Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 6 players from Academy v Liverpool

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
We had 6 players via the Academy* in the match day squad on Saturday.
March, Dunk, Connolly, White with Alzate and Molumby on the bench.
Its possible that Walton might join them at some point this season.
How long ago did we have 6 or 7 out of 18 players out there from the development squad? What is the prem league average ?

*there might be pedants who argue that some of these players don't count. Fair enough its complicated - but effectively they all started with us as teenagers and we developed them through loans or playing in our u18s or u23s etc.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
How long ago did we have 6 or 7 out of 18 players out there from the development squad? What is the prem league average ?

*there might be pedants who argue that some of these players don't count. Fair enough its complicated - but effectively they all started with us as teenagers and we developed them through loans or playing in our u18s or u23s etc.

Almost certainly the last time we had this many you've come through the youth set up would have been when Wilkins was manager.

Three or four years ago there was the (no idea to what degree sarcastic or not) rumblings about the academy black hole. There's not a single Albion fan now who doesn't think it's a good idea.

In a couple of years I'm sure it will be self financing. The odd, £1m sale here and there bridging the gap between a mega sale every 2 or 3 years. In addition we'll be able to sell players, who didn't come through the academy because we've got players who did (so for example we might be able to sell Propper for £7m because we've got Molumby, Alzate and Sanders coming through)

But even more significantly more importantly is the money we will save not having to buy players. We days of us needing to spend £60 to £70m per summer on 5 players are gone. We can be more targeted now

You also get players you wouldn't otherwise get if they come through your ranks. So for example, if we tried to buy Ben White from another club at the moment we just wouldn't be able to no matter how much money we offered.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
In fairness to Leyton Orient they might suggest that they had a significant role in Alzate's development

Of course. But few premier league players that come through the ranks don't have loan spells - it goes without saying.
Connolly is a rare example - given he didn't play for Luton due to injuries.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Of course. But few premier league players that come through the ranks don't have loan spells - it goes without saying.
Connolly is a rare example - given he didn't play for Luton due to injuries.

I think we signed Alzate from Leyton Orient, he had already come through their youth system and appeared for their first team.

However, I did not mean to detract from the positive vibes on your thread, it is indeed a great accomplishment :thumbsup:

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Not speaking as a pedant, but I'd rather see Sanchez than Walton near the match day squad.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Can't think of many who match us in terms of first teamers from the youth setup..

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Alzate had played in the Football League for Orient hadn't he and was 18 when we signed him? The rest I would agree with

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I think we all thought Alzate and Molumbey would be next off the production line to be contenders for pitch time in the matchday squad. I wonder who will be the next two genuine contenders to start consecutive games.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
It’s fantastic and in part why Chris had to go. Combined they’d have had to have been part of 5,600 first team training sessions before he’d deem ONE of them worthy for a place as an unused sub in the match day 18.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
It’s fantastic and in part why Chris had to go. Combined they’d have had to have been part of 5,600 first team training sessions before he’d deem ONE of them worthy for a place as an unused sub in the match day 18.

Harsh. Very harsh.

But true. :blush:

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Not speaking as a pedant, but I'd rather see Sanchez than Walton near the match day squad.

Cannot really write off Walton yet; 25 years of age with 130 odd league appearances. If the bloke is not developing then move him on - but only the club will know this. But Sanchez is an impressive looking unit though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Cannot really write off Walton yet; 25 years of age with 130 odd league appearances. If the bloke is not developing then move him on - but only the club will know this. But Sanchez is an impressive looking unit though.

For me, I can't help but think with Walton that every time I've seen him play in the Championship he looked "OK" at best and at 25, I'd expect more. That said, I don't see him every day in training so I may be doing him a disservice. Sanchez on the other hand, actually excites me as a prospect.

In terms of players in the academy who may trouble the 1st team squad: Sanders seems to be working his way into the thinking. I've liked the look of Jenks, Gwargis and Weir on the hyper rare occasion I've seen anything of them and Ella looks like a serious unit.

There's also those "youngsters" Crofts and Izquierdo...

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Amuses me how Hughton always gets criticism for not using youth players. He didn't use them, but how many of the current crop were genuinely ready for Premier League football?

Almost all the players have done stints on loan before entering the first team fold. That's the development plan and it seems to be working quite nicely under Potter.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

25 is nothing for a goalkeeper.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Alzate had played in the Football League for Orient hadn't he and was 18 when we signed him? The rest I would agree with
Perfectly reasonable to include him - when we bought him he spent a year in the development squad, and then a year on loan at Swindon. Excluding him would only be justified if he'd gone straight into our first team when we bought him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here