Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 players from Academy v Liverpool

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Its a great achievement.

When I was studying to get my UEFA B diploma in Sandviken some eight years ago, we had a visit from the Ajax Scandinavian head scout (brain freeze on the name but a Danish guy) and he talked about realistic targets when it comes to bringing up youth players.

He said that when the Eredivisie is a top 10 league in Europe, they have a target of establishing two youth players in their senior squad. During the times when it is a top 15 league, the target is three. In a top 5 league he said that any team able to produce more than one player reaching the first team squad over the course of a season is a proof of excellent youth coaching.

He also said that it requires that the club have a manager with the balls to give the young players the chance. If not, the academy will deteriorate as the young players stop believing in the existence of a path to the senior squad. Every time a young player gets their debut, it doesnt need to be in the most important game or as a starter, it boosts the academy.

He then showed numbers to back up his point. Any time a new player from the academy got a chance in the first team, all of the youth teams results improved over the next month. Giving the debut to a signing did not have the same impact.

I think the academy project is really interesting. British managers - with a few exceptions like Ferguson - in the past, were known to be fairly reluctant to giving young players a chance and clubs were very slow to invest in youth training compared to pretty much everyone else (though things finally started to change some ten years ago).

Its great seeing Brighton in a top position to turn into this excellent choice for talented youth players because if you want a club to establish itself as a top division club, its almost a requirement to have a good academy, One big sell every ten years (nowadays) is usually enough to pretty much fund it by itself and its a lot more consistency to it than having to make a lot of signings.

I hope and believe that Brighton within five years got ten players who came through the youth academy registered in the Europa League squad.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Its a great achievement.

When I was studying to get my UEFA B diploma in Sandviken some eight years ago, we had a visit from the Ajax Scandinavian head scout (brain freeze on the name but a Danish guy) and he talked about realistic targets when it comes to bringing up youth players.

He said that when the Eredivisie is a top 10 league in Europe, they have a target of establishing two youth players in their senior squad. During the times when it is a top 15 league, the target is three. In a top 5 league he said that any team able to produce more than one player reaching the first team squad over the course of a season is a proof of excellent youth coaching.

He also said that it requires that the club have a manager with the balls to give the young players the chance. If not, the academy will deteriorate as the young players stop believing in the existence of a path to the senior squad. Every time a young player gets their debut, it doesnt need to be in the most important game or as a starter, it boosts the academy.

He then showed numbers to back up his point. Any time a new player from the academy got a chance in the first team, all of the youth teams results improved over the next month. Giving the debut to a signing did not have the same impact.

I think the academy project is really interesting. British managers - with a few exceptions like Ferguson - in the past, were known to be fairly reluctant to giving young players a chance and clubs were very slow to invest in youth training compared to pretty much everyone else (though things finally started to change some ten years ago).

Its great seeing Brighton in a top position to turn into this excellent choice for talented youth players because if you want a club to establish itself as a top division club, its almost a requirement to have a good academy, One big sell every ten years (nowadays) is usually enough to pretty much fund it by itself and its a lot more consistency to it than having to make a lot of signings.

I hope and believe that Brighton within five years got ten players who came through the youth academy registered in the Europa League squad.

Very interesting post, practically an article. Thanks for taking the trouble to put this on the board.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

great insight. thank you. for context - Potter in just over 2 years has already given premier league debuts to Molumby, Sanchez, White, Connolly and Alzate.
Cochrane has been in the PL 18. Sanders doesn't look far off.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd rather see Sanchez in the squad - can't understand why he's left out of the squad altogether after making his debut against Spurs.

He's better off in the U23s getting game time. A keeper in the match-day squad is unlikely to see any action, and if the sub keeper was needed, it's arguably better to have a seasoned pro come off the bench to make an unexpected appearance rather than a nervous youngster.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It’s fantastic and in part why Chris had to go. Combined they’d have had to have been part of 5,600 first team training sessions before he’d deem ONE of them worthy for a place as an unused sub in the match day 18.

Yes, and as [MENTION=1890]blue-shifted[/MENTION] has indicated, in the long term, it's going to save us a load of money.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He's better off in the U23s getting game time. A keeper in the match-day squad is unlikely to see any action, and if the sub keeper was needed, it's arguably better to have a seasoned pro come off the bench to make an unexpected appearance rather than a nervous youngster.
No reason he can't be involved in both. Besides, did he look nervous against Spurs?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
No reason he can't be involved in both. Besides, did he look nervous against Spurs?

For a keeper, maybe not. He looked fine against Spurs, but I was suggesting that there's a difference between knowing when you're starting a game, and going through all the physical and mental pre-match prep, and having to come off the bench to do a job in unexpected circumstances. When was the last time we used the sub keeper? Jan 2018 against Lincoln, wasn't it?

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018

This.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
and of course White would be Shitehouse if it wasn't for Biesla & Leeds.

I'm sure Bielsa being the coach played a part in the loan to Leeds and obviously he has helped make White a better player. Thats all part and parcel and one of the benefits of developing players through loans. - the experience they pick up of being coached by other managers.
But you have to have an academy, young players registered and ability to recruit/scout them in the first place for that to happen...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here