Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan - best 1 vs 1 keeper in the Premier League (Goalkeeping Podcast)

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Albion Analytics, who you may have seen writing up the match previews on the club website of late, talk to goalkeeper analyst John Harrison about goalkeeping myths, techniques, penalty saving and everything in between. I was fortunate enough to host the discussion, and naturally we chatted a lot about Maty Ryan. John pointed out that over the whole 19/20 season, Ryan had a 1-on-1 success rate of 70% (!!), Guaita for Palace with just a 36% success rate, the third worst in the league.

Please do have a listen, I think many will really enjoy the insight - I know I did.

https://twitter.com/albionanalytics/status/1333336912615137280?s=21

Furthermore, if anyone has any suggestions or requests for future episodes, we’d love to hear them. UTA :albion2:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He’s a good shot stopper . Think he was unsighted by dunk diving in for the Liverpool goal . Needs to command his box better on crosses . That’s his area to improve but all round good goalie

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
He’s a good shot stopper . Think he was unsighted by White diving in for the Liverpool goal . Needs to command his box better on crosses . That’s his area to improve but all round good goalie

Corrected for you.

The ball bobbled over White's leg and past Ryan.
More than a bit unlucky with that one.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He's a Dunk/Duffy keeper.
Not a 'what are they all doing up there' keeper.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Corrected for you.

The ball bobbled over White's leg and past Ryan.
More than a bit unlucky with that one.

I'm not sure you'd say no keeper in the world would have kept it out though.

Anything that "bobbles" in, isn't going to escape scrutiny whatever defenders are around

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The way I see it (and I know there are a few similar threads now) Maty has the following goalkeeping top trumps credentials

Reliability 9/10. Hugely important and his biggest asset. You won't see the importance of reliability until you have a goalie who can't handle a bouncing shot or comes 15 yards and misses a cross.
Footwork 7/10. Far from Ederson, but competent with his feet and has not let us down under GP despite being asked to play some high risk passes
Crosses 3/10. Not great, but then he knows his limitations and lets his defence clear the crosses
Wondersaves 5/10. Does make them occasionally, but we need more. We need penalty saves sometimes and genuine Man of the Match performances. It's been a while
Aura 4 /10 Indefinable, but you know it when you see it. Alison's aura probably contributed to Maupays miss. I never fancy us sticking a penalty past Kasper Schmichel, because he looks like he'll save it. His dad had it and hardly conceded from 1 on 1's
Dedication 9/10. Looks completely committed, concentrated 100% and free of ego. Again, you notice this much more when you don't have it.

A real mixed bag. Good enough for the Premier League. I think so. Good enough to get us top half? I'm less sure. In fact if you conducted an exercise whereby you lined up the 20 first choice premier league keepers and asked neutrals to rank them, he may finish bottom.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Albion Analytics, who you may have seen writing up the match previews on the club website of late, talk to goalkeeper analyst John Harrison about goalkeeping myths, techniques, penalty saving and everything in between. I was fortunate enough to host the discussion, and naturally we chatted a lot about Maty Ryan. John pointed out that over the whole 19/20 season, Ryan had a 1-on-1 success rate of 70% (!!), Guaita for Palace with just a 36% success rate, the third worst in the league.

Please do have a listen, I think many will really enjoy the insight - I know I did.

https://twitter.com/albionanalytics/status/1333336912615137280?s=21

Furthermore, if anyone has any suggestions or requests for future episodes, we’d love to hear them. UTA :albion2:

Hmmmm, that is a very misleading stat.

This season is all that matters and Matt has faced 24 shots on target and saved just 13.

Guaita has faced 43 and saved 30.

I know who I'd rather have in goal and he ain't aussie.

GK is our weakest position and needs sorting.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
The way I see it (and I know there are a few similar threads now) Maty has the following goalkeeping top trumps credentials

Reliability 9/10. Hugely important and his biggest asset. You won't see the importance of reliability until you have a goalie who can't handle a bouncing shot or comes 15 yards and misses a cross.
Footwork 7/10. Far from Ederson, but competent with his feet and has not let us down under GP despite being asked to play some high risk passes
Crosses 3/10. Not great, but then he knows his limitations and lets his defence clear the crosses
Wondersaves 5/10. Does make them occasionally, but we need more. We need penalty saves sometimes and genuine Man of the Match performances. It's been a while
Aura 4 /10 Indefinable, but you know it when you see it. Alison's aura probably contributed to Maupays miss. I never fancy us sticking a penalty past Kasper Schmichel, because he looks like he'll save it. His dad had it and hardly conceded from 1 on 1's
Dedication 9/10. Looks completely committed, concentrated 100% and free of ego. Again, you notice this much more when you don't have it.

A real mixed bag. Good enough for the Premier League. I think so. Good enough to get us top half? I'm less sure. In fact if you conducted an exercise whereby you lined up the 20 first choice premier league keepers and asked neutrals to rank them, he may finish bottom.

A more than fair assessment I’d say

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Hmmmm, that is a very misleading stat.

This season is all that matters and Matt has faced 24 shots on target and saved just 13.

Guaita has faced 43 and saved 30.

I know who I'd rather have in goal and he ain't aussie.

GK is our weakest position and needs sorting.

I don't think it's quite that drastic, or clear cut. He doesn't command his box, and the way we currently play demands a more dominant keeper IMO.

MR peaked maybe 2 years ago, some of our players and the team as a whole have progressed since, I don't think he has.

albionfan37

Aug 14, 2014
What’s it called? Cumbernauld
It’s a shame as I do like maty but it’s definitely our weakest position and it’s only fractions really but his inability to command the box is beginning to tell and now his shot stoping this season is letting him down it’s bringing the rest into sharper focus

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not sure you'd say no keeper in the world would have kept it out though.

Anything that "bobbles" in, isn't going to escape scrutiny whatever defenders are around

I meant the bobble prevented White from blocking it.
No idea wheteh Maty would hav e saved it without the dive in front of him, but it was a contributing factor into why he didn't.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Blimey, that is random, and totally subjective.

And as for the bit I've emboldened, I don't want him anywhere near a Man of the Match performance. It usually means the players in front of him have let him down.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here