Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa throwing themselves to the floor.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Haven't known a team do it as much as them except maybe Seville a few seasons ago and South American teams in the international tournaments seem to do it a fair bit. Do you think it could be a tactic of Dean Smith's?

Grealish is obviously the standout but there whole team seems to be jumping to the floor at every opportunity. I know you get the individual culprits the Mo Salah's, Wilf Zaha's, James Maddison's, Harry Kane's and the Luis Suarez's to name a few and I'm not saying we've never had a player who does it. However it does make me think maybe with the introduction of VAR diving or conning the refs is such an effective way of getting goals via freekicks in dangerous positions and soft penalties which ultimately leads to points.

You see so many freekicks given that would have never been given even 5 years ago for basically nothing often not even contact around the edge of the box and it feels like every game has at least one VAR penalty check I can understand why teams do it but it is frustrating to watch.

I just don't see the solution to be honest, without replacing the refs with more competent ones who won't buy it so easily.

Apologies for the rant but it does annoy me a tad.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep - they’re the worst. Their fans speak funny, they’re arrogant, have the 2nd most detestable player in world football and they’re cheats. Not a lot to like. The fact the West Ham coach got booked for calling Grealish a diver & a cheat is laughable :lol:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Standard Villa tactic = throw yourself to the ground whenever you're within set piece distance of the opponents goal and score from resultant set piece. Grealish is the exponent extraordinaire of this tactic. Works well for them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Interesting that they don’t go down so easily in the area, apart from our game, as their diving will get analysed by var. they do it in dangerous areas outside. In normal play they offer very little creative ideas.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s been going on for years, England’s golden boy Rooney cheated for club pens. Mourinho’s Porto were talented but contained an array of diving cheats such as Deco.

The rules/interpretations from FIFA downwards were forced on our game first, in increments.

Overnight each time, clubs coached the new openings to cheating.

Villa have taken it to an industrial level.

A Villa fan on the internet tonight defended it with “Our players are so used to being repeatedly fouled, they’re now anticipating it”.

How about simply trying to advance upfield and score, until genuinely brought down?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Maupay and Connolly also do it on a regular basis.

Maybe some players are more renowned than others, but I would be hesitant to single anyone out. Pot/kettle.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Villa take cheating to a whole new level. It’s clearly all Smith has got. Comparisons with other teams are laughable. The FA needs to clamp down. Retrospective sendings off for clear and obvious incidents like Grealish going down clutching the wrong leg and getting a West Ham player booked. He did similar to Tariq. Odd that it wasn’t mentioned in the sky post match analysis....

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Villa take cheating to a whole new level. It’s clearly all Smith has got. Comparisons with other teams are laughable. The FA needs to clamp down. Retrospective sendings off for clear and obvious incidents like Grealish going down clutching the wrong leg and getting a West Ham player booked. He did similar to Tariq. Odd that it wasn’t mentioned in the sky post match analysis....

Post match, independent video reviews is what's needed. Similar to what the AFL does in Australia. You'll soon see an end to the diving if its done properly.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ladies. Pull up your knickers and make me a cup of tea.

If Grealish was a Brighton boy, in our team, we'd have 24 hour boners. Fact. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't recall either of them diving though. Probably have once or twice but not over and over and over. Most of the time with Connolly there is some contact which he goes down easily from. There is a big difference between exaggerating a contact and diving.
The simple fact is that the grelish dive count is probably higher per game than in Maupay and Connolly's entire career.

If you ‘go down easily’ isn’t that diving?

As you say not seen it in Maupay that I recall, but Connolly often does it. There is the highlighting minimal contact to the referee argument, but equally I believe there are occasions when he could have got a shot away.

Grealish is basically a cheat, but Connolly isn’t innocent either, it’s just that he doesn’t seem very good at it - perhaps he doesn’t squeal enough like Grealish.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Post match, independent video reviews is what's needed. Similar to what the AFL does in Australia. You'll soon see an end to the diving if its done properly.

For thast particular scene I'd like access to super slo-mo to check for snipers bullets, and assuming nothing there a Bafta nomination.

That really should be followed up with a rescinding of the yellow card and at least a one match ban for blatant cheating, ungentlemanly conduct, simulation, being a downright c**t or All 4

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No

I do wonder if players, not just Grealish but every player who likes to take a tumble, looks back on the replays and thinks "oof, what was I playing at?"

Or if they've got zero shame at all.

I presume the latter.
"All part of the game, innit".

No it isn't you contemptuous, overpaid, cheating baby.

It's all part of YOUR game, not THE game.

But what's worse is the enabling that goes along with it.

Last night's commentary when Trezertwat's shirt was slightly pulled back causing him to lunge forward, they were saying 'well you can see contact just there'.

As Rob Holding said during Sunday nights game:-
"he's built like a f*****g brick shitehouse, how did he fall over for that".

We need a bit more of that.
Refs doing the dive sign while booking.

If they insist of forensically analysing the 'contact' don't why away from what's actually happened when there isn't any.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here