[News] Lab grown meat

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I think this will have to take off at some point; meat production and transportation as it is today simply isn’t environmentally sustainable, whilst there would have to be ethical considerations if safe, death free alternatives exist.

I honestly believe that future generations will look back on us and our ancestors as absolute barbarians for what we do to animals in our pursuit for food.

And I say all this as a raging carnivore.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just like with the "insects as food" thing I'm sure its great in a lot of ways and yadda yadda, but its a no from me. I rarely eat meat and I never eat "weird" stuff, I'm a bit wussy when it comes to that.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
More than anything with this, the chance to reforest farmland is surely the most significant thing. Possibly a huge boost for the fight against climate change and nature generally

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
seems like a good idea, though is doubt it replace the nicer meats (lamb, beef) which need more than textured protein.

whats fascinating is view of some vegans that its verboten, because the original cells still come from animals.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
It's the future. I'm an meat eater but always feel guilty knowing the practices that go on to get cheap meat on to our plates (I've almost entirely cut meat out in the home with the occasional treat when eating out).

Take out the ethical and environment issues and it's a winner. Hard to argue with the positivity of this one without being incredibly hypocritical.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
seems like a good idea, though is doubt it replace the nicer meats (lamb, beef) which need more than textured protein.

whats fascinating is view of some vegans that its verboten, because the original cells still come from animals.

I wouldn't want to eat it because of that but see it as a landmark moment for world food production.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The only meat I eat comes from our local farm shop (Macknade) that sells only free range stuff, and any curing is done without nitrites. It is expensive. The cultured meat will be far more expensive and won't taste of much. Meat is mostly muscle and unless muscle is exercised the cells stay small. The idea of culturing muscle in a vat, well it will need to be genetically modified so it grows quickly. It won't taste like meat, but you can buy plenty of 'fake' meat made of plants that is 'OK'. It will be on a par with that, something wet and homogenous that can be dried, shaped and sculpted (probably into that well known cut, the 'nugget') but it won't ever 'replace' meat any more than fruit juice will replace wine. I'd certainly give it a go, though, as I'll eat anything that's a bit peculiar.

One other thought - the design of the massive vats used for production. Unsightly? You decide.

massive vats.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think i need to know more before passing any worthwhile comment

Come now. You've been on NSC long enough to know that appraising the facts with consideration is the last thing you should do before offering an opinion :wink:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
so we now have cows, pigs, and sheep to support as well as the human flotsam of war ........oh yay bring it the **** on....:grimace ffs tumbleweed:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Come now. You've been on NSC long enough to know that appraising the facts with consideration is the last thing you should do before offering an opinion :wink:

Surely much better to choose an opinion, by little more than pin sticking, then save face at all costs by defending it with ever more vitriol in the face of reasoned logic even if deep down you've stopped believing it yourself.

That said, I'm guessing if most people don't have an opinion they don't post, rather than posting to say they don't know. Each to their own though

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been a (rather lackadaisical) veggie for 30 years. Originally I gave up meat because I didn't want to kill animals to eat, even if by proxy.
For the last few years I've got a bit bored with veggie food and found myself fancying a pork pie or bit of steak, the only thing stoping me is a nagging voice in my head that I'd be betraying the last 30 years.
If no animals have died to make this, I'd give it a go.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
so we now have cows, pigs, and sheep to support as well as the human flotsam of war ........oh yay bring it the **** on....:grimace ffs tumbleweed:

The numbers would have to be eased down and there would have to be a conversation on how this could be done humanely. At least the scale of suffering can be reduced in generations to come. (full disclosure. I'm a hypocritical massive meat eater who strongly supports the idea of veganism)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
The numbers would have to be eased down and there would have to be a conversation on how this could be done humanely. At least the scale of suffering can be reduced in generations to come. (full disclosure. I'm a hypocritical massive meat eater who strongly supports the idea of veganism)

hello mate , i'm a firm believer that the evolutional wheel has put cows, pigs , chickens , sheep , oranges , apples , broccoli , sprouts , spring onions , beetroot , pumpkins , spuds , wheat , barley , sorgum , chickpeas, prawns , scollops, fish , lobsters ....etc etc etc

on the planet for some supreme being to use to their advantage , lets face it , none of the above can use a computer , a phone , drive a car , drive a boat , fly a plane , buy bitcoins or dabble in the stock market.

the only conclusion here is that humans are the apex being ...........the next step in that conclusion is that there are far too many of us.

harsh but true....:moo:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here