Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Planning Permission (Granted) Issue

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I won’t for obvious reasons divulge addresses etc but to cut a long story short a planning permission has been granted opposite me without my knowledge, I didn’t receive any of the usual correspondence from the planning dept nor were their any sign attached to lamp posts in my street!

The reason for this is in my opinion is whilst the development is in my street, the address is currently associated with the adjacent road.

Also worth pointing out I have established PP was originally refused and recently granted.

I have no real beef with the proposed development per se more the 8 months of carnage that will be created by the volume of commercial vehicles supporting the build will cause in a tight cul de sac.

I wasn’t given the opportunity to share my concerns at planning stages and was wondering wether the planning department need to revise the planning and re hear due to lack of full and proper communication to residents in the road of the development not the associated address?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I won’t for obvious reasons divulge addresses etc but to cut a long story short a planning permission has been granted opposite me without my knowledge, I didn’t receive any of the usual correspondence from the planning dept nor were their any sign attached to lamp posts in my street!

The reason for this is in my opinion is whilst the development is in my street, the address is currently associated with the adjacent road.

Also worth pointing out I have established PP was originally refused and recently granted.

I have no real beef with the proposed development per se more the 8 months of carnage that will be created by the volume of commercial vehicles supporting the build will cause in a tight cul de sac.

I wasn’t given the opportunity to share my concerns at planning stages and was wondering wether the planning department need to revise the planning and re hear due to lack of full and proper communication to residents in the road of the development not the associated address?

Once the permission is issued, that is pretty much it other than judicial review. Check on the planning register website, search the address/application reference no. and it will list all the addresses notifications were sent to, and will also list all the responses received.

You can complain you weren't consulted, but it won't change the decision notice. They judged the application acceptable.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Once the permission is issued, that is pretty much it other than judicial review. Check on the planning register website, search the address/application reference no. and it will list all the addresses notifications were sent to, and will also list all the responses received.

You can complain you weren't consulted, but it won't change the decision notice. They judged the application acceptable.

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply [emoji106]

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

This is all true, planning applications are public access available to all to view, so you did have the opportunity and anyone can comment on the application not just those notified.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
This is all true, planning applications are public access available to all to view, so you did have the opportunity and anyone can comment on the application not just those notified.

What [MENTION=534]Chicken Run[/MENTION] is clearly lacking is a busy-body neighbour to let him know an application had been submitted! :)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Again thank you for taking the time to respond, I would say, how was I to know the planning application was submitted (It’s less than 60 meters from me), I’m only now aware as the plot is up for sale?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Again thank you for taking the time to respond, I would say, how was I to know the planning application was submitted (It’s less than 60 meters from me), I’m only now aware as the plot is up for sale?

Problem solved, buy the plot.
I'm the nosey person who checks planning permissions on a monthly basis just in case someone has sneaked in an application for 300 houses on a flood plain behind me. They did once but got thrown out.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
In my borough (Eastleigh) you can actually ask for notifications of planning applications within a certain distance of you.

Not a lot of use to you, though.......

Disruption caused by building the development is not a planning consent consideration per se but there might have been conditions attached to the permission which deal with operating hours etc.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
Disruption caused by building the development is not a planning consent consideration per se but there might have been conditions attached to the permission which deal with operating hours etc.

More pertinently, there could well be a condition requiring the submission and approval of a construction management plan.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Last year the planning dept wrote to advise me of a neighbour’s planning application to build an extension. I replied advising them that my neighbour had already built it some six months previously and it was much larger than their application. I never received a response, so I wouldn’t hold out much hope for your neighbour’s being challenged.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

The local planning office will have attached a notice to a nearby lamppost or telegraph pole or fence nearby for all to see that pass by.

Also as [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] mentioned, you can go online to your planning office and request to be notified of any or all applications made in your area at the time they are made.

Planning is very public access, trouble is people just aren't aware of how much..

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The local planning office will have attached a notice to a nearby lamppost or telegraph pole or fence nearby for all to see that pass by.

Also as [MENTION=22975]DavidinSouthampton[/MENTION] mentioned, you can go online to your planning office and request to be notified of any or all applications made in your area at the time they are made.

Planning is very public access, trouble is people just aren't aware of how much..

All good points and noted, there were no notices in our street though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here