Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gustavo Poyet

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Other than the ending, I loved Poyet.

My favourite brand of football in my 45 years of watching.

We really were f’ing brilliant.

Shame he behaved like a dick at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In his quiet, reflective moments - Gus must know that he ****ed up with the Albion. If he'd just kept his mouth shut like Chris did following the C&UShyster show at Boro, he could have cleared the air with Tony about structure and recruitment and he'd have probably got us to the PL.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
For 3 years we were a brilliant team. We were extraordinary in that League 1 dominating season, every game we went into thinking we would win it. Not play for a draw, not play with a hope for a win - playing to win the game from the start. It was an amazing season to sit back and watch and when things were great, they were perfect. It was always going to go sour but the last few weeks/month of the season don't change the whole Gus experience. It was incredible.

Look up the podcast starring Gus posted by a fan earlier this year - it was amazing how genuinely Gus remembers his time here and how fondly he speaks of Plymouth away in August 2010, all the way through to that Championship Play-Off defeat.

I remember the Gus great years, I was there. But he’s been fairly useless and toxic ever since.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Other than the ending, I loved Poyet.

My favourite brand of football in my 45 years of watching.

We really were f’ing brilliant.

Shame he behaved like a dick at the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

100% this although I think Potter is going to eclipse Poyet’s style if he hasn’t already.

Gus also raised the profile of the club at the time and signified a real statement of intent.

I still think he’s a good manager personally. Bit of a Latin temperament, but would do a great job for many aspiring teams below the Premier.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I remember the Gus great years, I was there. But he’s been fairly useless and toxic ever since.

I don't disagree - I don't think there's a case to argue against. I think he came to us with his ego in proportion to his experience and potential. It seems that the balance has swung the other way with him now, he's not won multiple titles at various clubs. If he wants to get back into management, he needs a job like Sunderland in my opinion - a club clearly below its potential and a real chance to get a club into the Premier League if he can replicate his level of engagement with the club he had with us in the first few years.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poyet disgusted me earlydoors as a new manager. Far more interested in projecting his absurdly over-inflated ego than learning the tools of his trade as a rookie manager. In my opinion, any chairman seeing his manager turn his back on a penalty being given to the home side at Withdean in order to mug it up to the South Stand should have been fined and put on a disciplinary footing. TB gave GP way too much of a free rein, to the point where the manager took it for granted he was bigger than the club and was doing the club a favour in even being there. Seriously warped individual IMHO

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
You have to admit, Gus did have a talent to take very average footballers and turn them into superstars. El-Abd, Bridcutt, Noone, Bennett(Slightly unfair perhaps)

But the fact he managed to get Wayne Bridge, Upson & Tomasz Kuszczak at the time were incredible.

Yes, but the fact that he only managed to get us a play-off finish that year was a massive underachievement- with that team we should have walked that league that year, Hughton would have had us up at champions with that squad

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Had great couple of years but got to full of own importance. I remember when Vicente did something special he gave money sign to Bloom obviously saying thats what we get when you get in good players. Very disrespectful at the time

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Disrespectful and ego - common theme throughout this thread

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Poyet disgusted me earlydoors as a new manager. Far more interested in projecting his absurdly over-inflated ego than learning the tools of his trade as a rookie manager. In my opinion, any chairman seeing his manager turn his back on a penalty being given to the home side at Withdean in order to mug it up to the South Stand should have been fined and put on a disciplinary footing. TB gave GP way too much of a free rein, to the point where the manager took it for granted he was bigger than the club and was doing the club a favour in even being there. Seriously warped individual IMHO

Did you enjoy the style of football THPP ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did you enjoy the style of football THPP ?

I'll give GP credit for teaching Adam El-Abd and T. Elphick to play the ball on the ground rather than just hoof it into the trees like every previous manager, coach and senior pro since forever always told them to do. Tho that daft little eternal triangle at the back that ended with Ankergren just hoofing it upfield anyway was as gormless and ineffectual as that dicking aound at the back that the current manager instigated that nobody feels comfortable with, least of all the players under orders to do it

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Do you think he regrets leaving us yet.

Also, has he apologised for telling outright lies on tv - when he claimed the first he heard of his sacking by Brighton was when the BBC pundit asked him about it live on tv. Liar.

He was sacked for begging Reading to offer him the manager’s job and attending interviews with them. He knew that before he subsequently went on the BBC.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
100% this although I think Potter is going to eclipse Poyet’s style if he hasn’t already.

Gus also raised the profile of the club at the time and signified a real statement of intent.

I still think he’s a good manager personally. Bit of a Latin temperament, but would do a great job for many aspiring teams below the Premier.

He may do, and I know [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] disagrees, but personally I think we are some way off. The build up with Poyet was a lot faster and more incisive in the final third, plus sound defensively. I liked the one touch stuff. (The perfect combination for me personally).

However, this was all done at a lower level and I arguably think Poyet would be no better than GP at PL level.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I'll give GP credit for teaching Adam El-Abd and T. Elphick to play the ball on the ground rather than just hoof it into the trees like every previous manager, coach and senior pro since forever always told them to do. Tho that daft little eternal triangle at the back that ended with Ankergren just hoofing it upfield anyway was as gormless and ineffectual as that dicking aound at the back that the current manager instigated that nobody feels comfortable with, least of all the players under orders to do it

I’ll take that as a No. Cheers.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Also, has he apologised for telling outright lies on tv - when he claimed the first he heard of his sacking by Brighton was when the BBC pundit asked him about it live on tv. Liar.

He was sacked for begging Reading to offer him the manager’s job and attending interviews with them. He knew that before he subsequently went on the BBC.

He was given permission to talk to Reading by Bloom.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Other opinions are available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here