Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How has the year of lockdowns affected you ?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Should people feel grateful for the freedoms the government allows ?

Not when you put it like that but from my point of view it's been a time of taking stock, missing the things I've enjoyed the most and identifying those I don't need to return to post Covid. Mentally I have taken a hit but I'm coping better than I'd have imagined I could

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
it is not seeing mates every month. no annual xmas get together this year with them, no office meal, not seeing the albion for 9 months, no theatre, concerts i guess all the things i loved made life enyoyable just simple things we expected but not seeing dad again for another 2 weeks after 5 months before is making it really tough now, and no end date. That is the worst there seems no end to this

It is shit. The prospect of it not being shit at some point is well worth thinking about though.

Just imagine it. . . . . . .

That keeps me going. I even have an emoji I've found to post when it really is all over.

I was nudged into looking into my mental health by the missus during this, and it turns out I'm way off the scale on the autism/aspersgers spectrum, so my reaction to all this is probably a bit....nuanced. One bonus is I have enjoyed not having to interact with actual people (95% of whom seem peculiar to me). And I have been able to garden, obsessively. And make sure that no things in the house are in front of other things (which, for me, is an abomination). I could go on.

I wish you . . . . resolve, stoicism and all the joy you'll enjoy when it has all gone away :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
it is not seeing mates every month. no annual xmas get together this year with them, no office meal, not seeing the albion for 9 months, no theatre, concerts i guess all the things i loved made life enyoyable just simple things we expected but not seeing dad again for another 2 weeks after 5 months before is making it really tough now, and no end date. That is the worst there seems no end to this

It will end at some point.

Just imagine it as any Spielberg movie: normal people have normal lives, then get into a lot of shit but in the end everything turns well and everyone is happy.

Life is almost as predictable, buckets of shit happens along the way but anything that doesnt kill you turns out well or at least "not worst" in the end. One day we'll die but all the others we'll live.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My partner's Dad died in April, his family don't live locally so we had to watch the funeral on a livestream and he still hasn't seen them in person since. Neither of us has seen our families in person since Christmas/New Year last year - it has been, and continues to be, hard and frankly ****. Both of us have had mental health struggles as a result.

Work-wise we've been lucky - both worked from home since March, continuing to do so and neither of us has been on furlough.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For Mrs AR and myself it's been a bit of a shit end of the year.
Two weeks ago, we had to have our cat put to sleep.
Last week Mrs AR father passed away in Brighton hospital.
This weekend, my dad calls to tell me my mum has tested positive for CV19 in her care home.
CV19 has affected us, as we haven't been able to see family.
So if I had three bollox, they'd well and truly kicked.
Roll on 2021 :thumbsup:

Last edited:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The last year, and yes I know lockdown has only been 8 months, but for us the shit started last September when my wife received the bombshell of her cancer diagnosis out of the blue...

That knocked us sideways and after suffering physically and mentally (depression) at the back end of last year, she was admitted to hospital mid December last year, the same day my mum, who was suffering from dementia, had her “episode” when she stopped breathing and was hospitalised.

Fortunately mum and my wife saw the year out. My wife eventually started her chemotherapy at the beginning of January, but mum didn’t see the month out. At least we were able to give her a good send off before the world turned to shit - well, even more shit!

By the time we got to March and lockdown my wife’s counselling sessions had been moved to telephone, which she got zero out of and her depression was causing her massive problems.

Fortunately, help came from the weirdest of places, the British weather - we had a fantastic few months of really good sunshine and were able to make the most of our garden. Our little one was almost swimming in our paddling pool - in our own little world things seemed good, even if outside things clearly weren’t.

We battled through hiccups with shopping deliveries, goodie boxes from the government, even though we repeatedly told them we didn’t want them, my wife’s depression and trying to convince the LEA that our little one didn’t need to start school in September.

We have had ups, with the chemo going well and my daughter announcing her upcoming new arrival and downs, with the continued isolation. As a family, since shielding was “paused”, we go out once a day for a walk. We’ve not been to a shop since early March, just seeing people at the door. The highlights of our week are the Asda and Sainsbury’s deliveries (sad) and FaceTime chats with family.

