Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Family Standers – quick query

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
We've had three season tickets in the family stand since the Amex opened. Originally they were for me and two sons.

A few years ago, eldest son lost interest and his ticket was transferred to my wife's name. Club was happy to oblige. Obviously we paid a bit more.

In recent years, middle son has been less available for games due to part-time job and college work so his younger sister has been borrowing his ticket. Yes, I know that's not really allowed, but believe me she spends far more on food and merch than her brother ever did. So I don't feel like anyone's been cheated.

Now we've asked if we can formally transfer the ticket into her name. The answer is no: she'll have to get on a waiting list. The policy has changed.

My response was, this isn't a case of us trying to help somebody queue-jump. It's a straightforward transfer between siblings, aged 17 and 15, in the family stand. But the club won't budge.

That leaves us with two tickets for the family stand that we can't use as adults without kids, a season ticket that's not being used by anybody, and three family members who can no longer go to games.

I know this is all complicated anyway by Covid restrictions, but I'm rather upset by the lack of flexibilty being shown by the club. Their view is that unlimited transfers between family members effectively shuts out newcomers. But we're not talking about a permanent family monopoly on our three seats. All we want is to keep the family going to games together, in our familiar seats, when restrictions are lifted. And when our daughter is 18 we'll be moving elsewhere anyway.

I'm not looking for sympathy or starting a campaign. But maybe others have had similar experiences and agree that the club should consider allowing season tickets in the family stand that can be shared between siblings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Unfortunately the club are standing fast in this now and I disagree with it 100%. If it is a transfer within a family, or even household I believe it should be allowed. I know of a dad and 2 sons that shared 2 tickets. The dad reached 65 (I think?) and his ticket automatically went to a Senior which now means only the dad could go to games with 1 son, and never the 2 sons as they had done previously.

I'd stick your child on the waiting list now and see what happens, it has been suggested that the waiting list has pretty much evaporated

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately the club are standing fast in this now and I disagree with it 100%. If it is a transfer within a family, or even household I believe it should be allowed. I know of a dad and 2 sons that shared 2 tickets. The dad reached 65 (I think?) and his ticket automatically went to a Senior which now means only the dad could go to games with 1 son, and never the 2 sons as they had done previously.

I'd stick your child on the waiting list now and see what happens, it has been suggested that the waiting list has pretty much evaporated

The dad's ticket could be upgraded (6 times a season ?) to a full adult ticket so the two sons could go together couldn't it ???? I've done the same with my son's ticket when he was U18 when he couldn't go and I've taken a mate instead.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The dad's ticket could be upgraded (6 times a season ?) to a full adult ticket so the two sons could go together couldn't it ???? I've done the same with my son's ticket when he was U18 when he couldn't go and I've taken a mate instead.

Yes it could - but still not ideal scenario obviously.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Not quite....

There were many thousands of fans (7000?) on the waiting list at the beginning of the year.

In March/April/May most declined the chance buy a season ticket for this season, given the Covid-19 outbreak.

I think the club got to the end of the list (or close).

BUT the 7000 or so are still on the list - and therefore ahead of any newcomers - until they decline a second time next spring.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm not looking for sympathy or starting a campaign. But maybe others have had similar experiences and agree that the club should consider allowing season tickets in the family stand that can be shared between siblings.

You have my sympathy, but I think English laws may actually prohibit this.

Football tickets must have an assigned owner, which can only be changed with the club's knowledge and permission.

(And I don't think they want to know on a Saturday morning which of your kids is/isn't going!).

It's why even giving away a ticket is still 'touting', and also why the club-run ticket exchange exists (to enable legal transfer between parties).

Also, if the club allowed child ticket sharing, we all know it would be a slippery slope (what age would it stop? 16? 18?) and set a precedent for those kids growing up.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I agree the club should be more flexible with regard to current season ticket holders.
I believe the issue of wanting to transfer names on tickets is separate to the waiting list queue.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I agree that the club should allow situations like this, limited to others in your household. Most clubs turn a blind eye to it in reality but where you have the age restriction situation it is a a pain.

