled a gun on Supercat. Interesting times.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Awesome stuff and my 12 year old daughter waits for me to vet them, then watches. Only one I wouldn't let her see was the Lovers Rock episode. That was partly because it was claustrophobic and I think Lovers Rock is the most boring form of music this country has ever created.

The Lovers Rock episode wasn’t just Lovers Rock music though, music from Blondie, Sister Sledge and Carl Douglas.
I really enjoyed the music in this episode, especially the heavy stuff when the party got lively.
This being a favourite.

https://youtu.be/K6XDIje4vJU

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
The Lovers Rock episode wasn’t just Lovers Rock music though, music from Blondie, Sister Sledge and Carl Douglas.
I really enjoyed the music in this episode, especially the heavy stuff when the party got lively.
This being a favourite.

https://youtu.be/K6XDIje4vJU
True. When I moved to Hackney 19 years ago 2 of the first people I made friends with turned out to be Mikey Dreads wife and Abba Shanthi's sister in law. In fact Abba Shanti lived in the bottom half of my maisonette. Unfortunately their brand of music, whilst lovely, is a bit modern for my preferred Jamaican melodies. Then my 9 year old bought her first LP in Worthing recently - Blondie!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
True. When I moved to Hackney 19 years ago 2 of the first people I made friends with turned out to be Mikey Dreads wife and Abba Shanthi's sister in law. In fact Abba Shanti lived in the bottom half of my maisonette. Unfortunately their brand of music, whilst lovely, is a bit modern for my preferred Jamaican melodies. Then my 9 year old bought her first LP in Worthing recently - Blondie!

A nine year old buying a Blondie album :) I’m impressed, first album I bought was Parallel Lines when I was a few years older at 14.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here