Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dick Emery documentary on Channel 5

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Highly recommend it, and is available on Ch 5 catch up.

Obviously for NSC'ers of a certain age but the man IMHO was a comedy genius, but clearly of his time, I wonder what the PC Police would make of some of his characters now?

Was a long time support act for both Hancock and the Goons and stardom came relatively late for him, he was 48, but he had 12 series on prime time BBC often attracting over 15 million viewers and was the influence for the likes of Harry Enfield and the Little Britain team.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Obviously for NSC'ers of a certain age but the man IMHO was a comedy genius, but clearly of his time, I wonder what the PC Police would make of some of his characters now?

Was a long time support act for both Hancock and the Goons and stardom came relatively late for him, he was 48, but he had 12 series on prime time BBC often attracting over 15 million viewers and was the influence for the likes of Harry Enfield and the Little Britain team.

Once I started watching it, I couldn't stop. Fascinating stuff, particularly when he stepped in for Secombe in the Goons and their short film. He was a perfect fit. I wouldn't say I was a fan when he was prime time viewing, but he was certainly popular and talented. I had to laugh that Channel 5 felt it's 90's and millennial viewers needed a warning about a bit of bum and boobs seaside humour bearing in mind the content of modern day stand up material and music videos/lyrics.
Sad that he felt he had to perform himself to death, going from a performance in Eastbourne, straight to a 17 day hospital stay and leaving this earth.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
The Christmas special 'The Texas Connection' from about 1977 was one of the funniest things ever on tv. Full of puerile humour and double entendres.

I can remember sitting watching it with my parents who'd had a little liquid Christmas cheer and us all pissing ourselves laughing.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
I was never his greatest fan, but he was certainly watchable.

In terms of the PC police, I don’t think he is as potentially offensive as plenty of others, or maybe I’m misremembering. The Hello Honky-Tonk stuff might be a bit dodgy, but the innuendo was never over the top. The “stereotyping” might do it.

But what really gets me is listening to Round the Horne and the like from the 1960s - particularly Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick with the “I’m Julian and this is my friend Sandy” sketches. Pure filth but hilarious, most of which went straight over my head as a kid.

I was never his greatest fan, but he was certainly watchable.

In terms of the PC police, I don’t think he is as potentially offensive as plenty of others, or maybe I’m misremembering. The Hello Honky-Tonk stuff might be a bit dodgy, but the innuendo was never over the top. The “stereotyping” might do it.

But what really gets me is listening to Round the Horne and the like from the 1960s - particularly Kenneth Williams and Hugh Paddick with the “I’m Julian and this is my friend Sandy” sketches. Pure filth but hilarious, most of which went straight over my head as a kid.

Anyone old enough to remember the "Angus Prune Tune" and "....what is that terrifying hideous beast emerging from the slime filled swamp (difference variation each week) ...its.....". Remember listening on a "trannie" (oooer missus) at the back of the mobile classrooms during lunch break.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Loved the skinhead character with Roy Kinnear as his dad.

I'm quite sure that the PC police today would assert that the toothy vicar was offensive to those with less than perfect gnashers

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010

Oh you are awful but I like you

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
The film that he starred in "oooh you are awful" which was to make him, but never did - the idea of finding safe deposit box numbers that are tattooed on female bottoms - well could you imagine that in todays world?

i darent even talk about the film at work

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Loved the skinhead character with Roy Kinnear as his dad.

I'm quite sure that the PC police today would assert that the toothy vicar was offensive to those with less than perfect gnashers

The ironic thing was that Roy Kinnear was 20 years younger than Emery.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Bloody imaginary PC Police turning up again making up imaginary slurs against someone who died 40 years ago.

Is that the same people who didn't remove Jim Davidson's contribution to Chas and Dave annually repeated 1982 Xmas Knees up?

Or the continuity announcer who didn't apologise at the start of every segment of the Emery programme last night?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Every day's a school day. I have just learned that Jim Davidson did a version of White Christmas as Chalky. Can't imagine why that bit was pulled.

As for the programme last night, which I admittedly didn't watch - was anything censored from it? If not, then we know what actions the PC Police would take; basically nothing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dick Emery was car-crash 'comedy' back when he was considered prime-time in a country with only two, or maybe three, TV channels. File alongside Lenny Henry, Kenny Everett and Stanley Baxter. Deeply unfunny funnymen. Where's me washboard?

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
I enjoyed it then as a younger feller and still it's funny now. Not everything hits the mark but it's not supposed to be overanalysed.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Dick Emery was car-crash 'comedy' back when he was considered prime-time in a country with only two, or maybe three, TV channels. File alongside Lenny Henry, Kenny Everett and Stanley Baxter. Deeply unfunny funnymen. Where's me washboard?

I saw Lenny Henry performing stand up. He was actually very funny. Completely different from his sanitised TV performances.

Brilliant at destroying hecklers too!

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Again lucky in this area know Vicky 4th wife) quite well (taxi) lives kirdford close to wisborough green loverly lady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Every day's a school day. I have just learned that Jim Davidson did a version of White Christmas as Chalky. Can't imagine why that bit was pulled.

As for the programme last night, which I admittedly didn't watch - was anything censored from it? If not, then we know what actions the PC Police would take; basically nothing.

No the PC Police apologised at the start of every section of the programme, but why do they feel it necessary to apologise?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here