Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Cold weather car starting

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Takes me back to when I was a young lad and my first car a Ford Fiesta - number plate C211 VLP - dunno how I remember that!

Sometimes had trouble starting in the cold and I used that stuff that you spray into to air intake. Anyway I must have overdone it one time because it started and I got around 300 yards from home and the car stopped. Tried starting it a few times, thought I could smell burning and then saw the smoke coming drifting around in the footwell.
Got out of the car and could see that it was indeed on fire under the bonnet. Didn't lift the bonnet so avoided any singed eyebrows.

Quite interesting after that.

Somebody called the fire brigade, no mobiles back then.
A little old lady came out with a pan of water big enough to boil a couple of eggs in. I politely declined as the fire probably needed a bit more at that point.
Different lights came on as it burned. Brake lights lit up at one point and then went out and one of the indicators came on as a solid light and then disappeared.
Fire brigade turned up, smashed some windows, very impressive. Sprayed water everywhere.
Fireman in charge told me it was a most impressive fire as it had burnt the tread off of a couple of tires. Also advised me to take the tax disk out of the car as it seemed the registration number didn't seem to match that on the car. He was worried that the police might misunderstand and get the wrong impression if they showed up.

Had better days, but it was an interesting experience.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You would rather throw unfounded slanderous remarks on people you don't even know.

If I were you, I would never trust your gut, as it will let you down, like poor robs motor.

Go sue me then if I've committed slander (you needed a comma there btw). Easy enough to find my identity. Oh no, you're taking complete rubbish as per.

If I have an issue with my car then I take it to the VW garage and they fix it for free.

I was merely pointing out that your advice about everything is generally about as wrong as you can possibly get. So I'd not take it with regard to cars.

So basically just doing someone a favour.

You could always just shut up and then you wouldn't have to get so angry about people disagreeing with the nonsense that you write on the internet. Just a thought?!

[emoji23]

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
handbags.jpg

Oops, wrong thread . . . . or is it. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 2719

Go sue me then if I've committed slander (you needed a comma there btw). Easy enough to find my identity. Oh no, you're taking complete rubbish as per.

If I have an issue with my car then I take it to the VW garage and they fix it for free.

I was merely pointing out that your advice about everything is generally about as wrong as you can possibly get. So I'd not take it with regard to cars.

So basically just doing someone a favour.

You could always just shut up and then you wouldn't have to get so angry about people disagreeing with the nonsense that you write on the internet. Just a thought?!

[emoji23]

You have missed a L out there, if you want to criticise me on things at least get your own house in order.

I know what you were pointing out and some may say your right. But the problem you have is you have underestimated me, common mistake. You see a person who is pro-brexit and backed the tories at the last election and assume they are racist.

Follow the logic there, yep there is none, just your hatred for tory or brexiteers clouding you judgement.

If by any means I was perceived as a racist by a member of this forum because of your uncontrolled comments, then I may just take up that request.

Unbelievably the mods didn't see that fit for a ban have you some buddies amongst the ranks?

In the meantime stop stalking me, you sad man.

You can join the 6 on my Harry button, the newly formed 'secret 7', how sweet. I don't have a problem with debate just un called for insulting abuse.

I must admit the Harry button has saved me hours of post as the 'secret 7' all gather on the same threads.

:bigwave:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
You have missed a L out there, if you want to criticise me on things at least get your own house in order.

I know what you were pointing out and some may say your right. But the problem you have is you have underestimated me, common mistake. You see a person who is pro-brexit and backed the tories at the last election and assume they are racist.

Follow the logic there, yep there is none, just your hatred for tory or brexiteers clouding you judgement.

If by any means I was perceived as a racist by a member of this forum because of your uncontrolled comments, then I may just take up that request.

Unbelievably the mods didn't see that fit for a ban have you some buddies amongst the ranks?

In the meantime stop stalking me, you sad man.

You can join the 6 on my Harry button, the newly formed 'secret 7', how sweet. I don't have a problem with debate just un called for insulting abuse.

I must admit the Harry button has saved me hours of post as the 'secret 7' all gather on the same threads.

