Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Fridat night drinking thread...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Couldn’t see a thread so....

A few gentle Peroni’s tonight while listening to the We Have Ways podcast. Excellent episode detailing the trial and subsequent war trials relating to the Doolittle raid on Tokyo, WW2. And a glass of Gran Lomo Malbec to round the night off later. You chaps/chapettes?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yarra Valley 2015 de Bortoli Pinot Noir to start, then I’ll be investigating the content of the box from Honest Brew that arrived this afternoon.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Entry level lager(probably) is my preferred tipple for this evenings epl snorefest football event
She loves me, she bought me beer

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Well the Honest Brew box has done well to start, Giant Double Step DDIPA from CRAK brewery in Italy, and now onto another DDIPA from Spain, Galactic Sunrise from Cervecera Peninsula, and blimey it’s a bitter one, yum.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not at all, when bang on, are there two better wines in existence?

Red and white Burgundy from the Cote d'Or, Barolo, some German Riesling but, apart from those, in my view, no. A really good Xinamarova is catching up fast in my estimation, but it's still got further to go.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Red and white Burgundy from the Cote d'Or, Barolo, some German Riesling but, apart from those, in my view, no. A really good Xinamarova is catching up fast in my estimation, but it's still got further to go.

I have a fairly eclectic taste range, my all time favourite is a Barossa, St Hallet Old Block Shiraz but my cellar has more claret in it than any other. I like to buy en primeur when a good vintage is declared. A super dry Chablis/Chardonnay makes my day, as does a properly aged Rioja. And as for vintage port, it’s a wonderful thing to have. You mentioned Riesling, I like a dry one, do you have any particular preferences as I’ve not found anything that really floats my boat recently, German or elsewhere.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
5 cans of Scrumpy Jack, it may be cheap but it gets you there.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
A Harvey’s Christmas Ale before dinner. A bottle of Argentinian Chardonnay with dinner. And a decent Armagnac whilst watching Croydon FC crumble to NUFC. We’ve had worse days Rodders.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I have a fairly eclectic taste range, my all time favourite is a Barossa, St Hallet Old Block Shiraz but my cellar has more claret in it than any other. I like to buy en primeur when a good vintage is declared. A super dry Chablis/Chardonnay makes my day, as does a properly aged Rioja. And as for vintage port, it’s a wonderful thing to have. You mentioned Riesling, I like a dry one, do you have any particular preferences as I’ve not found anything that really floats my boat recently, German or elsewhere.

Yes, off-dry, Kabinett is what I like. Ideally from the Mosel. Really good as pre-dinner drinks, with Asian foods, or fish/chicken. I'm a big fan of Van Volxem, but J J Prum is good too. I suspect that [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]* might provide better advice.

*Speaking of which, (I think) I introduced him to Heymann-Lowenstein, which is a cracking producer. Available at Butlers.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Woke up this morning with the magnificent **** that is gout in my foot so a few days off for me.

I've drunk so much during isolation I'm surprised my liver and kidneys haven't died. I drank 11 cans of strongbow last night and apart from the gout I felt absolutely fine and have done all day...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Yes, off-dry, Kabinett is what I like. Ideally from the Mosel. Really good as pre-dinner drinks, with Asian foods, or fish/chicken. I'm a big fan of Van Volxem, but J J Prum is good too. I suspect that [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION]* might provide better advice.

*Speaking of which, (I think) I introduced him to Heymann-Lowenstein, which is a cracking producer. Available at Butlers.

Nice, will take a look, prefer a fully dry one, like to have it as a drink, got converted to it in Aus, but will look at Butlers. As for [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION], nah, he knows nothing [emoji1]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Yes, I have opinions about wine, as you know. However, your opinions are at least as valid as mine, if not more so. Van Volxem is superb (as you well know). I would rate JJ Prum slightly higher than your (oh so subtle) slight dissing.

You did indeed introduce me to Heymann-Lowenstein. Very fine it was too.

I note that you choose not to note those growers that I introduced you to. How disappointing. Gallo springs to mind.

Tonight: ‘91 Jaboulet Cornas vs ‘91 Guigal Hermitage. Cornas wins easily (3-0). Somewhat surprising, huh?

Nice, will take a look, prefer a fully dry one, like to have it as a drink, got converted to it in Aus, but will look at Butlers. As for [MENTION=27447]Goldstone1976[/MENTION], nah, he knows nothing [emoji1]

Far cough.:smile:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Finished up with an Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight bourbon and a can of Siren Lumina from the Honest Brew box, oh and a Divide and Conquer Vocation New England Pale.

*comes across sounding all [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION]

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Finished up with an Eagle Rare Kentucky Straight bourbon and a can of Siren Lumina from the Honest Brew box, oh and a Divide and Conquer Vocation New England Pale.

Very good.

Except that [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] wouldn’t have your erudition or eloquence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here