Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Jiminez - Fractured Skull

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Absolutely grim accident, wish him all the best and a speedy recovery. He's a terrific player, would be a great shame if he couldn't continue after this.

and while we're here, the decision to allow Luiz to continue in the game was absolutely ridiculous. Whoever decides the concussion protocols needs to take a long hard look.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Absolutely grim accident, wish him all the best and a speedy recovery. He's a terrific player, would be a great shame if he couldn't continue after this.

and while we're here, the decision to allow Luiz to continue in the game was absolutely ridiculous. Whoever decides the concussion protocols needs to take a long hard look.

But isn't it strange that we have blood protocols, shirt changing etc but it doesn't matter how much spit and snot is flying around even in COVID times.

And before we hear the old 'professional athletes generate extra' b*ll*cks, I have seen subs spit on the sidelines and even managers and coaches spit. It is a disgusting habit and the game could change if it wanted to or had to.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
But isn't it strange that we have blood protocols, shirt changing etc but it doesn't matter how much spit and snot is flying around even in COVID times.

And before we hear the old 'professional athletes generate extra' b*ll*cks, I have seen subs spit on the sidelines and even managers and coaches spit. It is a disgusting habit and the game could change if it wanted to or had to.

Yes. And all that breathing! How dare they!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

When I played, my nose used to run and it was a horrible feeling. Struggling to breathe, having to breathe through the mouth which dries you out. So I'd have to regularly clear my nose... obviously onto the grass and not on other players!

Subs, managers etc there is zero excuse. They have time to use a tissue if they must expel anything

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

Perhaps, but imo, as cringey as it sounds, stuff like that is probably somewhat embedded in the culture of the game/the mindset of the players (which doesn't make it ok) and would probably take a while to get rid of. I guess you'd have to enforce it via fines as opposed to action on the pitch (imagine VAR looking to see if a player had spat). The concussion thing could be solved simply by allowing concussion subs, an idea to which I can see no reasonable downside.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

As mentioned on MOTD2 the fact that we are so far behind cricket and rugby in things like concussion subs is pretty shocking.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
As mentioned on MOTD2 the fact that we are so far behind cricket and rugby in things like concussion subs is pretty shocking.

Another example of Football / PL arrogance.

It is slightly tricky to determine how you manage it. If we are to allow 'concussion subs' for any head injury you can be sure it will be open to abuse / cheating. And then how can you really tell if a player has concussion or not in 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes or whatever? David Luiz felt fine, passed the concussion protocol, came back on, but said he was uncomfortable heading the ball.

Difficult one

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Well done for calling this out. No biological need for this. Use video evidence to find it happening. Way more a 1 match ban than what Lamptey did.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

It is slightly tricky to determine how you manage it. If we are to allow 'concussion subs' for any head injury you can be sure it will be open to abuse / cheating. And then how can you really tell if a player has concussion or not in 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes or whatever? David Luiz felt fine, passed the concussion protocol, came back on, but said he was uncomfortable heading the ball.

Difficult one

I think the blood seeping through the bandage was enough.

As for the abuse... well this is a wider problem within football in terms of gamesmanship. Especially compared to rugby and cricket - sports where respect runs through the games.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Perhaps, but imo, as cringey as it sounds, stuff like that is probably somewhat embedded in the culture of the game/the mindset of the players (which doesn't make it ok) and would probably take a while to get rid of. .

Its also embedded in the human physiology. I've not seen a survey, but I guess most players enjoy breathing and to do that adequately they need to get rid of the thick saliva the body produce when doing intensive exercise.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Its also embedded in the human physiology. I've not seen a survey, but I guess most players enjoy breathing and to do that adequately they need to get rid of the thick saliva the body produce when doing intensive exercise.

From experience I do agree - but I never see basketball players spit on the court.

When I played at school I wore shorts with pockets because I had to use a tissue to blow my nose every time play stopped.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would Jiminez be able to return to playing if he was wearing a headguard as Petr Cech did after suffering a depressed skull facture?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Difficult one

It's the same with the other sports though, but they are more stop/start so easier to pick up on. If they get a clear hit to the head they get assesed, might make VAR worthwhile and give them something to do the rest of the time. And if someone abuses it, a massive ban and fine.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Out of interest, what other sports allow it? Cricket? (those bowlers run fast) long distance track events? Rugby?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
From experience I do agree - but I never see basketball players spit on the court.

When I played at school I wore shorts with pockets because I had to use a tissue to blow my nose every time play stopped.

I dont think its allowed in any indoor sport as it would get really dangerous really quick with a slippery floor. But they are not breathing cold air (definitely plays a part, just watch the NHL - they do nothing but spit) and they have more breaks (quarters and subs, the average basketball player plays what, 20 minutes? per game) where they can take care of their needs.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I dont think its allowed in any indoor sport as it would get really dangerous really quick with a slippery floor. But they are not breathing cold air (definitely plays a part, just watch the NHL - they do nothing but spit) and they have more breaks (quarters and subs, the average basketball player plays what, 20 minutes? per game) where they can take care of their needs.

I watch a lot of NHL live and on TV and agree. They are also incredibly foul mouthed. I have access to a front row seat at the Canucks and their language at times puts footballers to shame.
You get a lot of stick on here, I'm wondering why.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here