Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Another VAR Thread

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
Regarding offsides, How about this which is being done in Eredivisie? (Against FIFA's wishes). A 5cm margin of error on the lines

EoGlzwWW8AEuUgB.jpeg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Can it be done with AI sending a signal to ref's watch like goal line technology?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
are the lines drawn are fine enough or square on to give such a error margin? think being inline to the eye of a linesman should be sufficient, so er, stay with linesman.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’ve said about thickening the lines up for a while after reading it suggested in here. I’d do that and only have it for that if at all. If we have to keep it that is, which I imagine we will have to do!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whichever method rules out the most Villa 'goals' is fine by me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Can it be done with AI sending a signal to ref's watch like goal line technology?

Of course. There is nothing AI cant solve, making humans obsolete in the long run. Question is if you really want to bring that shit into football.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and relating to present game, what the actual f, measuring elbows and missing a foul?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What does this solve? Takes just as long and means the wrong decision will be made sometimes when the evidence is the other way.

So do we then extend to whether ball crosses line? If it is 5cm or less over the line, it actually isn't. Good.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’ve been giving this some thought. How about getting someone to put on a black kit and make the decisions? He/she might get some wrong but that’s no worse than what we have now. The advantage would be that fans could celebrate goals. You know; the bit we all love the most. It might work.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dear oh dear.

I have answered all your questions previously.

What is it that dogs do with their own vomit?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
VAR takes a forensic slide rule approach to what is a human game played at speed on grass.
The suggestion would be an improvement.....Far better to bin the whole thing and let the ref and the linesman ( or woman ) decide.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Do you know If there a margin of error for goal line tech?

I don’t see how you can have one for offside and not for Hawkeye

Different circumstances though isn’t it ?

Simple question of fact as to whether the whole of the ball crossed the line.

For offside, it’s not that clear cut due to, for starters, the length of time the ball is in contact with the boot of the player putting it forward. At what point during the contact is the line drawn ?

I think they should be developing robots who can fulfil the roles of referee and assistants on a foolproof basis. The players would then have no focus for their hissy tantrums and Grealish can be sent off every match for simulation.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Different circumstances though isn’t it ?

Simple question of fact as to whether the whole of the ball crossed the line.

For offside, it’s not that clear cut due to, for starters, the length of time the ball is in contact with the boot of the player putting it forward. At what point during the contact is the line drawn ?

I disagree, if the player is offside under the current rules he is off side, there shouldn’t be a margin of error - that makes it even worse and a massive gray area.

Personally think they should bin it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I disagree, if the player is offside under the current rules he is off side, there shouldn’t be a margin of error - that makes it even worse and a massive gray area.

Personally think they should bin it.

Already been proven that they can't actually determine when the ball is 'played' - think they used Sterling as an example, in that he could travel something like 1.5 metres whilst the ball is in contact with the passer's foot. Where would the line be drawn in that case ? Simply needs to be a thicker line and it'll be innstantly improved (not perfect, but better) - like what the Dutch have done.

No way they'll bin VAR now (I wish they would too - ****ing hate that pause after every goal now, it's crap) so got to find a way of making it work better. For offside, the forensic lines apply a level of precision that simply doesn't work

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Already been proven that they can't actually determine when the ball is 'played' - think they used Sterling as an example, in that he could travel something like 1.5 metres whilst the ball is in contact with the passer's foot. Where would the line be drawn in that case ? Simply needs to be a thicker line and it'll be innstantly improved (not perfect, but better) - like what the Dutch have done.

No way they'll bin VAR now (I wish they would too - ****ing hate that pause after every goal now, it's crap) so got to find a way of making it work better. For offside, the forensic lines apply a level of precision that simply doesn't work

If it’s not perfect for yes/no choices what’s the point of it?

Sadly you are correct about them not getting rid of it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Why though ? Gary Neville was saying last night that the fans don’t like it. Why do we have to keep something that is not wanted ? Seems to me it is on the basis that technology=progress and is therefore always a good thing. At some point the game is going to have to listen to it’s true paymasters; the fans.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here