I have started working as a consultant on the virtual Brighton fostering panel, while my wife is trying to empty the local Amazon warehouse. Christmas is fast approaching and hopefully a vaccine so we can see light at the end of a very dark tunnel.

It’s basically been a dead year, but with fingers crossed, if I make it to 80, then it won’t have been a waste.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Personal - Not much of a change really, don't go out much. Only real change is that my travel has been very much curtailed ( I do a lot of travel photography).
Business - My income from my catalogue of images is down by about 40%
Relationship - No change. Mrs Shingle is still hanging in there. I do have a darling grandson who I spend a lot of time with.
Health basis - Put on a couple of pounds and drinking a bit more, but otherwise ok.

I am very lucky all in all, bearing in mind the $hit that many people have had to go through.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
The lockdowns haven't really affected me that much as I work from home anyway. Covid on the other hand has f*****d this year up completely. Moved in January to a new house with a baby on the way. Tripled the mortgage and in March got told I'm on minus 25% wages knowing the wife was also going on mat leave. We have however coped well with lack of money and managed to save a bit due to not going out for meals etc but its the mental pressure that has got to me. Lack of seeing family due to being 150 miles away from Sussex. Have seen my 18year old lad 3 times this year. I ended up at the quacks a few months ago with severe depression. I think its covid, lack of family contact, baby blues it just got too much for me and i have had some very dark days.

However, I am lucky that I still have my health, a beautiful baby girl, and an amazing wife that has literally been my rock. As far as I'm concerned 2020 can do one and although 2021 seems to be much of the same with vaccines around the corner its looking a bit more rosy

So hang on in there people, keep the faith !

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
On balance I enjoyed it to be honest. I'm truly sorry for everyone who's lost a loved one or their jobs, of course, but as your asking personally then I really enjoyed the first lockdown, the peace and quiet, enjoyed the camadarie and global togetherness it inspired. Work has been fine and it's opened new opportunities and ways of working. It's been great for my personal bank balance. Most of all I've found it a kind of reset on my life that I really needed.

I'm annoyed I can't travel to Indonesia and that's been the biggest hardship, and losing most of the cricket season and a lot of my daughters sport is frustrating. Missed out on a festival and a couple of other things. But have come to appreciate a lot as well.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
It's been a really strange year for me. My manager stepped down and I took over the department just a couple of weeks before it all kicked off. Our sales increased during the first lockdown by almost 60% and our staff dropped by around 80%. I had supervised before but taking over a department was new to me, I had to learn on the job and it has been exceptionally stressful. My managers often lost sight of the fact I was not trained for the role which made it worse, it's hard not to take it home with you when working too many hours with not enough sleep and a lot on your shoulders. The expectations from management and all of the above finally got too much for me and I stepped down recently. It's not something I'm happy with myself for doing but it was absolutely the right choice for both my mental and physical health.
My Mrs has been in and out of furlough, which is still ongoing. She's fine with it as she's getting full pay so there's no financial worries for us. Stepdaughter has had hours reduced but she's quite lazy anyway so I think it suits her.
Overall, very grateful to still have a job and one that seems to have held up against recent events. Hugely grateful not to have lost anyone close to me and I could never thank the NHS enough for being the heroes throughout all of this.
Let's hope 2021 is a better year for everyone.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Surprised myself with how I (and my family) have coped. Had a few wobbles and weeks of being down but on the whole had coped admirably. Seem to be getting on better with the wife and kids despite wife & I both working from home all the time. Not a great pub goer or ones for eating out anyway so that’s no huge loss. Obviously wouldn’t like this to go on forever and am missing football or getting together with family or friends but can continue for a while longer with no big worries. Was a lot harder when kids were homeschooling but with them at school it’s almost ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Very mixed. Having a lockdown baby back at the beginning of it all was really tough but also meant I got to spend loads more time at home than I would've done, which was brilliant at the time. Second half arsed lockdown has been pretty tough on my wife on mat leave. Both our parents live elsewhere in the country now as well so both sets of parents haven't met our baby anywhere near as much as they would've which has been really tough on them.

