Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Welsh Pubs

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
COVID-19: Welsh pubs and restaurants banned from selling alcohol and face 6pm curfew http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...elling-alcohol-and-must-close-at-6pm-12147111

What’s the point of them opening?

While Covid restrictions are obviously necessary some of the rulings smack of the nanny state and we know better than you. Why does it make any difference whether you drink or not? Why do you have to close at 6pm if you cannot serve Alcohol anyway? Is there a Covid strain that pounces on pissed people at 6-01?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
COVID-19: Welsh pubs and restaurants banned from selling alcohol and face 6pm curfew http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-...elling-alcohol-and-must-close-at-6pm-12147111

What do our fellow members who reside in Wales think, I’m beginning to think these devolved nations leaders are acting in a very strange manner.

Been to more than one northern European country where supermarkets block off aisles and padlock the door to their beer fridge @ 6pm-7pm. And that's pre-covid. Why not follow that lead, complete pain in the arse tho it is?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
While Covid restrictions are obviously necessary some of the rulings smack of the nanny state and we know better than you. Why does it make any difference whether you drink or not? Why do you have to close at 6pm if you cannot serve Alcohol anyway? Is there a Covid strain that pounces on pissed people at 6-01?

I believe the wisdom behind it is drunk people make some bad choices and aren't particularly adherent to social distancing guidelines.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
As posted in the main thread

This was always happening, Wales/Scotland going into a 2 week circuit breaker was never going to be 2 weeks.

Same as it was never going to be a month for us in England - Minus the shops

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

What do our fellow members who reside in Wales think, I’m beginning to think these devolved nations leaders are acting in a very strange manner.

I haven’t been to a pub or restaurant since February so it will not make any difference to me. Fortunately for me they are not closing outdoor leisure facilities so I can still stay in my Motorhome when I want to.

I think it’s probably the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Been to more than one northern European country where supermarkets block off aisles and padlock the door to their beer fridge @ 6pm-7pm. And that's pre-covid. Why not follow that lead, complete pain in the arse tho it is?

More than one, you sure? Brings up some traumatic experiences from my trips to Norway... "just stop ****ing around and give me my god damn beer that costs a wheelbarrow of gold". But no, never happening, God is too strong in Norway. In Sweden supermarkets can only sell alcohol with a percentage of up to 3,5%, anything else and you need to go to Systembolaget that closes at 18 or 19, so access is quite limited. In Denmark you can get a bottle of 80% Stroh rum if you are above the age of 4, doubt they are blocking off any booze aisles.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
As a pub lover, my life has completely changed this year. Haven't visited a pub for ages, although we have lunch booked for this Thursday!, the whole pub shutting palava now doesn't affect me. Also as a real ale drinker slightly put off by the thought of beer not being in top form. Hoping next year will recover well.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Why does it make any difference whether you drink or not?

Tbh I'm surprised people still don't grasp that being drunk in a closed space is one of the riskiest environments for transmission. Saliva. People covering each other in droplets as they mouth off after a few drinks. That, and as mentioned, bad decision making when drunk.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Tbh I'm surprised people still don't grasp that being drunk in a closed space is one of the riskiest environments for transmission. Saliva. People covering each other in droplets as they mouth off after a few drinks. That, and as mentioned, bad decision making when drunk.
Not everyone who goes for a drink in a pub gets smashed like a teenager ffs.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Not everyone who goes for a drink in a pub gets smashed like a teenager ffs.

And I'm not talking about teenagers or getting smashed. I'm talking about having one or two pints and conversation in close quarters with other people.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Really? The stats don’t back this up at all.

Hospitals/Care homes/School/Work are way ahead - last check showed venues at about 3%

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Really? The stats don’t back this up at all.

Hospitals/Care homes/School/Work are way ahead - last check showed venues at about 3%

OK, that's fair enough. I shouldn't have said 'one of the riskiest', although the nature of those places and the number of people/amount of time spent in them would make it a given that they are miles ahead really. But mixing socially, and throwing in alcohol to get people loosened up and chatty, in closed spaces is a high risk situation. I should say, I'm not in the UK, am in Japan, and from the very start the advice has been mask up, avoid closed spaces, keep your saliva to yourself. There are people at sports events here but no one sings for example. It seems to have been a far better approach than the UK's.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
More than one, you sure? Brings up some traumatic experiences from my trips to Norway... "just stop ****ing around and give me my god damn beer that costs a wheelbarrow of gold". But no, never happening, God is too strong in Norway. In Sweden supermarkets can only sell alcohol with a percentage of up to 3,5%, anything else and you need to go to Systembolaget that closes at 18 or 19, so access is quite limited. In Denmark you can get a bottle of 80% Stroh rum if you are above the age of 4, doubt they are blocking off any booze aisles.

Stroh rum that brings back nightmares, awful stuff.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

numerous borders opened over here , people travelling all over the country , bands playing "all you need is love" and "life goes on " at airport arrivals .....politicians and police chiefs stood at the side of the road welcoming people into states and waving goodbye to those leaving ........for **** sake get me a ****ing bucket , the world has gone mad , meanwhile 100's of thousands of Indian farmers are protesting in Delhi about government measures.....not a mask amongst them ....wt a f is going on ...:mad:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I haven’t been to a pub or restaurant since February so it will not make any difference to me. Fortunately for me they are not closing outdoor leisure facilities so I can still stay in my Motorhome when I want to.

I think it’s probably the right thing to do in the circumstances.
That's ok then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure there'll be a few pubs serving pubs -the Welsh love a bit of illegal drinking. I have fond memories of a Sunday lunchtime spent in a Carmarthen boozer, sitting on the floor with the curtains drawn as the heddlu tried to peer in. I'm sure there'll be scenes like that all over the country.

Iechyd da

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here