Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Nigel Owens ....100th test match

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I rate this guy one of the best refs in sport ....due to officiate his 100th test match today and it maybe his last, as he has stated his desire to stop officiating test matches this year.

The guy is well respected as a person as well as his referring abilities.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I rate this guy one of the best refs in sport ....due to officiate his 100th test match today and it maybe his last, as he has stated his desire to stop officiating test matches this year.

The guy is well expected as a person as well as his referring abilities.

Going against the grain, as I know most rugby aficionados rate him as one of the best refs in the world, he irritates the feck out of me with trying to make himself the centre of attention. He is the Complete And Utter Shyster of the Rugby Union World imo.

Just watch the end of the game between Racing and Exeter in the Heineken Cup final for proof of him making everything about him. ****

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Going against the grain, as I know most rugby aficionados rate him as one of the best refs in the world, he irritates the feck out of me with trying to make himself the centre of attention. He is the Complete And Utter Shyster of the Rugby Union World imo

Football...sorry rugby, a game of opinions lol

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Going against the grain, as I know most rugby aficionados rate him as one of the best refs in the world, he irritates the feck out of me with trying to make himself the centre of attention. He is the Complete And Utter Shyster of the Rugby Union World imo.

Just watch the end of the game between Racing and Exeter in the Heineken Cup final for proof of him making everything about him. ****

'This is not soccer...'

You see, I disagree. Having watched rugby faithfully for so long I think he is one of the better top referees. He didn't get the 2015 World Cup Final and the 2019 semi-final for his eccentricities.

He isn't the top decision maker, but he has the respect of all the players. And, yes, he does play a little on his mistress reputation- but most folk love it. He's not The Complete And Utter Shyster. Although Dean is a good ref.

I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to scale things down soon. It's a hard slog and I would have thought he would get plenty of work outside the sport. I would love to see him on a pundits panel.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
'This is not soccer...'

You see, I disagree. Having watched rugby faithfully for so long I think he is one of the better top referees. He didn't get the 2015 World Cup Final and the 2019 semi-final for his eccentricities.

He isn't the top decision maker, but he has the respect of all the players. And, yes, he does play a little on his mistress reputation- but most folk love it. He's not The Complete And Utter Shyster. Although Dean is a good ref.

I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to scale things down soon. It's a hard slog and I would have thought he would get plenty of work outside the sport. I would love to see him on a pundits panel.

As I posted he is looking to stop officiating test rugby this year

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

Played the game and have ref’d a few (granted 3rd string uni games). He is everything you want in a rugby ref. He talks to players continuously letting them understand what is and isn’t acceptable and when they are on the edge of conceding penalties.
The irony of rugby is that if a ref blew up for every infringement that occurred the game would grind to a halt. That’s why you hear the ref telling players to ‘stay on side’, to ‘let the ball go’, ‘back feet’, when it’s a tackle and when a ruck is formed. Telling playing off for being dicks is part of the job.
He’s isn’t the first person to do this. Clive Norling was the master of it. Gavin Hasting said one of the most embarrassing incidents was during a Culcutta cup game when Norling tore Hasting and Will Carling a new one. He equated it to being bollocked by the headmaster.
He is what other rugby refs aspire to be.
To class him in the same light as the Complete and Utter Shyster is an abomination and you sir are going straight to hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Played the game and have ref’d a few (granted 3rd string uni games). He is everything you want in a rugby ref. He talks to players continuously letting them understand what is and isn’t acceptable and when they are on the edge of conceding penalties.
The irony of rugby is that if a ref blew up for every infringement that occurred the game would grind to a halt. That’s why you hear the ref telling players to ‘stay on side’, to ‘let the ball go’, ‘back feet’, when it’s a tackle and when a ruck is formed. Telling playing off for being dicks is part of the job.
He’s isn’t the first person to do this. Clive Norling was the master of it. Gavin Hasting said one of the most embarrassing incidents was during a Culcutta cup game when Norling tore Hasting and Will Carling a new one. He equated it to being bollocked by the headmaster.
He is what other rugby refs aspire to be.
To class him in the same light as the Complete and Utter Shyster is an abomination and you sir are going straight to hell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great post.

International rugby refs in the main try to keep a game flowing, they advise players to prevent avoidable infringements at set pieces, restarts. They allow brief enquiring discussions from captains.

Most EPL refs seem to have a gotcha whistle happy approach, allied to an arrogant stern look and talking down to players.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here