Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gustavo Poyet

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
Afternoon all. I'm a Sunderland fan, just after your opinions and some information.

It's looking like there's a very good chance that Poyet is about to be announced as our new (old) manager. It's a bit of a coup for a League 1 club in my opinion if it happens. We obviously know him well but, as he's said himself, due to the constraints he was under and the challenges of the Prem compared to the leagues below we never saw the best of him or his football philosophy. Despite some great memories and moments he was never able to get us playing the increyable football he had you playing.

So I'm after some of your memories of how he took on League 1. How he managed the squad he inherited. How long it took before he got you properly effective (presumably his first full season after ensuring your safety after he first arrived)?

A couple of specific points I'm interested in. The first is his use and trust in younger, more inexperienced players. At Sunderland we have a few Academy lads that most believe to be far better than the first team plodders that are getting games ahead of them. It was a source of great frustration for most fans to see our previous manager (Phil Parkinson by the way, I realise L1 is the back of beyond that not many people have any interest in following) filling the squad with senior but limited pros and blocking the progression and pathway for our youth players. Even to the extent that in injury crises he would rather play others out of position than giving youth a chance.

I know this sounds like a typical fan's perspective, over romanticised and ill informed and that the real reason they're not getting a game is because they're not good enough. We're adamant that's not the case. To give you an example, 18 year old Bali Mumba was deemed not good enough by Parkinson and shipped out to South Shields on loan. On his return he was sold to Norwich who will be challenging for promotion in the league above. He's been getting absolutely rave reviews, from fans and media a like, in the performances he's made for them (before a current injury).

For me, with where we find ourselves as a club and under the constraints of the salary cap introduced at this level, establishing a pathway from the Academy is absolutely key and would be on my remit for any incoming manager. I'd hate to hear that Poyet has a similar aversion to Parkinson's.

The other point is whether Gus takes the game to teams at this level. Another frustration with Parkinson is that he always set us out to nullify the opposition rather than take the initiative and play on the front foot. With the resources Sunderland have compared to others at this level many considered that to be unacceptable. Poyet took that approach a lot for us in the Prem but that is acceptable as we were at the other end of the scale. In this league was he more attacking? Was it exciting to watch? Did his team create chances and score goals?

Sorry for the essay. I'm just really intrigued what this next chapter may bring. Any response would be greatly appreciated. Having typed all that he probably won't be appointed and Paul Cook will get the job instead. Ah well, I can always copy and paste on to Wigan's forum. ;)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Depends how high the ceilings are , but loved Poyet in the main for what he achieved here .

He won't come cheap and will certainly bring Tarrico with him , but as a league 1 club I'd be over the moon with him in charge .

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Gus completely changed our style of play. We became more disciplined in possession and passed the opposition into submission most weeks. Despite the slightly acrimonious split, Gus will always be fondly remembered here. The L1 championship season was as dominant a season as I have ever season and one of my favourite to watch.

If he does end up Sunderland, good luck, I hope he turns you around

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It will be a rollercoaster experience. I hope his ego has reduced a little.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9614905 said:
I'm pretty sure his first game in charge was V Southampton and we won! 2-1 I think it was.

3-1 wasn't it? Murray double and a Crofts goal iirc

Anyways, he'll be absolutely fantastic for league one if given good foundations, he's shown what he can do with that when he was here. Though things seem a little worse for ware upstairs at Sunderland atm, which may prove to be a bit of a challenge.

Last edited:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
He will end up throwing a strop and walking out on you

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
Depends how high the ceilings are , but loved Poyet in the main for what he achieved here .

He won't come cheap and will certainly bring Tarrico with him , but as a league 1 club I'd be over the moon with him in charge .

I think Tarrico's still at Bordeaux from Poyet's stint there. I know it's a tough choice between Sunderland and Bordeaux but I'm not convinced he'll be rushing over.

Hopefully Poyet can manage without him and it isn't a Clough and Taylor scenario. I'd imagine Oatway will be coming back with him.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I loved Gus when he was here, the change in fortune and long term culture he brought to this club was dramatic, I will always wish him well.

