Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] How has the year of lockdowns affected you ?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yes but we have a fixed capacity in our projects with nobody moving on during a lockdown, so day to day we saw the same residents. If that makes sense? In terms of waiting lists, for sure. It went high.
I know people that staff emergency accommodation, that’s where the big increase was apparent.

Made things tricky as we had a couple of very abusive clients who would normally have been moved on, instead we had to put up with abuse from them for about 4 months longer than we would have tolerated such behaviour. That gets very wearing after a while.

We personally have definitely dealt with more self harming and suicide attempts than normal. As well as more turbulent behaviour in general.

It’s also a very risky time for heroin addicts. With no drugs being able to get into the country, what is here is being cut with all sorts of nastiness to make it go further. Addicts are also diversifying and injecting all sorts of stuff.

The results we deal with range form temporary toxic psychosis to people overdosing. And also women going to more ruthless drug dealers who have held on to the market and sex workers taking more risks.

It’s been pretty bloody harsh mate. In October I did over 300 hours. I’ll be working my third Christmas in a row, working 24,25,26 and 27th. If I can be selfish for a moment, I am looking forward to getting vaccinated and going on three weeks leave somewhere very calm and very sunny

Hats off to you. If we ever meet I'll be happy to buy you a pint for doing a thankless job I don't think I have the spine for. All the points you made are pretty much a reflection of what happened in here also, except with an exponential rise in femicides. Spain already had a pretty alarming gender violence issue (with many heads remaining in the sand over the years), but the first lockdown really brought it home for many.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It’s been a very turbulent year for me. It started off well not having to commute to central London for work which I hated. It really felt like I had struck gold. However in April my grandad caught covid in his nursing home and passed away (he was 85 and had underlining issues). They tried to stream the funeral but the internet went down so we got sent a video of it a few weeks later. He is in a better place now however I just feel uncomfortable about the lack of a send off for such a great man. I was then furloughed for 2 months but luckily we have some saving so that kept us going. Work is all back to normal (just more busy and stressful) so we are lucky that we don’t have to worry about finances. We had our second little boy arrive in Sep and that has been hard. The sleepless nights and a hyperactive, anxious 4 year old all in a 2 bed flat. I do appreciate working from home ad having the opportunity to spend more time with my new baby boy however I am struggling to bond due to my mental state. My mum had covid a cpl of weeks ago and was struggling to breath, she said she felt like she was going to die but after a week thank god she was ok. My new worry is my dad yesterday was told that requires a biopsy, which is really making me worry. I am a happy, bubbly person but deep down always feel on the edge, I feel like I am soon to crack but am trying to hold it together for the family… I am a very anxious person and seeing my mum and dad so depressed, seeing friends struggle, even reading some of the awful stories on here just makes me feel really sad.

Everyone that has posted on here probably does not realise just how being so honest and open about heir circumstance can help others. We will get over this crap and we will appreciate each other much more. Love to all.

hope it went well mate

Good luck fella, don't feel guilty, being anxious is rubbish, I suffer and it is hard with everything that is going on not just in your life, but what your expected to do and feel is a burden in its self. I ignored the wife and daughter for a while and sunk into self pity and loathing and we had a garden and a house with two spare rooms I could sulk off to, living in a flat is tuff during anytime with a growing family, as I said earlier good luck, remember there is always light in our lives sometimes you just have to try and push the clouds out of the way...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's been a bad year all round. My income has plummeted as all my regular clients have cut back during these uncertain times. We've already told the kids that there'll be less money for presents this year and we're making plans for a frugal Christmas. I've tried looking for other work but, at 64, I'm not too optimistic.

And, of course, all the activities that keep me in good mental health have taken a knock. No Albion, very little cricket (and none to watch) and a limited amount of rugby. The only bright spot has been the amount of free theatre and opera content online - that's been an absolute blessing.

