Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Margaret Thatcher Statue

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not everyone agreed with her , although lots of people did, but she didn’t kill anyone - she should be respected as our first female PM . It’s a disgrace that as a country we allow mob rule to dictate who we should and shouldn’t honour .

Try telling that to the families of the 323 killed on the ARA General Belgrano that was heading back to port.

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
Not everyone agreed with her , although lots of people did, but she didn’t kill anyone - she should be respected as our first female PM . It’s a disgrace that as a country we allow mob rule to dictate who we should and shouldn’t honour .

Actually, her actions killed my Brighton and Hove Albion loving mother. Due to NHS cuts at the time by her and her cronies my mother had to wait for urgent surgery for two years. Two years of suffering that is etched into my very soul. I will never forget or forgive. Many more suffered and so I understand the insult in celebrating that individual in any way.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I quite enjoyed the Thatcher Death Party at one of the squares back home in Lund and actually met one of my girlfriends there.

That said she was very influential in destroying what had previously been a well-functioning social democratic country for 70 years...

She probably didn't live in the uk in the seventies then

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I'd always hoped that the Royal Hospital in Chelsea would put up a memorial dancefloor once a year over where her ashes are scattered. An event based on peace, love, happiness and culture would be an apt celebration of the passing of someone who seemed to care for none of these things and whose vision was of a nation where only money mattered.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Thatcher the witch narrative getting a good head of steam. Always nice to have a villain to blame, makes life a bit easier for some

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Tories praying it gets attacked, keep the culture war going...

that's what i thought , in an era where statues of anyone with erroneous pasts are being got rid of they put one of this thing up .......set Britain on the road to ruin in my opinion , workers rights trashed , major industry crippled .............definitely gonna get some attention.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
There's already a statue of Newton in Grantham - it's outside the town hall

A mate of mine is from Grantham and says the whole town is pretty dull. Sounds like some egg-throwing would liven things up

This.

My family is from Grantham (on my mum's side). We used to spend much of the summer holidays up there in a little village just outside town. Since it backed on to a mahoosive field and there was a spinney just up the road where you could play "war" and there was a cousin who shot game and a kid over the road with a motorbike he rode in his back garden it was reasonably entertaining for about a week. But the only things to do in Grantham itself were:

1) Swimming at the municipal baths
2) Drinking bright fizzy pop in a canteen after swimming
3) Drive past Alf Roberts' old shop and say "that's where Thatcher lived".

And, er, that was it until I got to about 14 years old.

By then they had finally built a one screen cinema (before that you had to go to Sleaford) that looked like a scout hut. It used to show Mickey's Christmas Carol at Easter. They had also built a shopping centre that had a mechanical Newton complete with an apple that dropped on the hour. Locals used to gather round it and exclaim "apple's fell m'duck" when it happened. On that last visit I ripped my Converse All Star, bought in Brighton from one of many shops vending said item. Not only could I not find replacements in Grantham, I couldn't find an actual trainer shop.

Nice haselet though.

A statue of the old bag will probably improve the place.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I hate Thatcher as the person who destroyed the very fabric of society as I knew it growing up and as the architect of the selfish less tolerant world in which we live. I also as the descendant of Irish Catholics hate Oliver Cromwell for the things that he did. However, do I have an objection to either having statues? No, its my opinion, others are available and to attempt to airbrush history by removing all reference to previous historical characters is both stupid and demeaning of society as it is today. Every historical character is a product of their own era and you would hope that another Thatcher emerging now would not get elected although given who has she probably would.

'Progress' does not follow a linear path, not everything she did was wrong and if the people of Grantham elect a council who want to waste ratepayers money on a statue that is for the voters of Grantham to take up at the next opportunity...

Destroying the images of those you disagree with is only a small step from destroying those you disagree with. The Nazi's didn't jump straight to murdering Jews they burnt books and destroyed businesses etc first. Worrying times...

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Thatcher was a deliberately divisive figure who revelled in, and actively sought, conflict.

Putting up a statue of her and then having people throw eggs at it seems about right to me as a reflection on her life.

BigBod

Dec 12, 2014
the-statue-of-former.jpg

This one never gets vandalised in Port Stanley, Falkland Islands.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All statues should have to go through an NSC '' Veto Poll Process '' before they are erected in the future

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here