Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Handbags'

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seems reasonable to me. Using an outdated and sexist phrase when plenty of others would do is not really on is it.

0C86ECBC-65D3-43E6-BAD5-54EB7EA1D1CE.jpeg

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
The Sun is not telling the whole truth as usual. I don't believe anything they write.

Here is a more detailed report

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/lincoln-city-football-steve-thompson-4746612

'The BBC said that Steve had previously been warned about his language prior to the game, adding that it was not the first time comments from Steve had provoked listener complaints.

Thompson will not be used by the BBC again until 2021, but as a freelancer cannot be suspended, the BBC have confirmed.

A spokesperson for the BBC said: "Steve made three separate comments while on air that he accepts didn’t meet the standards our listeners expect.

"He has volunteered to undertake training led by the football authorities" '

Reading that report suggests that while he made what were in isolation fairly tame comments, his overall tone and attitude is outdated and sexist. So I wouldn't have much sympathy for him. But I never have listened to Radio Lincolnshire, so I don't really know.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Typical BBC with their PC crap , the sooner this organisation is made to support itself the better , then hopefully can disappear for good

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Try and stop being the village idiot - how is 'handbags' sexist ?

I guess it’s because of its female connection and a suggestion that women are weaker? Having been the victim of sustained and quite vicious “handbag” abuse myself, I do feel some empathy with this topic. I have also had my man-purse targeted in a similar way. I can handle this, but less butch men might not.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
In one of the reports it does say ‘At one point he also said: "[he's] being a bit of a drama queen….. he’d have been better wearing a skirt."’
I think it’s the overall tone, repeated use of such phrases and his history of using sexist language. But that’s much more boring than “sacked for saying handbags!”

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Its bollocks

It's a report in the Sun so of course its bollocks.

Half truths designed to provoke the 'PC gone mad - red faced outraged brigade' (and working well it seems, though I genuinely can't tell if any of the comments on this thread are serious so far)

Debate it if you must (though seems like there may be more important things to worry about). But at least do so on the basis of what actually happened and not a load of old tosh in the Sun. Taking that stuff at face value will always make you look silly.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I do like a bit of Sunday League handbags, especially when brought to us by my favourite YouTube team, Palmers FC. Come on you Palmers!

This particular collection of handbags starts at 6:20 in the video and is designed for the fashionistas.

It's clearly tongue-in-cheek and gently mocks those involved from both teams.

No-one's offended, no-one's hurt.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
who would actually find the time to complain about such things.

having said that it is about time women stopped using the term 'man flu'. I find it totally disrespectful.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
In one of the reports it does say ‘At one point he also said: "[he's] being a bit of a drama queen….. he’d have been better wearing a skirt."’
I think it’s the overall tone, repeated use of such phrases and his history of using sexist language. But that’s much more boring than “sacked for saying handbags!”

Yep, dinosaur. The ref's gonna be getting an earful from his misses when he goes home for his tea ... that sort of thing. It's not 'old school', it's dated.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I know quite a bit about handbags as it is my lovely wife’s ‘thing’

I would be pretty pissed off if she attacked any one with one of her many Dior, Cochinelle or Mulberry’s..

If she wanted to clump anyone I would expect her to use one of her Kate Spades but they’re not that cheap...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here