Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jiminez - Fractured Skull

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's the same with the other sports though, but they are more stop/start so easier to pick up on. If they get a clear hit to the head they get assesed, might make VAR worthwhile and give them something to do the rest of the time. And if someone abuses it, a massive ban and fine.

But David Luiz was assessed and passed the concussion protocol, so I am not sure what 'else' you can do. Unless it is a more extensive test and you allow a concussion sub which they are trialing in the FA Cup this year

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
It was a sickening impact and I'm not at all surprised he has a fracture - I think you could hear the crack of bone at the time of the incident. It was certainly one of those that you aren't sorry they dont replay on MOTD after the initial long shot.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Out of interest, what other sports allow it? Cricket? (those bowlers run fast) long distance track events? Rugby?

Not sure but I would say its probably allowed in most games played on grass and in probably every single winter sport.

In most sports its not needed. The tennis player could swallow the thick saliva with some water in breaks etc, same goes for sports with quick substitutions like basketball, handball and so on. In football you cant just head out to the sideline every 10th minute to have a water break and swallow it down, you need to get rid of it in a different way (spitting).

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I dont think its allowed in any indoor sport as it would get really dangerous really quick with a slippery floor. But they are not breathing cold air (definitely plays a part, just watch the NHL - they do nothing but spit)

NHL is an indoor sport! They need to BAN spitting NOW for the safety of ALL players.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
If you’ve been involved in an incident that causes that kind of injury is fairly obvious and was obvious to everyone the impact was massive, then both players should come off regardless of ‘passing’ a concussion test, of course you can’t have players coming off for any impact on the head otherwise you’d be left with half a team in most games but surely common sense tells you with an impact that big, both players should be off.

Is it really worth playing on and risking it? I said this in the match thread but I suffered a concussion in Sunday league a few years ago, soldiered on in the game at centre half so was heading a fair amount and I’ve never suffered so much for the week after it, it angers me so much that this is still happening in football, something serious is going to happen for them to sort the protocols out it seems.

Yoda

English & European
I think the blood seeping through the bandage was enough.

Just because there is still blood seeping through from a would does not mean they are concussed. Lets not forget the real reason our very own Steve Foster always used to wear a headband. He had a cut that would re-open every time he would head the ball for the rest of his career, the head band contained dressings to combat this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you’ve been involved in an incident that causes that kind of injury is fairly obvious and was obvious to everyone the impact was massive, then both players should come off regardless of ‘passing’ a concussion test, of course you can’t have players coming off for any impact on the head otherwise you’d be left with half a team in most games but surely common sense tells you with an impact that big, both players should be off.

Is it really worth playing on and risking it? I said this in the match thread but I suffered a concussion in Sunday league a few years ago, soldiered on in the game at centre half so was heading a fair amount and I’ve never suffered so much for the week after it, it angers me so much that this is still happening in football, something serious is going to happen for them to sort the protocols out it seems.

But that is the whole argument - who and how do you define a 'massive' impact. Yesterday is obvious, the Ryan Kent one is obvious, but plenty more incidents out there which have caused concussions but not necessarily massive impacts.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Just because there is still blood seeping through from a would does not mean they are concussed. Lets not forget the real reason our very own Steve Foster always used to wear a headband. He had a cut that would re-open every time he would head the ball for the rest of his career, the head band contained dressings to combat this.

I am aware of this... but my issue is that in this day and age he shouldn't have been allowed back out with a wrapped wound in the first place, regardless of concussions

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
But that is the whole argument - who and how do you define a 'massive' impact. Yesterday is obvious, the Ryan Kent one is obvious, but plenty more incidents out there which have caused concussions but not necessarily massive impacts.

For me safety first should always be the option when it comes to concussion, it’s difficult as it’s not a visible injury sometimes but incidents like yesterday cannot continue, if they do it’s a matter of time until someone ends up in a very bad way in my opinion, it’s happened it other sports. The simple fact Luiz continued after that impact is quite frankly shocking.

WilburySeagull

Sep 2, 2017
Hove

How is it possible that a player who is bleeding is allowed onto the pitch. And yesI watched Dteve Foster but hopefully safety protocols have moved on since then. Rugby has better protocols and "blood replacements."

All that said best wishes to Jiminez for recovery.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
When I played, my nose used to run and it was a horrible feeling. Struggling to breathe, having to breathe through the mouth which dries you out. So I'd have to regularly clear my nose... obviously onto the grass and not on other players!

Subs, managers etc there is zero excuse. They have time to use a tissue if they must expel anything

Unlike cricket or rugby , football is a very working class sport so unfortunately even with some of the managers , their manners are not always a good example to others .

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Ha ha, Declan Rice just spat in the tunnel on the way to the pitch for kick off. Wow I bet that was really energetic and bought up the phlegm.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
First thought was fracture of the skull. Have certainly never thought it would end his career though. Interesting posts in this thread.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
First thought was fracture of the skull. Have certainly never thought it would end his career though. Interesting posts in this thread.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
You can say that again.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Well, it happens. Ryan Mason is one example. Petr Cech wouldnt have been able to keep playing if he played in a different position. Others with skull fractures returns to play within weeks... I would imagine there's all kinds of different skull fractures.

D

Deleted member 2719

Played in a match years ago where our player fractured his head, he continued to have X-rays on a regular basis for several years.
That was the worse football injury I saw in probably 600 matches. Horrific, I thought he could die.
I wish the lad all the best.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Well, it happens. Ryan Mason is one example. Petr Cech wouldnt have been able to keep playing if he played in a different position. Others with skull fractures returns to play within weeks... I would imagine there's all kinds of different skull fractures.

The incident was very similar to one which happened to one of our players at Grimsby in the early noughties. We were playing Derby in the Sky Saturday evening game and Danny Higginbotham flew straight into the back of the head of our striker Steve Livingstone. Livvo, who was known for being as hard as nails, was in a really bad way - he'd suffered a fractured skull, was bleeding out of his ears and had several fits on the pitch and in the ambulance. I believe he even stopped breathing on a couple of occasions, too.

The game was stopped for the best part of 20 minutes - it was incredibly tough to watch as the ground fell silent as the medics visibily struggled to get a 6ft 2, 14 stone bloke onto a stretcher while suffering convulsions. Fabrizio Ravanelli who was in the Derby side was seen by the Sky cameras pleading with the referree to abandon the game. It was a brutal incident, and it's no exaggeration to say that the player nearly died. Without doubt the most harrowing thing I've witnessed in a football stadium.

That was on 17th August 2002. His next game for us came just weeks later on 8th October. He scored his next goal in our freakish 6-5 win over Burnley that Halloween. It's questionable whether he was ever the same player again, although he was by this time 33 and his game was built on physicality and fearlessness, something you'd expect to lose a little bit of.

But my point is every case is different. Ryan Mason was sadly unable to resume his career (or at least opted not to after weighing up the risks) after his injury, whereas Livvo was back with in weeks. Fingers and toes crossed for Jimenez that his prognosis is more akin to the latter's story.

Link for reference: https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ingstone-broke-skull-in-collision-173991.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here