But I was amazed when I saw this story, I hope it works out for you and him but it's a big risk for Sunderland going back there I think. I'm not sure he's done anything in his career since leaving that justifies him getting the job and he will always bring baggage with him (and I'm not just referring to Charlie and Tanno there!).

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see you currently have a vacancy for chairman. Gus - wherever he has gone - has fallen out with his chairman.

If Gus comes in now he'll look to do everything his way, so when the new chairman does come in they might have a job wresting power back from him.

With the lack of money, no chairman, Gus having been out of management for over 2 years and Sunderland's basket case reputation it is difficult to see this appointment going well.

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
Gus completely changed our style of play. We became more disciplined in possession and passed the opposition into submission most weeks. Despite the slightly acrimonious split, Gus will always be fondly remembered here. The L1 championship season was as dominant a season as I have ever season and one of my favourite to watch.

If he does end up Sunderland, good luck, I hope he turns you around

Thanks.

Did he bring any kids through from your youth set up in his 4 years? Were there any prospects he was dismissive of?

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
It will be a rollercoaster experience. I hope his ego has reduced a little.

If the way his last few appointments have ended are anything to go by then I'd suggest not.

He has said he's more interested in working for the right people in his next job, that he feels and he can trust. That's the most important thing to him now rather than country, league, money etc.

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
3-1 wasn't it? Murray double and a Crofts goal iirc

Anyways, he'll be absolutely fantastic for a league one if given good foundations, he's shown what he can do with that when he was here. Though things seem a little worse for ware upstairs at Sunderland atm, which may prove to be a bit of a challenge.

Supposedly we're due investment and a change of control at the club any day now. More than likely that's the catalyst for Poyet's appointment. A complete restructure is being mooted with a sporting director appointment paramount. Hopefully that will mean an improvement upstairs and better foundations for Gus to build on.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
He was brilliant at first; one of our best managers ever.

Got us playing delightful football which was a joy to watch, and his early post-match interviews were very entertaining too - he was a real 'character' and a breath of fresh air. His enthusiasm and passion were infectious

However, over time - perhaps flattered too much by all the praise and plaudits - he became arrogant, petulant and surly, and made it clear he was destined for greater things at a bigger club.

In terms of his character and personality, recall how the exuberant and mischievous Jose Mourinho MK I morphed into the surly and miserable Jose Mourinho Mk II :)

Culinary

Dec 1, 2020
I loved Gus when he was here, the change in fortune and long term culture he brought to this club was dramatic, I will always wish him well.

But I was amazed when I saw this story, I hope it works out for you and him but it's a big risk for Sunderland going back there I think. I'm not sure he's done anything in his career since leaving that justifies him getting the job and he will always bring baggage with him (and I'm not just referring to Charlie and Tanno there!).

He's done very, very well at Bordeaux, decently at AEK and in China and abysmally at Betis (it sounds like they were a state though). Most worryingly though, he's not lasted long at any of them.

There were generally valid reasons, not necessarily all Poyet's fault, behind each departure.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Supposedly we're due investment and a change of control at the club any day now. More than likely that's the catalyst for Poyet's appointment. A complete restructure is being mooted with a sporting director appointment paramount. Hopefully that will mean an improvement upstairs and better foundations for Gus to build on.

That all sounds encouraging, and there is plenty of 'room' for growth and development. The only concern I'd have is that Poyet, being a very 'wilful' person, who likes total control everything, the appointment of a director of football will probably rub him up the wrong way.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That all sounds encouraging, and there is plenty of 'room' for growth and development. The only concern I'd have is that Poyet, being a very 'wilful' person, who likes total control everything, the appointment of a director of football will probably rub him up the wrong way.

Sounds like fun. Cant wait to see it on Netflix.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

That's good, as I say he's a brilliant manager at that level and even beyond, but he's not necessarily that 'calm head' you'd want around if at board level there was a bit of a circus. Would love to see Sunderland back near the top of the football pyramid, if this restructuring goes well Poyet could well be the man to get you there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here