Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate and Molumby

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's disappointing that Alzate and Molumby haven't had more game time. Molumby asked for game time either in the first team or another loan and we haven't given him either, I can't imagine he'll be too thrilled at that. I would think at the very least a loan move will be on the cards, but I could see him leaving permanently in January or the summer.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Potter can only pick 11 players, some have to miss out. He has been incredibly brave with his selections, dropping established players with strong pedigrees (Barcelona regular Montoya, Dutch international Pröpper, et al) if they aren't performing.

If he picks Alzate, who does he drop? Bissouma has been a key player and one of our best this season. Groß? Been outstanding the last few games and has fought his way into the team.

You can't pick them all and fans on forums will always debate why XYZ player doesn't get a game. Right now it's Alzate, but if he plays a few and we don't win, there will be an identical forum asking why Groß was dropped when he's statistically our most creative player.

Football fans have very selective short-term memories. We are passionate and entitled.

My view on Alzate? Decent prospect, been eased into being a top level footballer. A player whose only prior league football experience was with Leyton Orient in League 2, who has been thrown as a young man into the best league in the world. Very much part of the squad. Full of promise and prone to mistakes which people forget about.

Tires into the game, has made two mistakes which led directly to goals.

He's where he should be, fighting for a place in a team in the top English league.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure why you are obsessed with the idea that once you've had a good season in the Championship, you would get nothing out of playing there again.
Not obsessed, so please don't exaggerate. :)
I'm sure he enjoyed his year at 'Wall, just as Ben White did at Leeds, so in one respect he might enjoy repeating the experience. But career wise, it would seem like stagnation, like completing an apprenticeship successfully and then being told to do it again. Certainly it wouldn't seem like progress - just ask Matt Clarke.
Of course they will need some patience - but patience is a finite quality. If no/hardly any game time this season I can see transfer requests coming in in the summer.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
My take continues to be that something is wrong with Alzate. I remember last season when he suddenly disappeared and only featured sparingly and it turned out he was carrying some injury niggle pretty much from October onwards that they were hoping would self-heal but in the end required surgery. With his massive injury history, I wouldnt be surprised if its something similar this time around. Cant be sure of course, but I think something is up.

I've been thinking the same.

However if so, why include him in the march day squad every game?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Potter can only pick 11 players, some have to miss out. He has been incredibly brave with his selections, dropping established players with strong pedigrees (Barcelona regular Montoya, Dutch international Pröpper, et al) if they aren't performing.

If he picks Alzate, who does he drop? Bissouma has been a key player and one of our best this season. Groß? Been outstanding the last few games and has fought his way into the team.

You can't pick them all and fans on forums will always debate why XYZ player doesn't get a game. Right now it's Alzate, but if he plays a few and we don't win, there will be an identical forum asking why Groß was dropped when he's statistically our most creative player.

Football fans have very selective short-term memories. We are passionate and entitled.

My view on Alzate? Decent prospect, been eased into being a top level footballer. A player whose only prior league football experience was with Leyton Orient in League 2, who has been thrown as a young man into the best league in the world. Very much part of the squad. Full of promise and prone to mistakes which people forget about.

Tires into the game, has made two mistakes which led directly to goals.

He's where he should be, fighting for a place in a team in the top English league.

This - never mind Alzate. MacAllister hasn't even made squad for last 2 (or is he injured?).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
My take continues to be that something is wrong with Alzate. I remember last season when he suddenly disappeared and only featured sparingly and it turned out he was carrying some injury niggle pretty much from October onwards that they were hoping would self-heal but in the end required surgery. With his massive injury history, I wouldnt be surprised if its something similar this time around. Cant be sure of course, but I think something is up.

Totally agree. Alzate has been sensational for Potter, no way he’s been dropped and never even coming on as sub. I too think there’s an injury.

But why put him on the bench if he’s never going to come on? That’s what I don’t get.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My view on Alzate? Decent prospect, been eased into being a top level footballer. A player whose only prior league football experience was with Leyton Orient in League 2, who has been thrown as a young man into the best league in the world.
We'll just discount his very successful loan at Swindon then shall we?

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
No doubt frustrating for Alzate, Molumby etc, but being part of a Premier League team's squad not too shabby for such young players - if they train well I'm sure their opportunities will arise over the course of the season - injuries, suspensions, cup matches... Delighted we have real depth to the squad,blending promising prospects and experienced players.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
No doubt frustrating for Alzate, Molumby etc, but being part of a Premier League team's squad not too shabby for such young players - if they train well I'm sure their opportunities will arise over the course of the season - injuries, suspensions, cup matches... Delighted we have real depth to the squad,blending promising prospects and experienced players.
The Southampton starting 11 contains 8 fringe players who have played at least once in the PL, so they're in good company...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I hope the phantom injury the regularly on the bench for first team games Alzate is suffering from won't be aggravated by playing a match.

It's a very strong line up across the board in many respects, but I am surprised there's no Zeqiri.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Don’t forget Max Saunders is not too shabby either. With Moder to come in not sure how they will all fit in. Hope we don’t sell one or two only for them to become established premier league players elsewhere like Steve Cook

SimpKingpin

See the match?
Aug 8, 2020
Worthing -> NYC
I was surprised to see this line up. So strong compared to U23 games I've seen this season.

But where is Zeqiri? Did we promise his Dad he'd only play in the senior team...and now he's not playing at all?

EDIT: I assumed this thread was about today's U23 team. Didn't see the first post.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Don’t forget Max Saunders is not too shabby either. With Moder to come in not sure how they will all fit in. Hope we don’t sell one or two only for them to become established premier league players elsewhere like Steve Cook

There’s a very good chance that may well happen though, you can’t keep everyone. It’s up to the club to make sure we keep the players who will be best for us in the long term.

The Cook example is a good one, yes he did very well for Bournemouth but we haven’t struggled for decent centre backs in that time either have we? At the time he wasn’t close to be being first choice so had to move on for his own career.
It worked out well all round.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Alzate was first choice at start of season. Still think he should be starting most games personally. So good on the ball.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here