Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Margaret Thatcher Statue

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I’m well aware she was elected three times. It doesn’t mean she was universally popular!!

Extensive knowledge of unions from what point of view. As a lifelong and (I like to think, reasonable) trade union member, I would agree that the Trade Unions were too strong in the 1970s. IN MY VIEW, she took it too far the other way, in a nasty vindictive way. Anyone with any sense, though, could see that the Government and the Trade Unions at that point were never going to be able to sit down and talk about it. I did an MBA many years ago where in one of the modules a short case study was about the miners strike and comparing Arthur Scargill and the then chair of the Coal Board, Ian MacGregor, the point being they were never going to agree given their backgrounds.

Puins been elected several times so by that logic he'a stand up guy

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I’m well aware she was elected three times. It doesn’t mean she was universally popular!!

Extensive knowledge of unions from what point of view. As a lifelong and (I like to think, reasonable) trade union member, I would agree that the Trade Unions were too strong in the 1970s. IN MY VIEW, she took it too far the other way, in a nasty vindictive way. Anyone with any sense, though, could see that the Government and the Trade Unions at that point were never going to be able to sit down and talk about it. I did an MBA many years ago where in one of the modules a short case study was about the miners strike and comparing Arthur Scargill and the then chair of the Coal Board, Ian MacGregor, the point being they were never going to agree given their backgrounds.

Fair enough DS. Reading some of the comments on here you’d wonder how she won her third PM election with more votes that she got in the first, and with a much bigger margin to Labour than the first. On trade unions, we may not be so far apart from our different angles, for me they are a necessary part for the effective functioning of a good economy, but not the 1970’s version which permeated into subsequent decades for many companies

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Fair enough DS. Reading some of the comments on here you’d wonder how she won her third PM election with more votes that she got in the first, and with a much bigger margin to Labour than the first. On trade unions, we may not be so far apart from our different angles, for me they are a necessary part for the effective functioning of a good economy, but not the 1970’s version which permeated into subsequent decades for many companies

I’ve worked for the Churches for 25 years - retired end of last year. In that time I had involvements with Trade Unions at various levels including in a small way at national level. People don’t realise things like Trade Unions working with employers to ensure good working practices and working relationships. In my experience, officers ( I.e employees) are generally very sensible and constructive, realising a smooth running workplace is in the employees’ interests. It is reps and activists who cause any trouble.

All that, though, is gross over-simplification. But I guess the unions are very different now to what they were in the days of Scargill and Red Robbo.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here