:bigwave:

Oh wow. Have you been crying to the teacher about me being nasty to you?

I don't know any of the moderators on the forum. I think they've probably just read your posts and realised that I've not been in any way insulting or incorrect when conversing with you.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, you're probably just incredibly stupid and not incredibly stupid and a horrible racist. Who knows?! Hard to tell when the thickness runs so deep......

I'll stop, you're already dead. But as a final point (pulling me up on an auto correct typo) do you not have the tiniest bit of self awareness when your command of the English language is absolutely terrible? Like a 5 year old. It's quite amazing.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My first car was a MKII Cortina. Would cut out every time I went thru a big puddle and had to wait a few minutes for it to dry out before I could start it again.

Never bothered to find out why, I just knew it did it so didn't drive thru puddles fast and if I did, I'd just wait at the side of the road until it'd start again.

Oh the good old days..... Funny looking back at it now

Ps: car would be worth a fortune now
Yes, the good old days - plenty if nostalgia (but not in a good way!) on here for me. For the first 25 of my car owning years, every car or van I ever had (all second hand) was a nightmare on cold mornings. Some of them even needed some hefty exercise on the starting handle (for the juniors on here, that was a lever you pushed into the front of the car to turn the engine over by hand - yes, really!) From about the mid 90s, the problem just stopped happening - I assumed that cars were just better designed. They certainly last longer and do much higher mileages!

Mortdecai

Aug 6, 2009
Kirkkonummi, Finland
My missus left for work one morning and litterally drove about a mile and a half before driving back home complaining that there seemed to be a problem with the engine. It was making a peculiar noise. So I took a look.....

43d4277be4ff720758a0f245a30c2669.jpg

It amazes me that she couldn’t feel the balance of the car being way off.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Yes, the good old days - plenty if nostalgia (but not in a good way!) on here for me. For the first 25 of my car owning years, every car or van I ever had (all second hand) was a nightmare on cold mornings. Some of them even needed some hefty exercise on the starting handle (for the juniors on here, that was a lever you pushed into the front of the car to turn the engine over by hand - yes, really!) From about the mid 90s, the problem just stopped happening - I assumed that cars were just better designed. They certainly last longer and do much higher mileages!

Looking at it another way, old cars were good ( well some of them) but to keep them in tip top condition they needed constant maintenance, or they would let you down. Until about 2003 I used a MK2 and a MK1 Cortina as every day transport from Shoreham to Creep and back every day, once a month you'd spend a day servicing them and fixing things.

I can rely on my old MK1 now, but all of the running gear is brand new and uprated . . . . its still a tiresome car to drive in the darkness of mid winter, we've all got used to creature comforts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

reckon automatic chokes and fuel injection becoming common, much better at handling the cold.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Never actually had a car with a starter handle, that is proper old school! I do remember parking my cars on a hill so that when they didn’t start, I could bump start them. It was a lottery every cold and wet day. I lost count of the number of complete passing strangers that I asked to push me! A surprising number claimed bad backs :lolol:

I once got a few Stoke fans at the Victoria Ground to push start me after an evening game up there. Could have been Gerry Ryan’s debut. I was sad enough to have gone up there on my own in an unreliable car. We drew 1-1 and they were very helpful guys, not the Neanderthals they have the reputation of being these days :smile:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Misses bought me this for my birthday 2 weeks ago, already used it 5 times!Screenshot_20201130-174728_Chrome.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Looking at the title thread I thought, Oh yes, I remember that. :whistle:

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
with the symptoms you describe it's most likely a heater plug problem.
Best to get it in a garage. Unfortunately.
It may start on a warmer day.
Or get the AA on the case

D

Deleted member 2719

Starting handles could be fun, couldn't they! My father had one on one of our mowers, it was essential you didn't flood the carb, or you could have a very sore arm/shoulder trying to get it started. I remember once cranking it over leaning forward, and I slipped it out as it fired up with the handle still rotating to get the heavy metal socket straight in the teeth.
It never happened again!
Same with single cylinder motorbikes, bruised or broken bones just starting them, until you got them dialled in.
The push-button start cars and bikes have come along way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here