I'm still relatively healthy however (I'm pretty sure I had Covid in the early part of the lockdown as I was very ill for three weeks) and have spent some time learning Italian and playing a lot of online chess. We still have a roof over our heads and will not be hungry at Christmas so I'm fully aware it could be worse.

I really hope that 2021 is going to better - although I fear it will be worse

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I was fortunate work wise this year that our clients have found their workload continuing or improving so they wanted to continue our services - a couple switched off but are getting closer to being back on full retainers. I've only had 6 days off this year, but thats more because i'd rather work than have to sit around the house and do **** all, as that really was the alternative. Financially it's not a bad one.

Personally, my mental health has wavered a bit - i'm used to dealing with depression and anxiety but the opportunity to go out daily into the woods and go for walks with family has been a plus. I've not been able to see my friends as much as i'd like as i know they've been struggling which is shit. I've had things that I was looking forward to this year cancelled (friends wedding, Tough Mudder) but in the grand scheme of things, those are nothing compared to what people have had to go through. Working from home has been good to get more routine and more hours in the day (gaining an hour from not travelling to work) but getting back into the office during this lockdown (we shouldn't, but there's only 2 of us and we are fairly self-contained in our office block) has helped break the logjam. I have had some very low periods, but as someone mentioned, LD2 has been easier as we have an idea of when things will end...LD1 just felt like Groundhog day. It has been a struggle and i'd hate to relive it.

If anyone wants to use my inbox as a place to rant about anything, then it's always open. This place can be so wonderful when one of our own needs help.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
interesting reading all responses. a mixed bag indeed.
my circumstances have been challenging at times. the good fortune to have slightly diversified in education end of last year, and my contract was renewed in april. I was used to working remotely anyway, so that was no change. i had my meltdown early doors.... as someone who lives alone and without a partner ( thankfully binned that last year.. THAT wouldve been hell on earth to deal with this year), i am used to my own company. it has been a theme since childhood. but the marked difference is.. choosing to be alone and having that enforced upon you. that is tough. it brought up a lot of past issues, family stuff, which has taken me years to really get to grips with. it has also seen me thankful for what i have, the garden, the amazing friends who have kept me sane with weekly long phone catch-ups.. i know i have hermitted a fair bit and undone the health improvement from last year - but all can be begun again. perspective really - fortunate to have friends who have recovered from covid and have not had to experience the pain of lockdown grief. my heart goes out to all of you who have suffered. it is a good job i dont drink - now if someone could tell me covid is in chocolate, id be a skinny bitch! x

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
This is a lovely thread (perhaps not the right word) ..when the news seems all about numbers ..this thread is about individuals..all having their particular story to tell.

I wish you all a better 2021

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s been a very turbulent year for me. It started off well not having to commute to central London for work which I hated. It really felt like I had struck gold. However in April my grandad caught covid in his nursing home and passed away (he was 85 and had underlining issues). They tried to stream the funeral but the internet went down so we got sent a video of it a few weeks later. He is in a better place now however I just feel uncomfortable about the lack of a send off for such a great man. I was then furloughed for 2 months but luckily we have some saving so that kept us going. Work is all back to normal (just more busy and stressful) so we are lucky that we don’t have to worry about finances. We had our second little boy arrive in Sep and that has been hard. The sleepless nights and a hyperactive, anxious 4 year old all in a 2 bed flat. I do appreciate working from home ad having the opportunity to spend more time with my new baby boy however I am struggling to bond due to my mental state. My mum had covid a cpl of weeks ago and was struggling to breath, she said she felt like she was going to die but after a week thank god she was ok. My new worry is my dad yesterday was told that requires a biopsy, which is really making me worry. I am a happy, bubbly person but deep down always feel on the edge, I feel like I am soon to crack but am trying to hold it together for the family… I am a very anxious person and seeing my mum and dad so depressed, seeing friends struggle, even reading some of the awful stories on here just makes me feel really sad.

