Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will Burnley become a threat?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
It looks like Burnley will be sold in time for the new owners to have an impact in the January transfer window. It seems that they will be sold for c. £200m (to the Yanks or the Egyptians) but not sure if that money will be used by the club or taken by the current shareholders.

Assuming they bought the club to see it survive in the Prem, you've got to assume they will make money available for signings. That's no guarantee of success, but it could help them strengthen.

Do we under-estimate Burnley in the second half of the season at our peril or are they in the mire, buyer or not?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's a pretty high risk club to take on.

Questionable brand, unhappy manager, heavy reliance on about 4 players and limited scope for increasing fan base. The main thing it has going for it is it's PL status which it's odds on to lose. Maybe the Yanks don't think relegation is a thing?

Worse case for us, the deal goes through, they somehow pay mega bucks to take good players there and they have an upturn in results .... I still think we'll finish above them.

So, no, no sleepless nights from me

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It would certainly increase their threat, as relations between Dyche and Board have been strained for a while now.

Not sure it will be enough.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If we are relying on being better than Burnley and two others, then yes, but I think we have higher aspirations these days. Feck everyone else let’s just carry on in the direction we are moving.

Chilled, is what I am :shrug:

I have more faith in what GP is doing than any manager since I binned Spurs and started following this club when I moved to Brighton in 1975. He has backing from TB and his backroom people. It may go pear shaped but we are 100% doing things the right way imo.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Really dont get this view of Burnley being a sh*thole and players not willing to go there. As if they would live in Burnley town centre.

Money talks, so if owners make money available then players will go. Now, that doesnt make it the case that those players will be the right ones, or that they will gel. See Aston Villa last season struggling and Fulham the year before relegated.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Everyone’s putting a lot of stock on Saints, Villa, Leeds and WHU being competitive so far. Give it a few months and the table could look very different. We are no mugs in this division in spite of stature.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
It looks like Burnley will be sold in time for the new owners to have an impact in the January transfer window. It seems that they will be sold for c. £200m (to the Yanks or the Egyptians) but not sure if that money will be used by the club or taken by the current shareholders.

Assuming they bought the club to see it survive in the Prem, you've got to assume they will make money available for signings. That's no guarantee of success, but it could help them strengthen.

Do we under-estimate Burnley in the second half of the season at our peril or are they in the mire, buyer or not?

Nah we don’t need to worry this season we’ll be well clear of the muck come may. Arsenal on the other hand won’t want to many teams able to pick up significant points :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Why choose to buy into Burnley when there's a glamourous mega club in the southern part of London (with a genuine world class faller over, I mean player with a sprightly forward thinking manager and awesome atmosphere making fans) that's been up for sale for over a year? Depressing stuff. Ha ha.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

More likely to be a Blackburn/Venkeys situation than anything else IMO

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Pope, Tarkowski, Mee, McNeil, Wood is already a decent spine of a team, which is why I have them finishing ahead of Fulham, WBA and Shef Utd. I would be more concerned if one of those three were to receive a huge cash injection, TBH.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Really dont get this view of Burnley being a sh*thole and players not willing to go there. As if they would live in Burnley town centre.

Money talks, so if owners make money available then players will go. Now, that doesnt make it the case that those players will be the right ones, or that they will gel. See Aston Villa last season struggling and Fulham the year before relegated.

Which is 100% true - At one point in time Middlesbrough and Portsmouth were the two Highest Payer of players Salaries - Players were queuing up to go there - They just went for some of the the wrong players

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Even when Citeh got their zillions it took time.

January buys tend to be pants GENERALLY, and so even if there was cash it would take a few seasons to bed in.

4/5 to stay up, fill yer boots.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Man City came very close to relegation after being bought mid-season by the sports-washers, there's only so much new owners can do in a January transfer window, plus the likelihood is they'll be reluctant to change the management structure overnight

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

there are some stunning areas within easy reach of Burnley and if you are into clubbing there is always the Morecambe Bowl (if it is still open)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I think many of them live in Cheshire near the Liverpool / Man U lot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here