Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best PL goalkeeper ever?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Had a long chat with a friend last night about goalkeepers. He says Peter Schmeichel. Personally I went with Nigel Martyn, as he was brilliant beyond belief in every single Everton game I watched back then as well as in plenty of games I've watched from the 90s.

Who would be your choice?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Petr Cech

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Had a long chat with a friend last night about goalkeepers. He says Peter Schmeichel. Personally I went with Nigel Martyn, as he was brilliant beyond belief in every single Everton game I watched back then as well as in plenty of games I've watched from the 90s.

Martyn's relative lack of international recognition should be a clue that he might not be as good as he looked in those games.

Peter Schmeichel for me

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Martyn's relative lack of international recognition should be a clue that he might not be as good as he looked in those games.

Peter Schmeichel for me

Well I dont care that much about international recognition. Britney Spears sold more albums than The Doors but I wouldnt consider her the better musician.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Peter Schmeichel
Petr Cech
David Seaman
Edwin Van Der Sar
Kasper Schmeichel

For me, that's the top 5. For about 5 years, Joe Hart was getting in ahead of Kasper but for longetivity of brilliance and how hard he had to work to get there - Kasper gets the nod from me. He's brilliant with his feet, makes as many penalty saves as anyone else and commands his box like few others. A leader from the back and a key player in their unbelievable title winning season. I think he might very well be the most underrated goalkeeper in world football.

David De Gea statistically is probably better than Kasper, but he's been in a better team the majority of his PL career and he wasn't brilliant in his first season and has been in steady decline for the last year or two. A brilliant goalkeeper in his prime, same with Jens Lehmann and Shay Given and Tim Howard and Hugo Lloris. I'm fairly sure the references to Nigel Martyn are tongue in cheek, but he certainly had a couple of very good seasons before being replaced by the catastrophic Richard Wright. Paul Robinson at Leeds and Tottenham was very good, it's a shame he had such a sharp decline. Tim Flowers deserves a mention too, lastly. He was a very safe pair of hands, albeit slightly less reliable when Matt Le Tissier or Stan Collymore were rolling one at him.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

are you only talking England?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Petr Cech. World class for an age.

Possibly even better, prior to Stephen Hunt’s sly boot.

This. He went for several years as an absolute impassable moving object. And I really disliked Chelsea at the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here