Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Burnley become a threat?

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Personally I very much doubt it. For a lot of the reasons listed above I would however be worried if Newcastle or a club of their stature got taken over as they have the fan base, stadium, history ect would be a less risky project with potentially a greater award and are also up for sale. The problem for new owners is that most clubs in the division have money to spend.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Personally I very much doubt it. For a lot of the reasons listed above I would however be worried if Newcastle or a club of their stature got taken over as they have the fan base, stadium, history ect would be a less risky project with potentially a greater award and are also up for sale. The problem for new owners is that most clubs in the division have money to spend.

Well, Burnley have history and their trophies are more recent than Newcastle’s. None of the things you mention actually matter anymore. Not compared to cash. If they did then Leeds would have half a chance.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Questionable brand,
Is that how football clubs are being gauged now?

unhappy manager,
Because limited resources have been made available to him.

heavy reliance on about 4 players
Because limited resources have been made available

and limited scope for increasing fan base.
The money on the PL comes from TV rights - unless you are one of the top six (brand wise) there is relatively little difference among clubs.

The main thing it has going for it is it's PL status which it's odds on to lose.
I wouldn't be so sure - Burnley and Dyche know how to scrap and they are set-up for a relegation dog-fight. If they were to win their game in hand they would be out of the relegation zone (and 2 points behind Brighton)

Maybe the Yanks don't think relegation is a thing?
You can be sure the Yanks know exactly what is going on

Worse case for us, the deal goes through, they somehow pay mega bucks to take good players there and they have an upturn in results .... I still think we'll finish above them.
Could happen - but in the last 3 seasons Burnley have finished comfortably above Brighton.

So, no, no sleepless nights from me
Sleep tight and don't let the bed bugs bite :yawn:

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I don't think the idea of Burnley becoming a real threat can be ruled out if they get mega rich owners.
It's all about the TV fans these days and the potential global TV fanbase that those type of investors are interested in.
In fact the less local fans the better,then they can do what they want with less protest.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Really dont get this view of Burnley being a sh*thole and players not willing to go there. As if they would live in Burnley town centre.

Money talks, so if owners make money available then players will go. Now, that doesnt make it the case that those players will be the right ones, or that they will gel. See Aston Villa last season struggling and Fulham the year before relegated.

I would live around Hebden Bridge, no problem. Lovely area

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Well, Burnley have history and their trophies are more recent than Newcastle’s. None of the things you mention actually matter anymore. Not compared to cash. If they did then Leeds would have half a chance.

Leeds do have half a chance though, they've only been back in the top flight a few months and have already secured global partnership deals, signing top European players and picking up good results. Newcastle are just a far bigger club than Burnley and dare I say an easier project for potential billionaire investors. Burnley are a great club with a lot of history but they're comfortably the least appealing team in the division to foreign investors due to their catchment area, relegation threat, current playing squad ect..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here