But, job wise we've been lucky and (so far) our families have stayed in good health, so can't complain. Having a baby meant that I wouldn't have spent too much time at the pub etc anyway this year, and not being able to play as much sport and no temptation with going to the football has meant loads of chilled family weekends

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Been tough at work, 1st lockdown I had 40 minutes notice my branch was closing, 3 1/2 weeks later we reopened having been told at 2pm on the Thursday we would be reopening 8am friday. 4 weeks later I had symptoms so got tested (negative thankfully) and spent another 3 weeks on furlough however when I went back I knew my team was reducing from 17 to 9 with 2 being transferred to other branches. Low point for me telling 6 of my team that they were being made redundant.

Did some volunteer work delivering for Brighton scrub hub, every single person I delivered scrubs to were so grateful.

Lost my best mates dad who was buried week before 1st lockdown and a couple of mates during, none covid related.

Right now I’m just glad those close to me are ok, I’ve still got a job and fingers crossed I might get a ticket to get to the Amex before the end of the year.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Mrs has vascular dementia, so this year has been increasingly difficult.

She doesn't understand covid, doesn't social distance and won't wear a mask. She has chronic anxiety and general terror She also panics when left on her own. She doesn't understand when I say she can't come shopping with me - even if it's just for food.

Hence any social life we had has completely ceased, she follows me everywhere, and has volatile mood swings. Her mental health has definitely got worse because of the isolation Even though I can wfh, I am the only person she sees for days on end (except for the imaginary people she has delusions about). Her frustration and boredom are reflected in her mood swings.

The only good ( actually not good at all) thing about lockdowns, was a sense of "welcome to my world everybody. Now you know what living with somebody with dementia feels like". Frustrating, restricting, empty, boring, never-ending.

Her old self would be appalled at what she has deteriorated to, and it will only get worse.

Thankfully her meds help with some of the worse symptoms.

Also on a personal level, I haven't been able to see any family for 18 months and counting. Given my Mum is 87, that's a long time.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Personally a bit cheesed off that I can't visit a couple of friends for a cup of tea or a beer, and it would be nice to actually see folk at work rather than on a screen. But blimey - reading what some of you have been / are going through.......

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm really sorry for those who have suffered. I'm just more tetchy and grumpier than usual. Things like work colleagues failing to wash their hands after having a piss have turned me into a cycle path. Simple errors by me have me screaming 'hulk smash'!
Besides that, I've got away with it mentally

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I found the novelty of the first lockdown reasonably straightforward. I travel 2 hours to work and then 2 hours back again, so
suddenly I found I had a lot more time, more energy and was saving quite a bit on train fares. Did loads of walks around the area and stayed
fit as I could. The second lockdown I have found more difficult. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I miss my folks and friends
and the things I used to do so much more now. But the end is in sight now and I look forward to the feeling when I can drive to Brighton (50 miles),
see my Mum and Dad in Patcham and then go to the Amex for a game.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
My wife lost her brother to cancer, went from operable and curative to palliative care within days - primarily due to restrictions in oncological treatments due to Covid. They were inseparable. It would have been his 41st birthday on Dec 21st.

She took redundancy in November last year and started her own business in January which was doing well and then unable to work through lockdown and didn’t qualify for any government scheme.

Financially we’re struggling as a result and I’m lucky I still have my job but wfh with a two year old who doesn’t get why I can’t just play with her all the time and a wife struggling through bereavement and anxiety due to financial/business related stress is ****ing hard and despite our company saying it cares etc it doesn’t really.

On top of all of this I’ve had to take the ST refund and won’t be able to renew my ticket so not only have I lost interest in football due to no crowds/VAR etc I don’t even have the carrot of coming to games when we’re back to capacity and I can just relax with my mates and some beers.

Trying to keep a sense of perspective and I know there are so many people worse off than me but it bloody sucks.

Franky Small

Nov 29, 2020
UK
Before the lockdown I used to go to the gym 3 times a week but now I won't be able to pull myself up even 15 times. It's too bad that after so many years of weekly workouts I will have to start almost from scratch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here