I'd like to see the club open this in this restricted to household way. I suspect a lot on the waiting list may actually be in this position so why not cut to the chase and ease the pain a little.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've had three season tickets in the family stand since the Amex opened. Originally they were for me and two sons.

A few years ago, eldest son lost interest and his ticket was transferred to my wife's name. Club was happy to oblige. Obviously we paid a bit more.

In recent years, middle son has been less available for games due to part-time job and college work so his younger sister has been borrowing his ticket. Yes, I know that's not really allowed, but believe me she spends far more on food and merch than her brother ever did. So I don't feel like anyone's been cheated.

Now we've asked if we can formally transfer the ticket into her name. The answer is no: she'll have to get on a waiting list. The policy has changed.

My response was, this isn't a case of us trying to help somebody queue-jump. It's a straightforward transfer between siblings, aged 17 and 15, in the family stand. But the club won't budge.

That leaves us with two tickets for the family stand that we can't use as adults without kids, a season ticket that's not being used by anybody, and three family members who can no longer go to games.

I know this is all complicated anyway by Covid restrictions, but I'm rather upset by the lack of flexibilty being shown by the club. Their view is that unlimited transfers between family members effectively shuts out newcomers. But we're not talking about a permanent family monopoly on our three seats. All we want is to keep the family going to games together, in our familiar seats, when restrictions are lifted. And when our daughter is 18 we'll be moving elsewhere anyway.

Stick her on the waiting list, may even get a chance for a ticket in March the way things are going. When does your current child's ticket expire as an U18 - end of this season?

They've had this rule in place since they sold the half season tickets from Xmas of the promotion season and basically sold out all the seats they wanted to sell as STs and the waiting list was formed. I tried a similar thing but was refused.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Stick her on the waiting list, may even get a chance for a ticket in March the way things are going. When does your current child's ticket expire as an U18 - end of this season?

They've had this rule in place since they sold the half season tickets from Xmas of the promotion season and basically sold out all the seats they wanted to sell as STs and the waiting list was formed. I tried a similar thing but was refused.

Yes, she's on the waiting list now so we'll see how much progress we make ... and hope she doesn't start supporting Spurs while we wait :dunce:

And yes, current ticket expires at the end of the season. It's annoying because the club seems to think the order of play should be this:

1. Move two adult season tickets somewhere else in the ground and cancel the child ticket.
2. Put daughter on waiting list and wait indefinitely.
3. When she reaches the top of the queue they will then try to relocate us and find three seats somewhere else. (Back in the family stand? Who knows)

Just seems like a lot of bureacracy and aggravation, and ultimately more expense for us, and the sense that the club really doesn't mind alienating loyal fans as long as it sticks to a fairly arbitary protocol.

I'm feeling that the way forward may just be to cancel the season tickets and try to attend games as and when. As someone who hasn't missed a home game for years, and tries to get to an increasing number of aways, that feels like a weird thing to be saying. Definitely feeling expendable right now.

(Sorry for coming across as a victim. I realise people have bigger problems.)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, she's on the waiting list now so we'll see how much progress we make ... and hope she doesn't start supporting Spurs while we wait :dunce:

And yes, current ticket expires at the end of the season. It's annoying because the club seems to think the order of play should be this:

1. Move two adult season tickets somewhere else in the ground and cancel the child ticket.
2. Put daughter on waiting list and wait indefinitely.
3. When she reaches the top of the queue they will then try to relocate us and find three seats somewhere else. (Back in the family stand? Who knows)

Just seems like a lot of bureacracy and aggravation, and ultimately more expense for us, and the sense that the club really doesn't mind alienating loyal fans as long as it sticks to a fairly arbitary protocol.

I'm feeling that the way forward may just be to cancel the season tickets and try to attend games as and when. As someone who hasn't missed a home game for years, and tries to get to an increasing number of aways, that feels like a weird thing to be saying. Definitely feeling expendable right now.

