Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any floorers on here?

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
What would be the going rate per square meter (labour only), or overall cost in Brighton to install engineered flooring?

Bearing in mind the job would involve:

Removing existing pine floorboards
Putting down 18mm T&G (levelling out joists in some small areas)
Putting down 15mm triple layer acoustic rubber matting (compliance for document E building regs)
Putting down 6mm plywood
Finally putting down the 14mm engineered flooring

The apartment is a Victorian one, around 100 years old. There are 2 different areas that have the flooring: a large living room around 26sqm with a bay window, and a hallway that steps down about halfway along that is a total of 12sqm

The joists are good and solid in the living room, and the level is good. In the hallway there are some areas considerably lower than others and some picking up work required. Possibly around half of the hallway needed this work, so say around 6sqm.

I've already had this work carried out, by an old mate and he's been putting off giving me a price for it, I'd repeatedly wanted one prior to the work starting (as you'd expect), but as we were in a real rush to get started due to wife (impatient) and baby (newborn) we stupidly just ploughed ahead, as he's an old friend and trusted. Things didn't go quite as planned and it ended up taking a lot longer than is reasonable, and additionally, there are some areas where I feel like the joist work wasn't done properly and now there are areas that squeak and I can see that the floor levels are out. Bearing in mind I have no idea what he's going to try and charge me for this, I thought it would be useful to know roughly what the going rate would be for this kind of job (done properly).

NSC usually knows the answers! Cheers!

D

Deleted member 2719

I like the fact he has given potential tradesmen an idea of what he wants. :thumbsup:

Sorry I have no idea.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9615100]What would be the going rate per square meter (labour only), or overall cost in Brighton to install engineered flooring?

Bearing in mind the job would involve:

Removing existing pine floorboards
Putting down 18mm T&G (levelling out joists in some small areas)
Putting down 15mm triple layer acoustic rubber matting (compliance for document E building regs)
Putting down 6mm plywood
Finally putting down the 14mm engineered flooring

The apartment is a Victorian one, around 100 years old. There are 2 different areas that have the flooring: a large living room around 26sqm with a bay window, and a hallway that steps down about halfway along that is a total of 12sqm

The joists are good and solid in the living room, and the level is good. In the hallway there are some areas considerably lower than others and some picking up work required. Possibly around half of the hallway needed this work, so say around 6sqm.

I've already had this work carried out, by an old mate and he's been putting off giving me a price for it, I'd repeatedly wanted one prior to the work starting (as you'd expect), but as we were in a real rush to get started due to wife (impatient) and baby (newborn) we stupidly just ploughed ahead, as he's an old friend and trusted. Things didn't go quite as planned and it ended up taking a lot longer than is reasonable, and additionally, there are some areas where I feel like the joist work wasn't done properly and now there are areas that squeak and I can see that the floor levels are out. Bearing in mind I have no idea what he's going to try and charge me for this, I thought it would be useful to know roughly what the going rate would be for this kind of job (done properly).

NSC usually knows the answers! Cheers!
How long is a lot longer than reasonable? How many days/ hours was he there?
Do you know how much the materials cost?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
How long is a lot longer than reasonable? How many days/ hours was he there?
Do you know how much the materials cost?

Days, hours? More like weeks... The old floor was pulled up on the 20th September and the new one wasn't down until 6th November. They were there pretty much every day between those dates. The did also build a small stud wall under the stairs in that time around 2m x 1m, but they were primarily working on the floor. So I make that around 7 weeks to put the floor down.

The materials were all paid for by me.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9615237 said:
Days, hours? More like weeks... The old floor was pulled up on the 20th September and the new one wasn't down until 6th November. They were there pretty much every day between those dates. The did also build a small stud wall under the stairs in that time around 2m x 1m, but they were primarily working on the floor. So I make that around 7 weeks to put the floor down.

**** me. you say "they were there!" how many of them?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9615237]Days, hours? More like weeks... The old floor was pulled up on the 20th September and the new one wasn't down until 6th November. They were there pretty much every day between those dates. The did also build a small stud wall under the stairs in that time around 2m x 1m, but they were primarily working on the floor. So I make that around 7 weeks to put the floor down.

Well if a proper CARPENTER charged £200-250 a day, you'll be looking at £7000-8750..
I wonder what his mates rates will be..

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Well if a proper CARPENTER charged £200-250 a day, you'll be looking at £7000-8750..
I wonder what his mates rates will be..

Yeah, but a proper carpenter would have probably boshed it out in about 2 weeks. I work in architecture and have been on site regularly for years, plus worked as a labourer when I was younger so know more or less how long things would be expected to take. I didn't employ him for mates rates, he's someone I've know since we were kids and genuinely thought I'd be getting quality work (at an appropriate speed). The main reason I employed him was that I was going to have to give someone the money to do it, and why not let it be him? Based on a carpenter at £200 a day and an helper at around £100 (?) I should be looking at around £3000 in that case.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9615268]Yeah, but a proper carpenter would have probably boshed it out in about 2 weeks. I work in architecture and have been on site regularly for years, plus worked as a labourer when I was younger so know more or less how long things would be expected to take. I didn't employ him for mates rates, he's someone I've know since we were kids and genuinely thought I'd be getting quality work (at an appropriate speed). The main reason I employed him was that I was going to have to give someone the money to do it, and why not let it be him? Based on a carpenter at £200 a day and an helper at around £100 (?) I should be looking at around £3000 in that case.
Well its worrying he hasn't been back in touch with you, I'd want some money after 7 weeks! Hopefully the fact you've known each other since you were kids you'll come to some kind of compromise. Good luck with that chat [emoji106]

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Be cheaper to move :moo:

Joking aside, I think you have both been naive.
You, in not waiting for an estimate and he starting the work in the first place.
It seems like it ran over by several weeks.
Until you get his bill there is no point worrying.
He may be worried that this will affect your friendship.
Ask him what he thought it would come to and split the difference.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Be cheaper to move :moo:

Joking aside, I think you have both been naive.
You, in not waiting for an estimate and he starting the work in the first place.
It seems like it ran over by several weeks.
Until you get his bill there is no point worrying.
He may be worried that this will affect your friendship.
Ask him what he thought it would come to and split the difference.

Yeah, I don't want it to affect our friendship. I feel like he's struggling to put together the price as it's either he's going to be losing money, or I'm going to be massively overpaying. Like you say, we'll probably end up splitting the difference and putting it behind us and going for a substantial meal together or two.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9615316 said:
Don't think he does, he's not an Albion fan!

He'll fit right in...

...unlike your floor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here