Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cold weather car starting

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Why did you need to, is Mouldy your mechanic?
I asked the AA guy to stick a new battery in a while back but he said theres nothing wrong with it, I do very short journeys in the car which seems to be the problem..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I asked the AA guy to stick a new battery in a while back but he said theres nothing wrong with it, I do very short journeys in the car which seems to be the problem..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

He didn't want to put his back out.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Looking at it another way, old cars were good ( well some of them) but to keep them in tip top condition they needed constant maintenance, or they would let you down. Until about 2003 I used a MK2 and a MK1 Cortina as every day transport from Shoreham to Creep and back every day, once a month you'd spend a day servicing them and fixing things.

I can rely on my old MK1 now, but all of the running gear is brand new and uprated . . . . its still a tiresome car to drive in the darkness of mid winter, we've all got used to creature comforts.

I had a Mk 4 & a Mk 5 and the auto choke on the Mk 5 was a game changer

D

Deleted member 2719

Frankly, NO!

Kick-start motor bikes could be bloody painful too!

I had a couple of singles 500 back in the 80s, one used to periodically kick back like a mule. I still have a couple kickstart 500's but I have them starting first kick fortunately!
If you get a chance you need to get one, modern bike riders appreciate the difference even if they can probably go nearly double my top speed!
Maybe a 2021 goal.:)

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
It's a diesel. I've not covered myself in glory there have I! (I've just googled it)

There is no way i'd look to replace the battery myself. I'm still not convinced its the battery though. It's not old, turns over quickly until it's near drained. It's as if the engine is cold/damp and just needs more time to warm up. Unfortunately that's about 1 minute more than the battery lasts. Jumping it always gets there quite quickly after the battery has gone.

Depending on the age of the car are you letting the glow plugs pre heat (curly orange light goes off when they’re heated)

Damp weather shouldn’t affect starting on diesel as there’s no spark.

Was it parked up for a long time over lockdown? After the 1st lockdown we were selling winter levels of batteries because so many cars were parked up for weeks/months without being started.

Any decent garage will do a battery health check of some sort that will also check your alternator as part of the test.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I had a Mk 4 & a Mk 5 and the auto choke on the Mk 5 was a game changer

Correct, they were utter gash.

Weber made and sold lots of manual choke conversion kits.

I don't suppose many reps had that option, and I'm not aware anyone voluntarily bought Cortinas after the MK2.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Depending on the age of the car are you letting the glow plugs pre heat (curly orange light goes off when they’re heated)

Damp weather shouldn’t affect starting on diesel as there’s no spark.

Was it parked up for a long time over lockdown? After the 1st lockdown we were selling winter levels of batteries because so many cars were parked up for weeks/months without being started.

Any decent garage will do a battery health check of some sort that will also check your alternator as part of the test.

Interesting point here. I think that the glow plug coil light is not coming on when the key goes in and the dash lights, but only when I push the ignition button. Have asked wife to take my car this morning so I can check this and, once started, take it out for an hour+ drive.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Interesting point here. I think that the glow plug coil light is not coming on when the key goes in and the dash lights, but only when I push the ignition button. Have asked wife to take my car this morning so I can check this and, once started, take it out for an hour+ drive.

What car is it?

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Can try turning the ignition on, letting all of the lights go out, turning off then back on again and start

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Can try turning the ignition on, letting all of the lights go out, turning off then back on again and start

OK will do. Dash lights turn on is by key insertion into the 'slot' . assume you mean after doing this not pressing the button to start?

Will need to wait until for another day now. Thanks for helping (or trying too). Same goes to others who have contributed to thread.:thumbsup:

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
OK will do. Dash lights turn on is by key insertion into the 'slot' . assume you mean after doing this not pressing the button to start?

Will need to wait until for another day now. Thanks for helping (or trying too). Same goes to others who have contributed to thread.:thumbsup:

That’s it [emoji1303]

If you do need a battery let me know I sell them

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Correct, they were utter gash.

Weber made and sold lots of manual choke conversion kits.

I don't suppose many reps had that option, and I'm not aware anyone voluntarily bought Cortinas after the MK2.

Ah Webber carbs and distributor caps and points. As a non mechanical person the setting up of these to keep them running properly accounted for most of my non starting woes in my MGB and Alfa Spider. I had forgotten just how temperamental they were until your post reminded me. Many hours of standing with an open bonnet in the cold and rain...swearing.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
There’s really not a lot between them in all honesty, Yuasa 5000 series are same quality as Bosch S5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here