Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League and EFL agree rescue package at last.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems reasonable as no strings loan, that PL dont get any benefit from.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I think I've got this right.
Each League 2 club will be given a grant of less than one weeks wages of the average EPL player. That is incredibly generous of them.
Forget the 'go for it at any cost' clubs in the Championship, those in L1 & L2, plus 100's in the lower leagues, are struggling through no fault of their own.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think I've got this right.
Each League 2 club will be given a grant of less than one weeks wages of the average EPL player. That is incredibly generous of them.
Forget the 'go for it at any cost' clubs in the Championship, those in L1 & L2, plus 100's in the lower leagues, are struggling through no fault of their own.

Nope - each League Two club will receive 250k, which is approximately equivalent to the average MONTHLY salary in the PL. Each League One club will receive 375k.

However, that is only 15million of the 50million available to clubs in League One and Two - the rest will be distributed based upon a) lost gate revenue share calculation b) need based.

Premier League agree £250m financial package to bail out the EFL

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I've never really got how they have to "agree" a package.

This is the PL giving out money. The EFL clubs don't really have any bargaining position here

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
I'd agree with the £200m loan for the championship, a deal was never going to be agreed to only give money to the less well of clubs. I also don't think it should be the duty of the premier league clubs to fund some in the championship who have owners far more well off than some in the premier league. This I think strikes a balance with the clubs in the divisions below getting a grant as those are the clubs who need it the most.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think they should have given/loaned nothing to Championship clubs. As others have said, many have rich owners and routinely flout the rules in a chase for glory. Better that they supported L1 clubs down to step 9.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why give some of the money-is-no-object owners in the Championship free cash ? ???

Indeed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56137353

Championship: EFL 'disappointed' as government impose restrictions on £100m loan

So the Government wanted to lend a shed load of OUR money to Championship clubs. They turned it down because they wanted to spend some or all of it on incentive payments to players !! Completely reasonable approach by the Government when dealing with ridiculous club chairmen. There is no way any of them are competent enough to receive anything other than loans with a lot of strings attached.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here