Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gustavo Poyet

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
To answer your question I can't really think of youth he brought through. He was better at getting exceptional older players to come to us and then be magnificent (Matt Upson, Wayne Bridge, Bruno, Vicente - ok only in flashes), he could certainly attract a player.

Apart from Dunk, Solly and JFC he didnt bring anyone through. To be honest Im not sure what more he could have done with the youth players available to him at the time.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It would entirely depend on his ego.

When he joined us I think he’d only been an assistant at Leeds. We had a modest 6th highest budget in League One, he obviously accepted that, he pulled some strings to bring in some quality and we played amazing football for 18 months. Definitely a great coaching trio. No excessive demands of a low player budget Board.

From say 2012 or 2013 he completely changed. The football was often possession based to an extreme, Championship opponents were far better with pace. He made the huge mistake of warranting Muzza not worthy of a decent contract, pinning our hopes on CMS. Then the politics started, whinging about budgets, flirting with Championship job offers. Not a team player. A theme continued at an ever growing list of clubs.

Can he bury that ego and work his socks off with the budget handed to him?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He can certainly coach players, would recommend you try out the superb Football, The Albion and Me podcast when the likes of Barnes, Greer and Dcker are interviewed, they all speak incredibly highly of him. The football we played under him was a quantum leap from what we had seen before.

His problem is that he can’t manage himself or upwards to the board level. If there’s a breakdown of trust between board and manager then there’s only going to be one winner.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It would entirely depend on his ego.

When he joined us I think he’d only been an assistant at Leeds. We had a modest 6th highest budget in League One, he obviously accepted that, he pulled some strings to bring in some quality and we played amazing football for 18 months. Definitely a great coaching trio. No excessive demands of a low player budget Board.

From say 2012 or 2013 he completely changed. The football was often possession based to an extreme, Championship opponents were far better with pace. He made the huge mistake of warranting Muzza not worthy of a decent contract, pinning our hopes on CMS. Then the politics started, whinging about budgets, flirting with Championship job offers. Not a team player. A theme continued at an ever growing list of clubs.

Can he bury that ego and work his socks off with the budget handed to him?

From 2012, was when David Burke came in to purchase players, and recruitment.

When the job was offered to Chris Houghton in 2014, David Burke was sacked on the spot.

Team player or over ridden in what he wanted to do?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
He changed our club for the better. That’s a brilliant legacy which any manager should be proud of.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
I will always have fond memories of the majority of the Gus era. Managed to “keep up” with Adkins at Southampton and we played some really good football.

As others have mentioned, I don’t remember him using that much youth but expect good passing football, fast wingers and maybe a couple of well known names towards the end of their careers.

If it doesn’t go well, Gus and hopefully Tanno will provide entertainment on the sidelines. One thing I missed when Hughton was in charge was the drama in the dugouts.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
semi legend for us but dropped us in it with the palace bus driver / poogate scandal ......i think our chairman put up with his moaning about ceilings etc. but when he blurted out on social media the goings on and made a rather skewed opinion of it i think TB realised he was a bit of a whopper.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Other than the ending, I loved Poyet.

My favourite brand of football in my 45 years of watching.

We really were f’ing brilliant.

Shame he behaved like a dick at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I am not sure that Gus will now have the appetite for League 1 football. If all goes well I would expect him to use you as a springboard and jump ship when there is a 'better' opportunity for him.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
If you get two good years from him then it blows up it will probably be worth it and hopefully you'll be at the top of the Championship by then, all the best.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
According to the Argus he has snatched his hat back from the ring. FWIW I would love to see him back in English football, he was NEVER boring.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Other than the ending, I loved Poyet.

My favourite brand of football in my 45 years of watching.

We really were f’ing brilliant.

Shame he behaved like a dick at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly this. Real shame it ended as it did but we all know who it worked out best for in the end.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The transition he oversaw in the football we played was incredible. Absolutely awesome. Then we lose to our biggest rivals in the playoffs for the promised land (like you losing to Newcastle).

You are Gus. Do you (a) say something like “we go again next season” or (b) say your club “had hit the ceiling of what can be achieved”?

His stupidly went for (b) what a dick! He managed to p1ss off even more an entirely p1ssed off fan base. And he wasn’t even correct!

Don’t recall him being a great yoof developer either

We were so dominant in L1 so, yes, we took the game to all our opponents. We basically passed them out of existence, and goals galore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You have to admit, Gus did have a talent to take very average footballers and turn them into superstars. El-Abd, Bridcutt, Noone, Bennett(Slightly unfair perhaps)

But the fact he managed to get Wayne Bridge, Upson & Tomasz Kuszczak at the time were incredible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here