Everyone that has posted on here probably does not realise just how being so honest and open about heir circumstance can help others. We will get over this crap and we will appreciate each other much more. Love to all.

hope it went well mate

I hope you have someone you can talk to about the burden you feel you are carrying ..if not maybe it’s something you need to seek out ..maybe someone on here can help

Wish you well

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I am an accountant, I've never known it so busy but not necessarily in a good way.

Morally, I feel I can't charge for advice related to Covid and I'm taking a hit on every furlough claim I make. I don't mind this because I want to help people but I am worried about my own health as the work has been relentless - I've had one week off in 9 months. I haven't gone anywhere or seen anyone because I cannot afford the possibility of being sidelined by Covid.

I have the Self-Assessment Tax Return deadline on 31st January but throw in two more rounds of furlough claims AND lots of clients needing to revise their 2020/21 Payments on Account downwards and I will be lucky to to get just the Yuletide bank holidays off.

The government has done nothing to extend any Tax Return filing deadlines for personal tax, corporation tax, VAT, PAYE, CIS, they even went ahead with the new CGT on residential property declaration which has a filing and payment deadline of one month.

Therefore, if there are any bookkeepers, accountants, tax agents out there - good luck and stay strong!

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I hope you have someone you can talk to about the burden you feel you are carrying ..if not maybe it’s something you need to seek out ..maybe someone on here can help

Wish you well

Thanks mate. NSC really does help. I know that so many people are all currently fighting there own little battles and morale is so low, however seeing that you aren't alone is a great help.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I was fortunate work wise this year that our clients have found their workload continuing or improving so they wanted to continue our services - a couple switched off but are getting closer to being back on full retainers. I've only had 6 days off this year, but thats more because i'd rather work than have to sit around the house and do **** all, as that really was the alternative. Financially it's not a bad one.

Personally, my mental health has wavered a bit - i'm used to dealing with depression and anxiety but the opportunity to go out daily into the woods and go for walks with family has been a plus. I've not been able to see my friends as much as i'd like as i know they've been struggling which is shit. I've had things that I was looking forward to this year cancelled (friends wedding, Tough Mudder) but in the grand scheme of things, those are nothing compared to what people have had to go through. Working from home has been good to get more routine and more hours in the day (gaining an hour from not travelling to work) but getting back into the office during this lockdown (we shouldn't, but there's only 2 of us and we are fairly self-contained in our office block) has helped break the logjam. I have had some very low periods, but as someone mentioned, LD2 has been easier as we have an idea of when things will end...LD1 just felt like Groundhog day. It has been a struggle and i'd hate to relive it.

If anyone wants to use my inbox as a place to rant about anything, then it's always open. This place can be so wonderful when one of our own needs help.

I found my mood definitely gets lower during the evening/night. Same as you though i found that if i went for a nice walk in some along the river, or in the woods and just tried to clear my mind it would help. I do miss the gym, as i find that good for escapism, so it is good that they will open up this week. Also been taking vitamin D and zinc supplements. Just anything that may help i will try. On the bad side i am smoking more and have gone from 3 a day to 15 but i will knock this on the head.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I got promoted at work, and nobody I know has caught the virus.

I’ve been very fortunate, when others haven’t.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Everyone has a bad period in life. On the plus side, it can teach resilience and perspective.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
On the plus side I kept my job despite cutbacks etc.
On the downside I lost my dad to Covid-19 during the first lockdown so never got to say goodbye.
I have very little (read: no) time for people who think its 'just flu' and those that don't care about spreading it can go live on Selhurst catering for life for all i care for them! :censored: :censored:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
It's been an interesting year, that's for sure.

My congregation hasn't met since March, but I'm still employed by them and delivering services online. The Canadian government is kindly paying the church about 75% of my salary, which is very nice of them.

In July, we sold our rather large building (it is now a mosque and an Islamic school, which didn't please all the neighbours) and stuck a wad of cash in the bank. We leased a lovely new (but smaller) home but haven't met in it once. If and when we finally meet again, how many members will return is a bit of an unknown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here