(Sorry for coming across as a victim. I realise people have bigger problems.)

This season is a bit of a right off anyway.

I did experience this when we first got promoted, but didn't impact me in the end. I sort of got to understand the reasoning with regard to having fans on a waiting list, who might wait 2 years for a ticket, whereas someone could just transfer theirs to a brother if they felt like it. It's hard to justify charging a membership fee to be on a waiting list if tickets aren't fairly rotated out of family groups (which is absolutely fine if you don't have a waiting list).

Can I just ask, do you go with anyone else, are you in a friends and family group with anyone you sit with? I only ask as the club did tell me that if I gave up my kid's ticket and just had a single adult ticket in the family stand, as long as I could demonstrate that there was no more than 3 adults per child in our group I would be fine to still attend with my group.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
This season is a bit of a right off anyway.

I did experience this when we first got promoted, but didn't impact me in the end. I sort of got to understand the reasoning with regard to having fans on a waiting list, who might wait 2 years for a ticket, whereas someone could just transfer theirs to a brother if they felt like it. It's hard to justify charging a membership fee to be on a waiting list if tickets aren't fairly rotated out of family groups (which is absolutely fine if you don't have a waiting list).

Can I just ask, do you go with anyone else, are you in a friends and family group with anyone you sit with? I only ask as the club did tell me that if I gave up my kid's ticket and just had a single adult ticket in the family stand, as long as I could demonstrate that there was no more than 3 adults per child in our group I would be fine to still attend with my group.

No, just the three of us. We've got to know people around us of course but we're not part of any friends or family arrangement.

Feels sad, because going to the Amex has always been a family thing for us. It wouldn't feel fair going to games if we can't sit with one of the kids, which we were hoping to do for two more seasons at least.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No, just the three of us. We've got to know people around us of course but we're not part of any friends or family arrangement.

Feels sad, because going to the Amex has always been a family thing for us. It wouldn't feel fair going to games if we can't sit with one of the kids, which we were hoping to do for two more seasons at least.

Gutted for you, if you'd known you could have had your daughter on the waiting list a season ago or 2, just as back up for when your son hit 18. That ship has sailed though sadly, and not something you'd necessarily think of really.

I think you'll be fine with her on the waiting list. I think March is going to see a big shift in numbers, moves and giving up tickets. Fingers crossed.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Just tell the ticket office that your youngest son now self identifies as a girl and wants to be know as (your daughters name) job done

In fact if they even suggest that they will impose any charge tell them you will report them to equal opportunities, stone wall, the Argus this is typical of the narrow minded view on gender reassignment I wish you and your son the best on what will be a long journey

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Just tell the ticket office that your youngest son now self identifies as a girl and wants to be know as (your daughters name) job done

In fact if they even suggest that they will impose any charge tell them you will report them to equal opportunities, stone wall, the Argus this is typical of the narrow minded view on gender reassignment I wish you and your son the best on what will be a long journey

Is he also going to self-identify as 2 years younger, to keep it going until she's 18...?

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I think this is highlighting to the club by requiring photo ID now and prompting these queries, how many people 'use' other peoples tickets.

Don't be surprised if at some point in the future we get photos on season tickets.

Of course it will be disguised as stopping 'undesirables' getting in and poor normal fans will just have to comply as well.

Makes me wonder if they bought photo tickets in from 21/22 I wonder how many current season tickets would have to be surrendered?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think this is highlighting to the club by requiring photo ID now and prompting these queries, how many people 'use' other peoples tickets.

Don't be surprised if at some point in the future we get photos on season tickets.

Of course it will be disguised as stopping 'undesirables' getting in and poor normal fans will just have to comply as well.

Makes me wonder if they bought photo tickets in from 21/22 I wonder how many current season tickets would have to be surrendered?

They'd also need the staff to check the photo against the person standing in front of them on an individual basis, and fans would have to be really patient to stand in a queue waiting their turn.

The logistics would be horrible.

Retinal scans are far easier to implement and there'd be no room for debate about the identity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here