Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Clear and obvious error

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Goals are being regularly disallowed for players being an inch offside, which is less obvious then a rash attempt at a clearance. Obviously missed by the referee and, unfortunately for Liverpool, obviously a penalty. Clearly a penalty and obviously missed by the referee.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Any broadcaster employing Walton have made a clear and obvious error

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I was really glad Walton was on commentary today. During the VAR review for the penalty, the minute he said it wasn't a penalty, I knew it was going to be given. :thumbsup: :lolol:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It winds me up on BT games where every decision is referred to him.

"That kick off, can I bring you in Peter, in your opinion did he kick that ball hard enough"

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Can we all help Peter Walton out by defining ‘clear and obvious error ?’
For me it is unmeasurable. A decision is subjectively either right or wrong.

A clear and obvious error is to assume that this is all VAR is for, it is also used in the case of a "serious missed incident" it may be that the ref did not see the kick on Welbeck, and therefore it was a missed incident, now we just need to define serious.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can we all help Peter Walton out by defining ‘clear and obvious error ?’
For me it is unmeasurable. A decision is subjectively either right or wrong.[/QU

Bloke needs to be put down.
In a humane way naturally.

No need for his irrelevant waffling on broadcast televison

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Jake Humphries still bears a grudge- had the penalty been the other way round he would barley have mentioned it. All rthe times Ive seen him when Brighton are playing he is very much in the anti brighton camp.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A clear and obvious error is to assume that this is all VAR is for, it is also used in the case of a "serious missed incident" it may be that the ref did not see the kick on Welbeck, and therefore it was a missed incident, now we just need to define serious.

Agreed. What’s a bit weird is that Walton seems to think it means ‘clear and obvious to Peter Walton that it is an error.’ If someone in the VAR team think it is a clear and obvious error that is actually all that is necessary for a referral to the referee. I don’t think I would have given the penalty even with the benefit of slow motion but I am perplexed by the mental contortions Walton is going through over a very simple concept.

If the referee didn't think he made a mistake he is not obliged to change his mind after looking at the monitor. Attwell believed he had missed the contact so it was a clear and obvious error - Walton clearly doesn't understand the concept.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
He said the same last week on the Villa penalty decision. Disagreed with that too.

So perhaps Walton needs to look at the way he’s interpreting this and realise he’s getting it wrong?

That’s twice in two weeks now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
What they need to do is remove the reference to 'clear and obvious'. There is no finite definition of what exactly that means. Remove it and you'll remove 90% of the debate over these decisions!!!

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
What they need to do is remove the reference to 'clear and obvious'. There is no finite definition of what exactly that means. Remove it and you'll remove 90% of the debate over these decisions!!!

This. The problem is VAR is correct all the time. The ref might not have seen the player with his big toe offside when he scored, is that clear?, No but obviously you can not give the goal. Get rid of the wording clear and obvious, then decide to either keep VAR and check every goal, handball or penalty decision, or bin VAR, let the referee run the game and make the decision and accept human mistakes.

What ever happens no football fan, player or pundit will be happy.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

its that good old common sense thing. of course its obvious what clear and obvious means, those incidents that occur but the ref misses due to position, speed of game, off ball etc. trouble is the video make every damn transgression obvious with 5x slow mo and 18 cameras. apply the rule, its clear and obvious to the 4th official, so he'll clearly will refer it. i say there should be a tight time limit, if 4th cant decide a ref missed something in a few seconds, it wasn't obvious and so play on. the irony is the condition is intended to stop every tiny incident being reviewed and refered to the ref. its not working.

seeing the Welbeck penalty, i couldnt even say its even a foul, two players go for ball, neither get it and one clips the other. despite benefiting from it, i dont like it, wasnt a deserved penalty.

Last edited:

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
its that good old common sense thing. of course its obvious what clear and obvious means, those incidents that occur but the ref misses due to position, speed of game, off ball etc. trouble is the video make every damn transgression obvious with 5x slow mo and 18 cameras. apply the rule, its clear and obvious to the 4th official, so he'll clearly will refer it. i say there should be a tight time limit, if 4th cant decide a ref missed something in a few seconds, it wasn't obvious and so play on. the irony is the condition is intended to stop every tiny incident being reviewed and refered to the ref. its not working.

seeing the Welbeck penalty, i couldnt even say its even a foul, two players go for ball, neither get it and one clips the other. despite benefiting from it, i dont like it, wasnt a deserved penalty.

Robinson kicks Welbeck, this stops him getting to ball, that is a foul. It doesn't matter if it's a deserved penalty, in the laws of the game this is a foul. If this happens in the penalty area it's a penalty.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The spirit of a clear and obvious error mooted with the introduction of VAR vanished the day they started measuring the millimetres for someone being offside. The implementation of VAR shows how the best intentions can be ruined by jobsworts justifying their own existence.
The only clear and obvious error is this system being continued.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Jake Humphries still bears a grudge- had the penalty been the other way round he would barley have mentioned it. All rthe times Ive seen him when Brighton are playing he is very much in the anti brighton camp.

....... just as many of us are in the anti Jake Humphries camp. I’ve never liked him anyway, even before the wonderful Norwich/dreadful Brighton thing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here