[Football] Post Brexit plan for signing overseas players

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
TLDR

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Probably mostly going to impact the signing of foreign youth players. Which has gone too far anyway so I see no harm in that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
CONFIRMED: After Brexit, Premier League clubs will be unable to sign foreign players under the age of 18, and will also be limited to signing no more than 3 foreign players aged 18-21 every transfer window.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Undoubtedly bad news for us. Our strategy is based on a wide scouting network.

This will limit us

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good news for England - if people still care about that - but bad news for the Premier League surely?

That said, I'm sure there'll be loopholes. There usually is.

Not surely. More resources into developing talent, less resources into scouting foreign talent.

Most leagues rarely sign foreign U18 players and a lot of leagues/countries produce more quality footballers per capita than England despite having much less resources.

This is a great opportunity. No longer able to ignore the local not so perfect kiddo because there is some foreign kiddo further into his development: instead, needs to put more effort into turning the non-perfect kiddo into something good.

Great for England, potentially great for the PL and great for every single football playing kid in your country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
looking passed the reason for the change, this is sensible isnt it? develop local youth players, rather than foreign teenagers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
CONFIRMED: After Brexit, Premier League clubs will be unable to sign foreign players under the age of 18, and will also be limited to signing no more than 3 foreign players aged 18-21 every transfer window.
Luckily Union SG can still sing them and we can park them there for a bit.

Why does anyone really wonder why Man City, Leicester and albion ( and maybe others ) 'have' Belgian clubs ?

Last edited:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Luckily Union SG can still sing them and we can park them there for a bit.

Why does anyone really wonder why Man City, Leicester and albion ( and maybe others ) 'have' Belgian clubs ?

One of the dirtiest football nations in Europe and I say that living in Sweden, not particularly far behind.

Financial fraud, human trafficking, match fixing, agents that literally works for mafias.

Like Kompany said when one of many mass arrests happened the other year:

“If you talk about the soccer sector, you cannot be surprised,” said the defender, who plays for Manchester City in England’s Premier League, during an interview on Belgian TV. “The link with human trafficking, the drug trade and prostitution, where a lot of money goes around, is very close.”

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Will this affect us bringing in the Polish lads, or will they be ok as they have technically already signed for us?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Will this affect us bringing in the Polish lads, or will they be ok as they have technically already signed for us?

This essentially relates to getting a work permit (technically, I think a club could "sign" whoever they want, they just wouldn't be able to get work permits for those who don't meet the defined criteria).

As both Moder and Karbownik are regulars for their club sides, and are now full internationals, I would expect them to meet the new criteria.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'd love to read the official club view of this and how or if it affects our strategy going forward in 2021. It's been given a good spin, but it doesn't feel so good to me for standards or development opportunities.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With the U21s, do they have to satisfy the criteria (points system) of international matches, club status, etc, etc., or does that only apply to players over 21?

All in all though, seems pretty straight forward. Who'd have thought it?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Good news for England - if people still care about that - but bad news for the Premier League surely?

That said, I'm sure there'll be loopholes. There usually is.

Not sure that correlates! We have a very good crop of youngsters that have come through the current system.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here