Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mourinho and Spurs ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Did he win his titles with Chelsea playing like this ?
I really can’t remember.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not sure, but he was certainly a more playful, fun and mischievous character back then. These days he seems grumpy and bitter.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
My recollection is that his Chelsea team ground the opposition into submission. Quite an uninteresting team to watch.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The 2004/5 team played 4-3-3 from memory and scored a lot of goals. Won it the next year too. Definitely changed up his style in more recent years.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not sure, but he was certainly a more playful, fun and mischievous character back then. These days he seems grumpy and bitter.

He ha been grumpy and bitter for the last five years or so, but he's mellowing again, and showing signs of that dark humour that once made him likeable.

And yes, Chelsea were like this when they won the league with him. He loves winning while barely touching the ball.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
They've already scored 5 at St Marys and 6 (SIX) at Old Trafford this season.
Negativity is being overplayed IMHO- Mourinho will always set a team up not to lose in the biggest games, but they are still a VERY exciting side to watch at times.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
They played efficient counter-attack football for the most part, just like every Mourinho team. Low defense, two ball winning midfielder (in the case of old Chelsea, Essien and Makele) together with a box-to-box midfielder (Lampard), a central striker (Drogba) capable of dictating attacks and two wingers (two of Duff, Cole and Robben) that were assigned to work hard in both directions for 90 minutes, unlike a lot of wingers at the time.

Same everywhere. The Inter team that won the triple including the CL was set up in the same way with Zanetti and Cambiasso as ball winning midfielders, Sneijder in the box-to-box role, Milito up front flanked by Eto'o and Pandev. In Porto he had Costinha and Maniche as DMC:s, Deco in the box-to-box role, Derlei or Benni McCarthy up front and Carlos Alberto/Alenichev/someone forgotten on the wings.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
his first and second league winning Chelsea side scored a boatload of goals. they also had Essien/Makelele in front of some very good defenders, so they just defended well.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Horrible to watch for the neutral in patches - but it’s his style now and he wins matches. I think the various pundits are right though, without Son and Kane it wouldn’t work nearly as well...

They’re like a much much much better CPFC2010 or Burnley... stick everyone behind the ball and try to spoil the game and hope to nick a goal...

No way we’re Chelsea like this when he was there.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Only 31% possession today - he’s got Spurs playing exactly as he wants them to. He doesn’t want his teams to have the ball as he believes that’s when they have the fear and they’re at their most vulnerable.

Not great to watch at all but with the players Spurs have, it’s proving very effective at the moment.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’m not knocking him as such but maybe with Chelsea he just had better stars s although Kane and Son are not bad.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
As he said recently after the Man City win,

They can take home the ball, we’ll take home the 3 points.
Jose is back.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I think we’ll find out how far Spurs have come after they go to Anfield next weekend.
I’ve nothing against Spurs but i can’t stand Kane or Mourinho so I don’t want them to win anything.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
2 words

Didier Drogba.

226 games 100 goals

Not too shabby.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
I think we’ll find out how far Spurs have come after they go to Anfield next weekend.
I’ve nothing against Spurs but i can’t stand Kane or Mourinho so I don’t want them to win anything.

You won’t , Spurs are away to us next Sunday .

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm not sure Ashley Cole went past the halfway line under Mourinho.
Chelsea winning at half time, would spend the second half ensuring they didn't concede and managed the game to ensure they won.
I'm sure the Spurs fans aren't complaining as they are top of the table and have just beaten Arsenal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here