Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Sir Philip Green the downside of Karma.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A complete s*** by all accounts, but the downside of his current misfortune is 13,000 honest, hardworking people having their jobs at serious risk.

Just how 500 high street stores can survive in these uncertain and unprecedented times is a huge ask?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A complete s*** by all accounts, but the downside of his current misfortune is 13,000 honest, hardworking people having their jobs at serious risk.

Just how 500 high street stores can survive in these uncertain and unprecedented times is a huge ask?

The taxpayer actually paid this tax dodger for advice!!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I've got a very good friend that was the Purchasing Director for BHS and reported directly to this ****. He's not adverse to the occasional 'feel' and 'hug'. Awful bloke who is going to get away with his actions and tax dodging.

Thankfully for my friend she was made redundant and got a very significant package which allowed her to buy a few places in Ibiza and start a small clothes shop there.

D

Deleted member 2719

I've got a very good friend that was the Purchasing Director for BHS and reported directly to this ****. He's not adverse to the occasional 'feel' and 'hug'. Awful bloke who is going to get away with his actions and tax dodging.

Thankfully for my friend she was made redundant and got a very significant package which allowed her to buy a few places in Ibiza and start a small clothes shop there.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't a lot of hugging go on in corporate business's???

No excuses for him but, I thought it was par for the course to scale the ladder.

I have only been in one corporate business and this was a hug fest, straight men hugging straight men.

Green does seem a very unpleasant man.

Good luck to all his employees.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
He should be stripped of his knighthood and everything he owns down to the shirt on his back

w-anchor

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
We're going down like BHS,
While the abled bodied vultures monitor and pick at us,
We're going down and it's no stress,
I lay and hope for the knuckle dragging exodus,
We're going down like BHS,
While the abled bodied vultures monitor and pick at us,
We're going down and it's no stress,
We're going down like BHS

Ooh, laying on a boat well what do you do
But ooh, laying on a boat mate look at you,
But ooh, laying on a boat well what do you do
But ooh Laying on a boat mate look at you
(Look at you!)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

Now let me start by saying that in no way am I defending him or anything to do with him, but taking a simplistic view the other side of the coin is that this **** kept 13,000 mostly honest and mostly hardworking people in jobs for many years, and it sounds like someone did rather well out of his business with a lucrative payment which set them up for the future.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Not sure if there is any karma involved at all, Green has his Millions of pounds safely abroad, he's made his pile and will live very happily ever after whatever.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Now let me start by saying that in no way am I defending him or anything to do with him, but taking a simplistic view the other side of the coin is that this **** kept 13,000 mostly honest and mostly hardworking people in jobs for many years, and it sounds like someone did rather well out of his business with a lucrative payment which set them up for the future.

you look at it from the wrong angle. People like Green make their fortune off the back of hardworking people. How would he otherwise? Are you saying without Green there wouldn't be clothes shops? His skill is about milking companies assets and making himself wealthier

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Not sure if there is any karma involved at all, Green has his Millions of pounds safely abroad, he's made his pile and will live very happily ever after whatever.

Possibly not on the same scale but there has to be a 'Belotti factor' in there somewhere, my dear old Dad had a long time Rotary friend from Bath who recounted to Dad's delight about DB post 1997 was forever on edge in public, both home and abroad, for fear of bumping into an Albion fan.

At the very least I hope Green is stripped of his Knighthood.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If Karma exists he'll do a Maxwell, fall off his yacht and sink.

I can only hope the resulting Tsunami doesn't affect top many French coastal toiwns.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Someone certainly did do well with a lucrative payment that set them up for the future :

"Much of their wealth is derived from a £1.2bn dividend payment Sir Philip took from Arcadia and paid to his wife in 2005, two years after buying the business.

Since Lady Green is a resident in Monaco, it was paid to her tax-free.

The couple are worth £930m, according to the Sunday Times Rich List.

Adding to the uncertainty facing the thousands of Arcadia staff is an estimated £350m hole in the company's pension fund."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55089327

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Apparently £30 million could save thousands of jobs, his ‘yacht’ is worth about £100 million..........

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If Karma exists he'll do a Maxwell, fall off his yacht and sink.

I can only hope the resulting Tsunami doesn't affect top many French coastal toiwns.

There was an article in the business section of Private Eye that clearly predicted the yacht incident, days before it happened. If you think that Green may fake his own death and disappear, I suspect the level of criminality and the amount he'd lose if caught is a drop in the ocean compared with Captain Bob's plundering.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Apparently £30 million could save thousands of jobs, his ‘yacht’ is worth about £100 million..........

Yes, but if he sold that one then he’d only have two yachts left, and that’s not fair is it? Everyone needs at least three floating gin palaces worth several gazillion pounds, don’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Debenhams going as well now. Hope you like Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys/Amazon as they might be all that is left to buy everything soon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
To be fair Debenhams have been in trouble for years. Their offering is very outdated and random. Real shame as they had some excellent staff who have been with the business for a long time. However they also have a massive HQ in central London (in the same building as Facebook office before they moved) which can't be have been cheap nor paying London wages to a few hundred people.

Perhaps we will see a turning of the high street to make way for smaller independent retailers.

Last edited:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
you look at it from the wrong angle. People like Green make their fortune off the back of hardworking people. How would he otherwise? Are you saying without Green there wouldn't be clothes shops? His skill is about milking companies assets and making himself wealthier

Absolutely. I'm sick of hearing how some multi-millionaire business tycoon provided jobs for 1,000s of ordinary people. Er, no; 1,000s of ordinary people worked hard to generate the wealth that made these people multi-millionaires.

Sure, you can argue that his business acumen (increasingly questionable) created those jobs in the first place, but then without the work of his staff, the companies would not achieve such success and generated his fortunes. So why do the staff never become rich; their wages stay the same however hard they work, and however much profit their work creates.

I'm not anti-capitalist, but I am sick of a particular version of (Anglo-American) Capitalism where the CEOs are often paid 160 times more than their front-line staff, many of whom are often on the minimum wage and reliant on top-up benefits - basically the much-maligned welfare state being exploited by Scrooge-like corporate bosses "I don't need to make my staff a decent wage, because the tax-payer will make-up the shortfall."

Even Margaret Thatcher's former Adviser, Ferdinant Mount, has said that too many of Britain's corporate bosses are vastly overpaid.

Rant over; I'll now go and lie down in a dark room :)

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I'm looking at it from a DIFFERENT angle, devil's advocate and all. The fact that you think it's the WRONG angle belies an agenda. Please re-read the first 20 words in my post. I am saying nothing.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here