Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Easyjet to charge for hand luggage now.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
£24 each way for a hand luggage piece? My word they must be desperate for how many people this is going to alienate and annoy, a hell of a lot of people I know who travel regularly use easy Jet because of their generous hand luggage policy compared to other budget airlines.

Might as well pay for hold luggage, when we flew in the summer £23kg bag was £25 each way, probably put the prices of that up as well - I can see holidays and flying becoming very expensive in the next few years with these companies trying to claw back losses.*

*Whilst at the same time paying shareholders 600m bonuses :rolleyes:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
£24 each way for a hand luggage piece? My word they must be desperate for how many people this is going to alienate and annoy, a hell of a lot of people I know who travel regularly use easy Jet because of their generous hand luggage policy compared to other budget airlines.

Might as well pay for hold luggage, when we flew in the summer £23kg bag was £25 each way, probably put the prices of that up as well - I can see holidays and flying becoming very expensive in the next few years with these companies trying to claw back losses.*

The dividend was calculated on the end of 2019 quarter, so as a shareholder I'd expect dividends to be paid on past performance, not future. Thats the way it works I'm afraid.

But flying has become far to cheap and a race to the bottom, coupled with the absolute piss taking that goes on in the cabin now I am not surprised. Try travelling Wizzair. EVERY cabin bag is measured and even weighed, if it doesn't fit or is to heavy you pay £50 to check it in or you are off loaded.

I flew quite a bit in 2019 for work and the amount of times flights had completely full lockers and still people boarding was ridiculous and always resulted in a delay

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
I've always though "If you wheel your luggage down the aisle, then it ain't hand-luggage."

Some people are either thick, or they're taking the ****.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The dividend was calculated on the end of 2019 quarter, so as a shareholder I'd expect dividends to be paid on past performance, not future. Thats the way it works I'm afraid.

But flying has become far to cheap and a race to the bottom, coupled with the absolute piss taking that goes on in the cabin now I am not surprised. Try travelling Wizzair. EVERY cabin bag is measured and even weighed, if it doesn't fit or is to heavy you pay £50 to check it in or you are off loaded.

I flew quite a bit in 2019 for work and the amount of times flights had completely full lockers and still people boarding was ridiculous and always resulted in a delay

Maybe if the airlines didn't try and cram people in like sardines, there would actually be enough room for everyone to have space for a reasonably sized piece of hand luggage.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9616891 said:
Maybe if the airlines didn't try and cram people in like sardines, there would actually be enough room for everyone to have space for a reasonably sized piece of hand luggage.

Sounds like you have a good idea for a new airline. Hope the economics stack up for you

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009

Its become too cheap but companies are still making hundreds of millions a year, I’ve been on EJ around 10 or so times in the last couple of years and I’ve always found them very organised about it, on a recent return trip from Greece they loaded quite a few of the hand luggage bags into the hold at the gate when people checked in, free of charge, because there were too many for the over head lockers and it didn’t cause a delay.

I’m not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s an obvious cash grab, £24 for a hand luggage piece is quite excessive really and adds a hefty extra cost to say a couple going on a weekend break, the kind of extra fee that might put people off using them. I’m expecting a lot of nonsense additional fees to come into play after COVID

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9616898 said:
Nice patronising tone there :thumbsup:

To be fair I don't think most airlines are that bad are they? Some of the new BA planes where they made Airbus add in an extra row at the expense aside. But EasyJet I don't think are particularly cramped. So worst case an extra 6 people with bags I don't think is pushing things to break point on very full flights

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
I've always though "If you wheel your luggage down the aisle, then it ain't hand-luggage."

Some people are either thick, or they're taking the ****.
This comment is nonsense. Until now easyjet have been happy to accept wheelie bags so customers have acted accordingly. No stupidity involved. Of course its up to the company if it wants to change the rules now but its a calculated risk as to whether demand for airtravel will support the change or just put more people off flying altogether.

Our family have decided to stop flying anyway as a small contribution to stopping climate change.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
paying for the convenience of quick exit at destination.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
You are still allowed hand luggage free, its just the carry on suitcases and bigger bags you have to pay for. Weekend breaks away will be more expensive, but don't plan on doing them for a while anyway.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personally it will be a while before I want to be cooped up in close confines with the same people breathing the constantly recycled air

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9616891 said:

People are crammed in because of the race to the bottom alluded to.

Most people want to fly from A to B as cheaply as they possibly can, so most airlines have given us that.

And in a world where there is precious little brand loyalty, and price comparison engines are a pivotal part of the purchasing decision for many, airlines need to have the lowest possible headline price to get potential customers to come their way.

In short, the public have got what the public want. Some don't like it quite so much any more.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove
Its slightly amusing really to see airlines which until quite recently were encouraging passengers to use hand luggage rather than hold luggage now effectively reversing themselves and giving the same reason as they originally gave for the old policy. I have no beef with easyjet I used to use them 8/10 times a year to and from France. I just think it is another example of "cheap" flights being not so cheap after all. As I said earlier in any case anything that discourages air travel would be a good thing.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
To be fair I don't think most airlines are that bad are they? Some of the new BA planes where they made Airbus add in an extra row at the expense aside. But EasyJet I don't think are particularly cramped. So worst case an extra 6 people with bags I don't think is pushing things to break point on very full flights

Some of BA's A319/20 had one of the rear bogs removed to squeeze in another two seats. If you are near the rear galley, the two seats with no window are the giveaway.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
post-covid flying abroad won't be as damn cheap as it has been? quelle surprise!! flying will become a luxury purchase again. i feel i was just lucky i lived through a time of £30 return flights to Europe

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

i suppose you'll take it or leave it .......quantas are suggesting you will not be able to board a flight without a covid vax certificate......such is life ...:cute:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here